Day 1 tomorrow …. but should have started 4 years ago? Advice please!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by MrsPink
    on

Hello fellow BSDers!
    A little about me ….. I was asked by my GP to go for a fasting blood test a couple of weeks ago, primarily to check my kidney function because the antidepressants I have been taking for the past few years can apparently have an effect on your kidneys, and they wanted to check all was ok on that score before giving me my usual repeat prescription.
    A few days later they called and said my blood sugar levels were “a little high” and I was therefore to go in for a repeat fasting blood test, and take a urine sample. I duly did so.
    Whilst there the nurse showed me the computer screen which showed my results. It was 10.4. on the previous week’s test. I noticed that back in 2012, the last time it was checked, it was 7.2. The time before that it was 5. All were fasting tests done in the early morning.
    I am currently waiting for the results of the repeat blood test that happened on Friday, although I have already been informed that the urine test showed no glucose present. Weird, huh?
    If the blood test is again higher than it should be they are going to give me the oral test involving the glucose drink.
    Over the past few days I have been doing a bit of reading online (as well as buying the BSD book!) and it seems to me that the GP ought to have carried out further tests in 2012, when the reading was 7.2? What do you guys think?
    I have been feeling pretty knackered and awful since then but put it down to depression hence going on medication for that. What if I have been diabetic all along? Is it too late to reverse it?
    Any thoughts gratefully received…

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Please don’t worry. I was diagnosed in 2009. When I started the BSD in December 2015 my fasting blood sugar was 10.9. It reduced rapidly after strictly reducing carbs and starting to lose weight. After the first 8 weeks my fasting blood was 5.3. All my blood tests since have been in the normal range.

You don’t say if you need to lose any weight. i would suggest keeping carbs low and losing any excess weight to get your blood sugars down in the normal range without medication. I was not on diabetes medication at any point – control has just been by reducing the carbs. Now I’m slowly increasing calories but still keeping carbs very low (and now honestly don’t miss them)

Hope this helps.

• posted by MrsPink
    on

Thanks Lynne, that does help – yes, I do need to lose a lot of weight actually!
    Your results are encouraging – hopefully mine will be similar.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

You are welcome. I’ve lost 7.5 stone (105 pounds) since I started the BSD.

Best wishes for your BSD journey. Any questions, just ask – someone will be able to help m

Please log in or register to post a reply.