Cholesterol success

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi there friends, old and new. Not been here for a while except popping in to read and keep up to date with you all.

Yesterday I had my 3 monthly blood tests and I am pleased to report that my cholesterol is now 4.0. Last test it was 4.2 so what is so great about a .2 reductions. Well, I have stopped taking statins. 3 years ago I was on 40mg of Simvastatin but after a bout of cramps doctor stopped the meds. Immediately my cholesterol went up to 7.3 so he put me back on at a lower dose (20mg) and the results went down to 6.2 – doctor still not happy. Then I discovered this diet and my cholesterol has sat around 4.2. After a further bout of cramps in May this year doctor told me to stop the statins for 1 month, then start again to see if the cramps came back – they did within less than a week. So I just stopped taking them. I was very worried about my blood test results and then absolutely amazed that I have reduced the numbers further even without the meds. I see my doctor tomorrow and we will discuss. Also had my HbA1c and that came back exactly the same as last time at 5.9.

One downside is that my weight is up a couple of kilos and that is because I have been eating lots of cholesterol reducing foods, in particular, nuts, avocados and seeds, all of which are high in calories. It is such a balancing act between being slightly overweight and having good health via other means that I have let the calories slip although I still dont eat white carbs, maybe more beans, pulses, nuts and seeds than before.

I am going off on holiday again next week and will rethink how I can keep the cholesterol and blood sugar like it is but reduce the calories once again to see some weight loss. Keep on keeping on … everyone.

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi sunshine-girl. Just wanted to say congratulations on such good results without the “benefit” of statins! Hope you are having/had a good holiday!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Well done, s-g. You must be thrilled to have taken over control of your health, without meds, so successfully. An inspiration. Congratulations – and have a great holiday.

• posted by Verano
    on

They are really great results s-g. It’s amazing how cutting down on simple carbs, junk food and processed foods can have such a good effect on our health in general.
    I’m sitting in an airport waiting to go home. Dreading the scales tomorrow as I’ve, to all intents and purposes, been on ‘holiday’ all of this year so it really is time for me to get back on track again. Just not sure what my plan is going to be! Have a great holiday and hope to ‘see’ you around.

Please log in or register to post a reply.