Cycling, when on the BSD

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Rhinorob
    on

Hi,

I am a regular cyclist, but on day 3 of the diet, I have just been for a 35 mile ride (a normal ride over 3 hours at a gentle pace) but found I had no energy after about an hour or so and had to stop to eat. I understand cycling burns about 40 calories per mile at a gentle pace, so what should I add to the BSD to ensure that I can still ride over the 8 weeks whilst still completing the program?

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Rhinorob,
    I have to confess my maths is terrible but going on what you have said, a thirty five mile bike ride would burn 1400 calories which is 600 more than you are taking in. That sounds like quite a large deficit to me, perhaps more than is good for you on a regular basis?

How often do you do these long rides? What would be your calorie deficit over a week. I’m not an expert but my instinct tells me that maybe you would want to balance your intake out on the days you ride with a couple hundred extra.An intake of 800 cals a day is already pretty low but I would have concerns about a regular intake of minus 600.
    Maybe there are some fitness coach type people in the forums who might know more?

• posted by Rhinorob
    on

You are probably right. My cycling buddie has lectured me to stop this stupid diet before I do myself more damage! He is probably right too!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I’m sure there is room in your life for both – in fact I know there is. But perhaps with just a bit of tweaking!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Perhaps the 5:2 might suit you better? Concentrate on a generally med-style menu but with no calorie counting for five days and then choose two days when you’re not cycling as much to do the 800 cal fast. A lot depends on why you chose to do the bsd; was it for your blood sugar or weight loss or something else? How can you still meet your goals while still keeping the sport you love and your buddy?

• posted by Elvis Jones
    on

I would be in the same boat as you ( in fact i’ll be on the turbo later ). I’m back in triathlon training and need to balance my training with calorie in take. It will take a few weeks but lets face it, my belly is a decent fuel tank !

I’m lucky that when i eat little I actually feel like i have a decent level of energy.

Please log in or register to post a reply.