Day 4 and I'm ready to take down a grown man and barbecue him

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by molzify
    on

Hi all! I started the BSD on the 9th of Jan, when I returned to my university accommodation and have felt really positive the last 3 days, I’ve stuck to it religiously and drank lots of water as well as hitting the gym and reaching 9000 steps daily (I don’t drive so walking to lectures helps to bump up my steps!).

But now its day 4 and I just feel like this demon-like hunger has awoken inside me! I had the Portobello “toast” with goat’s cheese and pine nuts and everything was fine, I got on with my morning, did my laundry, completed an assignment but 2 hours after my lunch (sardine dip) ALL I can think about it bread and chocolate! I’ve brushed my teeth and drank loads of water but nothing seems to be shifting these cravings, does anyone have any tips?

(I have a feeling I might need a magnesium boost but my multivitamins are in the mail room on campus and I can’t collect until after 4pm!)

-Mollie

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I think you’ve made the acquaintance of your carb monster. It is insistent that it needs feeding now, but can be ignored as it is not hunger, just cravings. The good news is, after a week or so it hides in a corner and sulks until you eat something it likes, at which point it starts shouting at you again. Don’t give in to the carb monster, it only encourages it.

You could try cocoa nibs to calm the chocolate cravings, or stir a spoon of cocoa into Greek style yoghurt, that worked for me. Bread is more difficult as practically nothing has the same texture, but maybe try half a slice of rye bread toast. It won’t be as destructive as white bread, but you don’t want to do it too often.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

I’ve just got the Tom Kerridge low-carb cookery book and he has an interesting recipe for chocolate chia pudding.

• posted by Daisymay
    on

Day 4 was a killer for me too! I have had carb flu but it’s settling down a bit now but really struggling 11 days in! 6lbs off in the first week now nothing and have had more calories than I am supposed too, not masses but a 100-200 so fell down about it. I might switch to the low carb Mediterranean diet with 2 days at 800 as fed up feeling like this. I am fasting every day until 1-2pm and am having a dry Jan so it’s all going on except in the number 2 dept where nothing is going on !!! I think those of you sticking to your 800 for the 8 weeks plus are amazing, will try again tomorrow, it’s another day ! Guess it doesn’t help my husband is on the diet doctor and I am cooking his amazing food and trying to adapt to lower fat and therefore calories for me. On the plus side I thought I would get my blood sugar tested on a American unit and it came out at 81 which on the internet says no problems with diebetics, just the stone and a half then !! Saw Tom Kerrage on TV today 11stone off on low carb so it works and yes his book looks great. Onwards and downwards. Best if luck to all

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Do not move off the 800 DaiseyMay!! It is going to get easier and easier as you move forward. It’s like learning a new language — you mispronounce words and use the wrong tense, then suddenly your brain “gets it” and it’s all much easier. You don’t have to be exactly 800 every day — I think most days I messed up and ate closer to 950 but it totally worked. So you don’t have to be perfect to do it right! Aim for 800 but be glad you are anywhere in general vicinity on those bad days! It’s a goal, not a grade!!

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Ps — move husband to BSD — much better for his health and brAin and you can cook just one meal!

• posted by Iwanttobeslim
    on

I find low carb chocolate bars and konjac noodles sometimes help, but I certainly feel your pain where bread is concerned!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I have no idea what low carb chocolate is but there is nothing wrong with eating chocolate on this plan as long as it is over 70% and you count the calories. I do know about diabetic style foods, i.e. chocolate, jam etc. and the general view is they are just money makers taking advantage of the fears of the uninformed (not because we are stupid but we are told rubbish by experts). As for something like jam either don’t eat it or have a little but not often.

• posted by Iwanttobeslim
    on

Don’t you think there might be something to be said for succumbing to a chocolate bar with 3g net carbs rather than a kitkat or twix?

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Isn’t this a version of the “lesser of two evils” debate that we usually see when discussing diet drinks. I went cold turkey on traditional sweet things or direct replacements as I feared the “well just one will be OK” argument then hurtling down a very slippery slope.

Like Sunshinegirl, I now do the odd square of Lindt or Waitrose 90% chocolate, but I now don’t see this as a temptation to wider things.

As ever, others’ experiences may vary.

• posted by topcac
    on

Personally I think that the odd ‘replacement’ bar is fine but absolutely not in the first few weeks. After 18 weeks on this plan I am fine with having the odd one (and I mean odd as I think I’ve had about 4 in the last 16 weeks) but in week one? Probably not – you need to wean yourself off the ‘need’ for sweet stuff because, let’s face it, it’s not a need, it’s a want and you can break that habit by not feeding it.

Molzify, you’re doing really well, have you weighed yourself yet – that can help with motivation, otherwise you might want to think about upping your fats for a couple of days until your carb monster succumbs to the relegation zone. Make sure you count the calories and make them as low carb as possible but that should help with the hunger. Nuts, lean meat, cheese, cream, things like that. Maybe beef jerky at a push (not highly advised because of the processing but if you’re desperate and on the run or in lectures a lot). Not sure how tight money is but hope that helps
    TC

• posted by Jande9
    on

This diet works best if you eat most of your calories as fat and protein. They stick with you and they don’t cause insulin spikes. These spikes trigger an intense desire for carbs which is very difficult to resist. You learn what to eat and when to eat it to best keep yourself feeling satisfied. It really is an exercise in “managing your hunger.”
    I have coffee in the morning, then 2 eggs at about 11am., about 150 cal.
    I can then usually hold off eating until 5pm when I prepare supper. I will often snack on broccoli or cauli stems, or chunks of cabbage while cooking. They are quite filling and help you wait until dinner is served. Supper will be 400 – 500 cals.
    Over the evening I will snack on 8 almonds plus 175 grams of 0% fat Greek yogurt mixed with 2 tablespoons of wheat bran. About 150 – 200 cals. That is very filling and I go to bed feeling full.
    Keep some cabbage with you to munch on. It is filling and actually surprisingly satisfying.

• posted by Angela06
    on

Hello everyone,

I just thought I’d add a recent personal experience here: a few days ago I woke up very early very hungry…normally I try to wait till 12.30pm for my first meal and this time I knew I wouldn’t manage. In that situation I usually end up stuffing my face with whatever I can get my hands on.
    So I had a small portion of porridge oats and was great, very happy till 11am when the cravings hit and lasted all day. And such bad temper with them!
    So next time I wake up ravenous I’ll have fish, sardines or mackerel. The Greek yoghurt wouldn’t have come close to satisfying me that day.

The moral of this is that any type of carb, not matter how friendly will always turn round and bite me!

• posted by molzify
    on

Hi all! Thanks for your very helpful responses 🙂

I just weighed myself and found I’d lost 1.8kgs so I’m very happy with that as previously on diets I lose less than 1lb a week!

Just wanted to ask a question, I’m experiencing the worst menstrual cramps I’ve had in a long time (as in since before going onto a contraceptive pill 2 years ago) and I was wondering if that’s anything to do with the diet? Regardless, most of my day is now going to be spent with a heatpack doing some assignments and taking it easy (Went for a walk this morning, did not help the cramps!)

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I’ve not experienced cramps, but could this be salt related? Because the diet allows so little processed food and so much water is drunk it can deplete electrolytes. Just a thought.

Please log in or register to post a reply.