Dizzy

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Rosiemae
    on

Hello I’m new to this diet I am on day 3 and I am looking for advice, Day 1 and 2 were fine little bit of hunger but ok. Today I am exhausted and dizzy and I feel a bit spaced out Im a nurse so I need energy and a clear mind. Can you tell me how long this lasts for? Hopefully someone can give me some advice 🙂

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Rosiemae and welcome to the site. It looks from where you have entered your post that you are doing the BSD. Are there any medical reasons for this as it is designed for diabetics although you dont have to be to do it. Are you sticking to the 800 calories and very low carbs. If you are you might very well be suffering from carb flu. It is similar to withdrawal from any drug or substance your body craves. Carbs drive hunger and if you dont feed them to your body it goes into withdrawal – sorry, a bit repetitious.

Anyway, it is nothing to worry about and you should start to feel better in a couple of days or max of a week. Of course, there may be some weakness due to the v.l. calories too but once your body starts burning fats instead of calories you will have enough energy for normal life. Do not skimp on good fats and they fill you up and are so much better for you than the low fat alternatives which contain bulking out carbs or sugars.

Tell us a little more about what you are eating, doing, etc and keep going, it gets so much easier.

• posted by Rosiemae
    on

Thankyou for your reply sunshine girl! I have heard of carb flu I wasn’t expecting it so soon.
    I don’t have diabetes but I have put on 11kg through the pandemic I have a Total of 19kg I want to loose. But I don’t seem to be able to stick to a diet.
    So I do skip breakfast but always have and I have been having soup for lunch from the recipe book broccoli and blue cheese and then bean chilli with yog and cheese and then some strawberries for desert with a bit of yoghurt full fat. I cycle to work and back on an electric bike 20miles in total.
    I feel better that this is normal and will switch over to burning fat soon.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi again, the reason I asked, and you will know this being a nurse, if you had any medical conditions any advice would have to be tailored to consider that. None of us are officially medical although I too was a nurse but many years ago. Currently I am the voice of the diabetics and try to give the benefit of my own experience on this diet.

Yes carb flu kicks in within a couple of days, once your body realises it is not getting its fix. If you find you lack energy in the early days it might be an idea to have a high protein breakfast or a snack like a boil egg just to set you up for the working day. Also, you can fit in a snack within you calorie allowance just to break up any slumps in the day.

There is a weekly thread if you feel like joining in, it always starts on a Tuesday so is called one week at a time …… with the date. This weeks is dated 2nd Nov. It allows people to just pop in and chat or ask any questions and includes newbies and oldies.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Rosiemae
    Yes, I experienced a couple of dizzy spells at the beginning – first week or two I think – but fine after that. Once the carb flu had disappeared I had so much more energy than I’d had for a long time. It’s great.
    Also, I can’t remember what MM says about exercise when you first start BSD (need to go back and read the book!) but I remember watching a presentation where Roy Taylor – another cycle rider – (whose Newcastle Diet heavily influenced the BSD – he wrote the intro to the BSD) says to go easy on exercise initially while you’re adjusting. I know you might have to bike to work but maybe take it easier generally as and when you can for the first few weeks.
    Jennie xx
    Nice food by the way. Yum

Please log in or register to post a reply.