Counting calories when exercising?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Sesame
    on

I’m on the 800 calories diet and try to exercise a couple of times a week. For example today I exercised for 330 calories. Do you compensate for these extra calories when you eat, i.e eat 1130 calories or do you still keep the 800 cal?

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Keep to 800 calories and call it a bonus.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Dr Mosley (in his TV prog Trust Me Im A Doctor) said that exercise is good for helping maintain weight and obviously good for heart, lung, psychological well being but is really inefficient at burning calories. For example, it is said you need to eat 3500 calories less to burn just one pound of fat, that is a lot of exercise, so much easier to not eat the calories. The low calories can make it difficult to exercise at a rate you might be used to but it only takes a couple of weeks to get used to mixing exercise and low cal. You don’t say if you are diabetic but if you are you would just have to be careful not to let your BG get too low but you will also learn what to eat in place of the old advice of eating loads of carbs or something very sweet to get your BG back up. Also, as a diabetic, I have learnt to do my exercise when I am not as likely to be getting hungry. After a couple of weeks you will be able get back into your usual exercise levels without compromising the diet plan.

• posted by Sesame
    on

Thank you for your answers! I’m not diabetic (yet anyway…) but am overweight with a lot of fat around the middle… so I will give it a go. I will try and keep my 800 calories a day regardles of excercising.

Please log in or register to post a reply.