crazy ups and downs

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by bigeater
    on

I was recently crowing because I lost 1.3 kg overnight. The next day was up 1kg. The next day was down 600g. The next day was up 800g. Prior to that was up and down 300g. Now back to where I was about 8 days ago! It feels like it is never going to move. Not a plateau exactly as it is fluctuating. Very frustrating particularly as I still have a long way to go. Any thoughts?

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Yup. It’s completely normal and there’s not a damn thing you can do about it. 😀 If weight loss were linear and easily controlled, nobody would ever struggle. Fluctuations are just part of the process. They can be tough to cope with, I know, especially when you have a lot of weight to lose. Sometimes making a few changes seems to jumpstart things (intermittent fasting or shifting the hours thereof, increasing steps, doing a different kind of exercise). Other times it doesn’t have any apparent effect.

When it drags on for a while or the numbers jump up by pounds at a time, I have a little meltdown — hot, salty tears have been involved more than once — maybe mope around for a bit, then go about my business. This too shall pass.

• posted by bigeater
    on

hi esnecca, Thanks for your thoughts. I am glad I am not the only one whose weight can vary 1-2lbs or up to 1.3kgs overnight.
    I have decided to change things a little, cut out porridge, yoghurt and nuts. Have been overdoing the yoghurt and nuts at the expense of other vegetables.

Still, wearing jeans that were uncomfortably tight a month ago so things are moving. I am impatient!

Good luck on your journey.

Bigeater

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

Hi bigeater I have the same problem – my weight can fluctuate 4lbs either way and there is no rhyme or reason to it although I do find that certain foods contribute to this and now avoiding. I weigh every day so it can be disappointing but keep going it really does work (am also very impatient). Posted my 3 month H1c result yesterday. Gone from 54 (diabetic) to 40 Normal! and 35 lbs down. So keep this in mind as this morning my weight up again! But in long run works 🙂

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi Lucky Linda. Congratulations on your excellent results! Yes it works and that nurse has a donkey brain. I hope she is uncomfortable to say the least!

I was also told i was “normal” by my doctor but my morning readings remain elevated despite a normal hba1c. I have lost around 20kgs and I am happy with results so far. I could easily lose another 20kgs and will give it a go – see what happens then.

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi again
    Desperately trying to move my weight down. 2 days the same, then minus 400g then plus 1500g! It just seems impossible at the moment with these massive swings up and down but mainly up. Back to where I was about 2.5 weeks ago. I just want some consistent falls in weight.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Keep Measuring! The fat will still be going if you are sticking to your calories/carbs, eating enough fat/salt and drinking loads of water, so keep on keeping on with the basics and celebrate some non scale victories instead for as long as this stage lasts. It won’t be forever. You can try a few things to kick start it again if you like. Drop carbs/increase fat even further. Have a full blown ‘cheat’ day has even been mentioned as a good way to get things moving again as long as you get straight back on the wagon afterwards. Increase exercise if you can, and incorporate some (more?) intermittent fasting.

• posted by Patsy
    on

Most people’s weight varies by a couple of pounds from day to day, whether or not they’re dieting. That’s one reason we’re often advised to only weigh ourselves once a week – that will show the overall trend better. (Not that I follow that advice!)

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

I have recently posted on another thread about the same subject. However, no weight loss on the scales but a definite loss of fat from bum and shoulders particularly! I have lost 28lb/30lb and the scales are not moving at the moment but I am wearing size 12 clothes now from size 16/18 at Christmas. I still have a fair bit to go before I have a normal BMI. My BMI is 27 at the moment. I think I have often focused too much on what the scales have said rather than looking at other benefits of BSD and my mood has often been dependent on whether it is an up or a down on the scale. I have plateaued a fair few times doing BSD and to be honest I have lost my weight quite slowly. My scales are doing crazy up and downs at the moment and I know how frustrating it is! . From previous experience and plateaus I know they do eventually move down and sometimes for no apparent reason. Keep going and keep confident and they will move down……..eventually!

Please log in or register to post a reply.