coucous?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by feverdiva
    on

Hola, does anyone know if couscous can be eaten on this diet? I looked it up and it seems to be low GL, just wanted to check O:-)

• posted by tamznlaws
    on

I doubt it it’s a carb. Quinoa is, which is like a couscous consistency, high in calories but it’s a protein if eaten in moderation.

• posted by feverdiva
    on

Damnit! thought it was toogood to be true :-\

• posted by theblackspot
    on

Mainly couscous is a type of white flour pasta, so I’m sticking clear of it personally.
    Bulgar wheat is similarly easy to make and convenient, but totally whole grain and low gi/gl.
    I’ve been at it only one week, but felt good on the food, by virtually ignoring cars all together and eating vegie with nice fats and protein in limited amounts.
    Good luck to you whatever you decide.

• posted by theblackspot
    on

Carbs not cars…

• posted by feverdiva
    on

Thanks blackspot,ihave someof that inthe cupboard,i’ll give it a whirl x

• posted by theblackspot
    on

With loads of parsley, lemon zest and juice, a bit of chili and a glug of olive oil and it’s good. S&p too.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Couscous is made from wheat flour and is therefore a carb. I don’t think there are any recipes in the book using couscous so I have taken that to mean it is not encouraged. However, the book doesn’t ban anything as such, it just encourages low consumption of carbs and sugar. If you can manage without it, great but if you really do want to eat it, count the calories and perhaps bear the carb count in mind and don’t have it too often.

• posted by woofmum
    on

now i am confused….can anyone help please…..low carb med diet says wholegrains are allowed….but couscous and quinoa are wholegrains but NOT allowed????

• posted by gooismeid
    on

Couscous is coarsely ground wheat (also called semolina) – and you can get ordinary couscous (like white bread or white flour) or wholemeal couscous, which is not quite as readily available. However both versions couldn’t be classed as particularly good if you’re trying to avoid carb. White couscous has about 23g of carbohydrates per 100g and not much fibre. I experimented with cauliflower “rice” a few days ago and that’s certainly a good substitute for couscous – especially with strong-tasting things like smoked haddock or veg curries.

• posted by woofmum
    on

Thanks gooismeidm
    I actually only get wholemeal couscous, but will avoid from now on 🙁 thanks for tip on cauli……….getting books today so hopefully all will become clearer!!

• posted by CAS
    on

Use Cauliflower instead. Google how to use Cauliflower as rice or couscous. It’s as simple as.

Please log in or register to post a reply.