Constipation, how to increase fibre?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by peachcake4me
    on

I’ve been on the 800 calorie plan since mid December and although my weight loss has been fantastic I’m really struggling with keeping myself regular!

I’m only going to the toilet every 5-6 days and often feeling bloated and uncomfortable.

I eat loads of salad and vegetables and lean protein and healthy fats but I’m still suffering with constipation.

A pharmacist recommended that I take more fibre. Do any of you have any advice/suggestions on the subject please? I can only really think of bread and cereal but I’m trying to keep my diet really low carb ie. under 50g per day which leaves no room for these foods. Not sure what to do about this and wondering if anyone has some useful tips?

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hi Peachcake.
    I stir spoonful of a product called Benefibre into my morning coffee. It has no carbs and lots of fibre – and dissolves completely and is tasteless. I’m in Australia – but I am sure there are similar products where you are – perhaps Metamucil?
    Also more probiotics may help to get your gut working well – yogurt, kombucha, pickles etc. Kombucha and some fermented/pickled products are made with some sugar, but the sugar gets altered during the pickling process so small amounts won’t throw you out of keto, and these types of foods are great for getting your gut working.
    Science of Pickling”As lactic acid bacteria grow in your pickles, they digest sugars in the vegetables and produce lactic acid. Not only does this acid give the pickles their characteristic sour tang, it controls the spread of spoilage microbes. Also, by gobbling up the sugars, lactic acid bacteria remove a potential food source for bad bacteria.”
    Good luck!!

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Me again Peachcake – I suffered badly from constipation for a couple of years – and looking back I can say it was probably due just as much to stress at work than it was to my diet (which was very healthy at the time).
    So a change to a less stressful environment helped me. As well as adding in pickles, fermented foods etc. This article explains a bit: https://medium.com/thrive-global/the-link-between-gut-health-and-stress-682aafa355c7

And a gentle laxative is Normacol – a teaspoon before bed a couple of days in a row perhaps?

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Seeds are an easy solution. Flax and chia in particular have the highest amount of fiber you can get gram for gram. How much water do you drink per day?

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Peachcake4me: Rich dietary sources of fibre include seeds, nuts, beans, lentils and wholegrains. To a much lesser extent vegetables and certain fruits are a source of fibre.. Obviously you will be limiting intake some of these groups tho!

In The Fast 800 Diet book Dr Mosley addresses constipation on page 144. You might find it helpful to read his earlier book The Clever Guts Diet alongside.

Lastly are you physically active as recommended in section 5? As we stand, walk, balance and so on, our core muscles encourage movement of waste through the colon, and out of the body.

HTH!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Ground flax seeds and inulin have been very important for me – but neither work unless I drink enough water. It’s actually quite a lot of water – coffee and tea just don’t seem to work as well.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Psyllium husk is another possibility to increase your fibre intake. Whatever you try, do make sure you have plenty of water.

• posted by Skipping through the tulips
    on

Another vote for flax seeds. I also make ginger tea and drink loads of that. You need to like the pepperiness though.

• posted by Squidge
    on

How do you make ginger tea, Skipping? I like the sound of that.

• posted by Skipping through the tulips
    on

Squidge.
    I grate the fresh ginger root , skin and all. it’s not an exact science but about two heaped tablespoons to a pint or so of water. heat gently in a pan for 10 mins. sieve and squeeze out the remaining juice from the ginger( this seems to be the lost potent bit). i store the liquid in the fridge in an old water bottle. Then i either dilute with cold or hot water. It’s nice with fizzy water too, add a slice of lime or sprig of mint. Supposedly ginger has numerous health benefits but then so does anything else you google. I drink it because i like it and it does seem to speed up a sluggish gut. It also makes you kitchen smell nice when you’re cooking it

• posted by alliecat
    on

Sk1pp1ng, THAN YOU so much for post1ng th1s rec1pe aga1n! Weather has gone “full summer” here 1n New England,
    and 1 was just try1ng to remember th1s techn1que when we h1t 30.5C the other day. 1t sounds marvelous, as 1’m
    somewhat of a g1nger junk1e. 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.