Countdown to 20th November!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Caz123
    on

So technically I have already started – I started this on Monday – but wanted to get an idea of whether this was something I would / could stick with before leaping in there and creating a diary of my 8 weeks that never got written in again. So far so good – so here I am!

This is day 5 for me. I’ve decided that I’m going to weigh daily, and that means that I know that I have already lost 7lbs :). I’m not kidding myself – this isn’t my first diet, I know it’ll mostly be water, but it’s very motivating :).

I’m here because my blood pressure is high – far too high really. I’m hoping that doing this will bring it down – I don’t want to have to go back on the medication – I’ve been on it before, and it didn’t like me! But have to be realistic with myself and if this 8 weeks doesn’t work then I’ll have to go see the GP about it.

So far – day one and two were fine and I found it a lot easier to stick to 800 calories than I expected. Days three and four were more difficult – I had a persistent dull headache and felt exhausted by lunchtime, however so far today seems to be a turning point – the headache hasn’t shown up and I’m still able to function and it’s now 4pm ๐Ÿ™‚

Well that’s me and my week one so far in a very short nutshell. I hope anyone reading this is having a good week!

• posted by Flash21
    on

Hello Caz123!

I also (re)started this week! I think if you’ve already managed five days you can definintely stick to this plan. I am in roughly the same place as you: today is my day 4 and I have lost 7lbs. I am quite excited about this as I don’t find it very easy to lose weight at all. It gives me some kind of determination to carry on! I need to work on a lot of stuff like portion sizes and beating cravings but I feel like I’ve made a good start ๐Ÿ™‚

I think this plan will help you with your blood pressure as it should drop as the weight comes off. Not wanting to go back on medication is a good motivator for you! Glad to hear your headache has cleared up.

Looking forward to hearing more of your progress!

• posted by Caz123
    on

Hi flash ๐Ÿ™‚

Congratulations on the loss ๐Ÿ™‚ You say restarted – how did you get on the first time?

I’ve gone and sabotaged things already tonight – I was offered a drink. I convinced myself one glass of wine wouldn’t hurt. And one wouldn’t have!! However one lead to two, and then going along with a decision to eat out, and then a couple more glasses :S

I’m trying to console myself in that we went for Chinese food – and I managed to convince them to serve me a dish of meat and vegetables and very easy on the sauce (the waiter looked at me like I’d grown another head – but went with it). And I didn’t even eat half :). Didn’t even touch a prawn cracker!!

This (whilst being totally off plan) would not have happened a couple of weeks ago. But it’s made me realise that I can stick to this easily when I’m planning ahead and preparing meals – but I need to work out how to make it work when I go out – because eating out and the odd drinking night or two are regular parts of my life – and I need to be more ready to handle next time!

• posted by Caz123
    on

Woke up this morning and decided that falling off the wagon was not going to derail me total – and that last night should just be viewed as a minor detour. The plan being to go for a long walk today to help deal with the damage.

Just weighed myself – and another 2lbs have come off!!! Not sure how that worked, but I’ll definitely take it ๐Ÿ˜€

Food for today is already planned out. I’ve still got this!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Oh, good news Caz123!

I remember my first couple of glasses of wine at a dinner with friends whilst on BSD. It was meant to be only one – lost control of that – fairly good BSD dinner but then got munchies on way home and bought Pret a Manger veg wrap for the train and THEN had 2 slices of toast when I got in. As some lovely person here pointed out that was a really good lesson.

So – subsequently – when unable to avoid a drinking occasion I drink as much fizzy water as wine (sip for sip works for me) and therefore always have full glass available. Less likely to lose control (more time in loo also now I think of it) and the fizzy water fills you when you’re dragged to the meal so even if not very BSD possible you can eat less of it.

If you know you’re eating out, look at the menu online to plan. Have two starters, or a starter and side salad. Both of these seem not to raise an eyebrow now.

But you have escaped well do really it was all worthwhile for the lessons learned. It’s not the calories for the alcohol – it’s the potential loss of control.

And now you know.! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Well done and onwards and downwards! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Flash21
    on

Don’t worry Caz, these things will happen – and sometimes you might even want them to happen! It’s really all about how you deal with it during and after and it sounds like you have a good handle on things PLUS a drop of 2lbs. Not bad! I’ve also had alcohol this weekend. Not a great deal but probably a glass or two more than I should have. But I am not worrying about it because I have kept really strictly to the diet otherwise. If I lose slower, I lose slower. I am not in a race! For me I think I also need a healthy mental attitude so don’t want to start obsessing over every sip or mouthful. Still, it won’t be an every day occurrence!

• posted by Caz123
    on

I think you are right Flash – I’m not in a race – if it takes a bit longer that’s ok, so long as I get there in the end.

All in all it’s been a good result this week. This morning was my one week weigh in – and I’ve lost 10lbs, even with my deviations!!

Not only that but I’ve learned that 800 cals a day is easily manageable if you make good food choices, that alcohol will likely lead to bad decisions about food, and that a hangover without the help of carbs to help pick me back up is so not fun!!! That’s not to say I won’t have a drink again at some point – but at least when I do it’ll be a decision made with the full facts!

Bring on week 2!

• posted by Flash21
    on

Hey Caz,

10lbs is AMAZING! Well done to you! I hope you did a happy dance once you got off the scales ๐Ÿ™‚ I will report official results tomorrow morning. 800 cals is definitely manageable – sometimes you’ll go over and sometimes you’ll be under but it doesn’t matter. As long as we’re aiming for that 800 goal each day, we’ll average out over the course of each week. And yes, a hangover without carbs is a horrible, horrible thing!

Let’s smash week 2!

• posted by Caz123
    on

Thank you Flash – fingers crossed for your weigh in tomorrow ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Flash21
    on

Morning Caz,

I think your crossed fingers worked for me as official end of week one weigh in says 10lbs down! Yay!

• posted by Caz123
    on

That’s fantastic Flash ๐Ÿ™‚ it’s your turn to do a happy dance!!!

• posted by Flash21
    on

Thank you!! Have definitely been happy dancing this morning! But the question is, will I be a) able to keep it up for week 2 and b) see similar weight loss? I’m pretty sure it won’t be another 10lbs (although who knows?) but I’ve read about people plateauing quite early in the 8 weeks and I’m worried about this happening to me.

• posted by Caz123
    on

You must have a crystal ball Flash week 2 is not going so well for me. I’ve somehow gained 2 lbs in the last couple of days. I’m hoping it’s just a temporary glitch – and it’ll disappear again as quickly as it appeared. I know what I’ve eaten wouldn’t have caused it – so I’m sure it’ll all sort itself out. I suppose 10lbs in a week was a big shock to the system – at my body is just adapting to what is happening now!

I’m trying (and I mean I’m really trying) not to focus on the scale number too much at the moment. I have to tighten my fitbit strap a notch this morning as it was annoying me flopping loosely around my arm on the setting I’ve always worn it – and the top I wore last night definitely looked baggy on me – when it didn’t before.

I definitely want (and need) to see the scales move – but until they do, as long as I can see progress then I’m hanging in there!

• posted by Flash21
    on

Hey Caz,

From what I’ve read, I think it’s quite normal to see a little gain/drop/gain pattern as you progress through the 8 weeks. Try not to worry about the gain as hopefully by the end of the week it’ll have disappeared – along with another couple of lbs. Someone else posted that our bodies do tend to readjust after a big weight loss. If it makes you feel any better, I ate waaayyy less than I would normally do yesterday and was v v low in carbs, which I thought would mean another loss when I got on the scales this morning but there was no change at all. Like you, I think I am going to try to restrict myself to only a weekly weigh-in as otherwise I’ll be too fixed on the numbers and then get stressed, which is not helpful.

Tightening straps and finding your clothes are baggy are definite measures of success though! I think it is Igorasusual who mentions that whilst you may not see a downward movement on the scale, your visceral fat is still melting away so measuring yourself, either with tape measure or a test garment or two, might be a much better indicator of the way your body is changing.

Don’t forget, we’re all hanging in there with you! ๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.