chicory in Cafe du Monde coffee? also, natto

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by MarianneA
    on

Hi all,
    Since Dr. M. suggests chicory as a prebiotic, chicory + coffee came to mind. Has anyone looked into whether any real quantity of chicory is in home-brewed Cafe du Monde chicory coffee?
    Sweetened with inulin! But, before I add the inulin.
    Also, I think the Japanese staple of natto, a fermented soybean, has lots of probiotics. But I’ve barely read anything about this and I don’t see anything about natto on this blog. I first started (forcing) myself to get used to natto, which I found in Asian markets, because it has the highest amount of Vitamin K2 (menaquinone, I think) which is really good for bones. But if high in probiotics, then it’s even better. Dr. M, are you familiar with natto?

Marianne A.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, Marianne! If you are searching for foods high in prebiotics, fresh asparagus is also a good source, and is coming
    into season here in the States. Raw, unpasteurized, naturally fermented kimchi or sauerkraut has much to recommend
    it in terms of probiotics, also. I eat @ 1/4 c per day, and I find that easier than natto!

Allie

• posted by MarianneA
    on

Thanks Allie. I have some jarred kimchi sitting in my fridge and I haven’t tried it yet. I hope jarring it didn’t destroy the probiotics.
    I started making my own kefir and sauerkraut, which I’m still getting used to. I have miso soup almost every day and I understand the miso paste –hopefully this also has live bacteria in it.
    I don’t get enough prebiotic foods for sure, so thanks for the tip about asparagus. A teaspoon of potato starch before I go to bed every night gets me some. I bought some Jerusalem artichokes and I don’t have a clue what to do with them! Add them to soup??

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Yes you can soup Jerusalem artichoke and they are also good roasted.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Marriane you treat Jerusalem artichokes like small potatoes, peel, boil and blend for soup. Warning, they make you fart.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I never peel Jerusalem artichoke, I just scrub them well and then cook. Charcoal capsules are great for helping to combat unwanted wind.

Please log in or register to post a reply.