cough medicine alert

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by jillyB
    on

Just a warning to you all if you are experiencing colds and bronchitis at the start of winter in the southern hemisphere.
    I have a miserable bout of bronchitis and decided to get a new bottle of my usual cough medicine. Came home, immediately took my first dose. It wasn’t far off mealtime so when it was time I took my BS reading……and what a shock I received. My BS read 12 !!! I haven’t been taking my insulin since the first day of the BSD because I was so close to being normal. Now, this medicine says sugar-free….my own GP looked up her great tome of medicines to make sure I was not getting any sugar. I had not noticed this before because my readings were quite often all over the place. So I decided to examine the box and found it has maltitol and sorbitol. You guessed it……alchohol sugar !!
    My GP will be devastated. I have taken it for the last few winters when required. I googled alchohol sugar just in case
    this had a different effect, the powers-who-be suggested that it was not as bad as ordinary sugars but still bad for insulin dependent diabetics. Could perhaps be because of the quick way we are losing weight and our bodies haven’t quite accepted it yet.
    Anyway, thought I would pass this on to you all, better be safe than sorry…as the saying goes !

jillyB

Please log in or register to post a reply.