Day 1 …. much harder than I thought!!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi

Started today after 5 days of just no bread, potatoes or rice. I have a lot to lose and so lost 3lbs in those 5 days.

Today was Day 1 and no problem really with food. Stayed within 800 cals but was up to nearly 75carbs! So ok not the end of the world BUT then the red wine reared it’s ugly head!!

Does anybody else find losing the wine hard? Any suggestions for alternatives.

• posted by Seadog
    on

Hi, are you able to list what you have eaten ?, watch the root veg, it’s high on carbs. As for wine, yep I know what you’re saying, I love nothing better than a glass (or two) in the evening, but…I really need to lose weight and get healthy, so I’m willing to curtail that for a few months. As for alternatives ?, not sure try sparkling water with some lemon/lime juice, poor substitute I know !

• posted by Indy
    on

Verano – YES on the red wine. The sentence in the book that says something about 5 glasses of wine a week is like 4 doughnuts really stuck with me.

I love wine with dinner and almost every social event I attend involves wine. I’ve only made it through this first week because my best friend is on vacation. When I told her I was planning on giving up all alcohol for 8 weeks I think she was considering ending our friendship!

But after a week with nothing – probably the longest I’ve gone since my last pregnancy (which was 10 years ago) – I find the cravings are mostly gone.

Hang in there – it gets better!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Seadog

Yes I use Fatsecret as my diet diary. I couldn’t get to grips with Myfitnesspal that most people seem to use. My problem isn’t starchy vegetables it’s fruit! Every morning I have berries, walnuts and yogurt, was low fat but now use full fat Total. I hadn’t realised how many carbs there are in strawberries etc. I used to have an apple as well but think that will be a treat from now on!

Yes not sure that fizzy water and lemon will do it but certainly worth a try!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Indy

Thanks for the reminder. I’d forgotten that sentence!!! Wouldn’t dream of eating 4 doughnuts!!!
    Think it will just come down to a little willpower really.

I’ll just keep thinking this isn’t wine it’s ‘doughnuts, doughnuts’ !

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

Hi Verano

Giving up wine is horrible – 9 days so far – but I will take that doughnut idea on board which may make it less difficult.
    Good luck to us all!

ruth

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Ruth

Well done! Guess it’s just one day at a time. Funny how we would never think of eating 4 doughnuts but red wine slips down so much more easily without too much thought! Maybe that’s the secret … think a bit more!

Verano

• posted by Timmy
    on

I find giving up the wine (and beer, and cognac, oooh and cider and gin and ….) the hardest too. I can be impeccable with my eating, but then every so often a bottle will disappear! Like last night for instance.

If you really do “need” to have the odd drink, then I believe the slimmest drink is vodka and slimline tonic. You should specifically buy grey goose vodka, because not only is it the nicest, but it has the least impurities of any other vodka.

Everything in moderation of course!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Timmy

Yes I’m sure that Grey Goose would do the trick!! We only have Smirnoff Blue here but I’m really a red wine girl anyway!!

Do you find a difference in your weight loss when you have the odd lapse? I guess as you say ‘everything in moderation’, seems like a good rule. Mind you at the moment I can’t get the picture of doughnuts in my wine glass out of my head!!

Verano

• posted by Timmy
    on

Strangely enough I find that after a glass (or 3) of wine I actually weigh much less in the morning! But this is only if I’ve abstained for a few days first.

If I were to drink every night then I would either be static or the weight would go up.

Please log in or register to post a reply.