DEXA scans

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

As anyone done a DEXA scan before?

I have, a couple years ago, and my fat percentage was a massive 47% which puts me as extremely obese. It was very shocking given that my BMI was only in the overweight category.
    After a couple of calculation, I found out that if my lean mass stayed the same, to achieve a 25% body fat percentage, I would need to weight 54kg. I have never been that weight, not even when I was a super slim 16yo wearing EU clothes sized 34, even then I was 58kg!

Anyway that makes me think that the DEXA scan might not be that reliable. And would love to hear from your experiences!
    Not sure I should pay for a repeat scan 😅

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I had an unofficial scan at the gym on a machine called Boditrax and I was 41.2% and muscle mass was 44 kg. After losing around 3kg my fat percentage went down to around 40% and my muscle mass was down to 42 kg, so it looks like I lost fat and muscle. More worrying was bone density which went from 2.4 kg down to 2.3, so I lost bone. I somehow dont think these machines are very accurate and depend on lots of other things. One thing being how much water you have drunk. If the scan you had was under medical supervision with a super duper machine I wouldn’t take much notice. I just use it as a guide so I can see how I am doing. The only thing that did improve with weight loss was visceral fat down from 13.1 cc’s to 12, which is in the okay range.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi, Did you get any additional information from the scan, did it show where the fat was, ie is it around organs or under the skin.
    I have not had a Dexa scan, I did have a scan on a machine that reports on body composition. The modern version of the machine apparently retails for around £6K, so not a cheap piece of kit but no where as expensive as a Dexa machine. . – I was surprised by the results so I asked around about the reliability, and was told that these machines can struggle to correctly assess the tissues and amount of fat around organs.

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

Yes Im not convinced the machines are super reliable. I mean I have a healthy BMI (top range) and somehow my body is supposed to be half fat?
    JGwen yes it came with a report, basically fat everywhere 😀

Please log in or register to post a reply.