Coconut, almond and buckwheat flour

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Rhi1990
    on

Hi,

I found a madeleine Shaw cauliflower pizza base recipe which is made from cauliflower, egg white and a few spoons of an alternative flour. I just tried it and it was delicious but just want to check these alternative flours are ok in small doses?

I used to use a protein pancake recipe which was protein powder, oats, banana and egg white but obviously can’t do that anymore. I found an almond flour recipe and coconut flour recipe I wanted to try but again I’m not sure if this is ok.

Does anyone know?

Thanks

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Almond flour and coconut flour are both okay for low carb ‘alternative’ flours. I also use chickpea flour sometimes, but honestly I don’t tend to use such alternatives very often. Chickpea flour makes decent ‘flatbreads’ if you want something to go with a curry, there are several recipes in the recipe section that use them.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Rhi1990
    They will still spike your blood sugar, so if you have problems with insulin resistance or are T2D, then I would probably reconsider, but if not, so long as you are incorporating the carbs and calories into your daily allowance, then every now and again should be ok.
    If you find that you are not losing weight, then you’ll know what the problem is.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Rhi1990
    on

HI Both,

Thanks for your advice! I’m not diabetic or pre-diabetic. I am just trying to lose weight and have PCOS so have a higher likelihood of getting diabetes later in life if I’m not careful. I’m only 26 at the moment so want to get my weight and carb addiction under control now to head of potential issues in the future.

I stood on the scales this morn and had still lost so I think once in a while it will be ok!

Appreciate the help!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

My personal preference is almond flour, as this is the lowest in carbs, but as Mixnmatch says, I tend not to look for alternatives to mimic the old options. I prefer to think outside the box and use completely different substitutes.

Well done on taking control and taking action now, before you have medical issues Rhi1990. Let us know what your results are – we all like the opportunity to celebrate.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Buckwheat flour has potential metabolism supporting properties because of the Sirtuin activators, so I occasionally forgive it for being so high in carbs and have my lovely chia and buckwheat porridge for breakfasts now I am basically on maintenance calories. It seems to be working as I am still losing weight even though I am increasing the carbs quite a lot, over 100g some days.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I found out today that buckwheat is technically a fruit not a grain 😮

• posted by Kags
    on

I have been using ground flaxseed and ground sunflower seeds (an alternative to expensive almond flour). Don’t like the taste of coconut flour.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Today I made a chocolate cake, using pureed beans instead of flour. It made very dense almost torte-like cake, but it’s very tasty and it’s got me wondering, where else it might be possible to use a bean puree as a flour substitute – I’m thinking maybe pancakes as these are batter based too. Certainly going to give it some thought and maybe try out a few things.

• posted by kizzi
    on

HI,
    I’m new here and maybe won’t get a reply as it is an old post, but I was wondering what kind of beans you used instead of flour?
    thanks
    Kizzi

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Kizzi – welcome! I’ve used berlotti beans and butterbeans in the past, but I think any would work. My advice would be to read the cans and choose the one that has the lowest carb content.

Hope you will be joining other threads on the forum, as there is masses of experience, knowledge and support available ‘ here. The weekly ‘One Week at a Time …’ thread is a great one to become part of and you’d be guaranteed a warm welcome – do join any thread that feels it has relevance to you though.

Best wishes …

Please log in or register to post a reply.