Cheesy scones!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Newt2
    on

Has anyone made the Cheesy scones? Not sure if the recipe is correct on kindle version…..75g coconut flower, 6tbsp butter and 6 eggs? No “shaped” patties for me to bake, it was more like an omelette! Has anyone else had this issue and found a solution? Thank you!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I haven’t made them but six eggs sounds like way too many! Possibly three might be enough so could you add the same amount of the other ingredients again to get a better consistency?

• posted by misssay
    on

I haven’t tried them yet, but I know coconut flour soaks up a lot of moisture. I can’t remember if the recipe says to leave the mix to stand for a while? If it doesn’t, it might be worth a try?

• posted by Angie50
    on

I made the cheesy scones and used 6 small eggs I put a small dollops on grease proof paper like you would with scones but they don’t look like scones when you do this the cheese seemed to hold it together they came out ok but very eggy taste I like a cheese taste so going to make them again soon with less eggs and play around with the recipe, hope this helps.

• posted by Newt2
    on

Hi Angie50 would be interested to know how your scones work out next time! I will try again too using 3 eggs……

• posted by Angie50
    on

Hi Newt2 I will be making them tomorrow I will let you know what happens and how the recipe went.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

The reason for the high amount of eggs is that coconut flour absorbs loads of moisture and has no raising agents.
    The eggs help the products to rise as well as stopping them being crumble

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Maybe if the recipe really does need to be that runny, you could put them into muffin cases.

• posted by pinkle
    on

I made them to exact measurements and were way too runny. And they don’t taste good, not worth the calories in my opinion. Loving the sardine dip though!

• posted by FoFi
    on

HI, I made these last night and I think they are really great.

I used large eggs, I have never heard of a table spoon of butter, before, next time I will use 75g. I didn’t have baking soda so I used 2 teaspoons of baking powder. I did let the mixture stand for a few minutes, and I needed to cook them for just over 20 minutes. They did spread out a little in the oven.

I will make again.

• posted by Mosleyfan
    on

me too..loved them straight out of oven..froze rest individually bagged so can grab one for work, emergency etc. see my photo already uploaded

• posted by Scotgran
    on

I thought they were disgusting, a complete waste of 6 eggs.

• posted by Newt2
    on

Mosleyfan your scones looked great, but must say that mine were very runny, flat and very “eggy” to taste. What was your secret to success!

• posted by Gail c
    on

I cooked These and they were so runny I had to add more coconut flour, but I really did not enjoy them at all. What a disappointment, I put them out to the wild life one night, at least they never we the to waste.
    Gail

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi – seems the secret is to leave the mixture to stand awhile, to allow the coconut flour to absorb some of the moisture. But my bug about the recipe was the measurement for the butter being in table spoons, which is not the normal way of measuring butter, surely it should be in grams – or even ounces if necessary. I did manage to get a usable dough and quite enjoyed the result, but I wasn’t convinced they were just 180 cals each, given the iffy butter measurement. Would make them again though.

• posted by FatCat
    on

I made them but asked google how much a tablespoon of butter weighed. I think it was 14g – which made about 75g for the whole recipe, and they came out fine. I’ve had to hide the spare in the freezer as they were so moreish!

• posted by SOS
    on

They sound delish. Will try them this week.

I find there is conflicting information regarding calorific values on the internet so I am sticking with MFP for now. There is a good website called Fat Secret which also gives the Cal,Carb,Fat,Protein breakdowns but no way of tracking.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi SOS

Fatsecret does have a facility to record and track progress, but you have to become a member to use that facility. It is free of charge, but it’s one more site sending emails etc. As you say, there is variation of info from site to site and this one is no exception. Think it is best to find a calorie/carb calculator you feel comfortable using and stick to it as you have. At least that way, the values are consistent.

• posted by Hawks
    on

The eggs in this recipe make me wonder whether the texture will be at all like the traditional scones that I know. The binder will surely give them more bounce/spring than the delicate scones I am used to?
    The scones I grew up with had no egg, no sugar and minimal stirring to develop gluten. They are fragile inside with a very light texture from a high amount of baking powder, and are very melt -in-the-mouth. All the sugar and butter came from the toppings of jam, clotted cream, whipped cream or butter.
    Is this based on the US style of scone which I understand may be quite different?
    If I want to do a traditional scone, can I use something other than egg? What would coconut flour behave like in a dough with no egg, say using milk or cream instead? I have no experience with coconut flour.

• posted by FatCat
    on

The texture is a bit more cake-like than scone-like, but very nice. How to find out what happens without egg? – try it! My only experience with coconut flour is one batch of these scones, but I’m going to try to make some coconut biscuits, which I’ll put some desiccated coconut in along with the flour, butter, and possibly egg or milk.

• posted by Hawks
    on

Thanks, FatCat.
    I will give them a try later this week. I used to do a lot of baking, but as part of this diet that has gone out the window and I am limiting my baking to once a week.

• posted by Hawks
    on

Well, that experiment, with no eggs, and milk added wasn’t a success! Edible, and not awful, but not anything like a scone. Not like anything really ha ha!
    I’ll try another version next week.

• posted by weescotty
    on

regret not spotting this thread earlier. My attempt was a disaster too. Flat pancakes which stuck to the parchment paper and didn’t taste very good. Looking at other posts I will try to forgo baking for the 8 weeks as so far just created lots of washing up and me looking for a biscuit or cake!! ( I haven’t got any ) Lesson learned.

Please log in or register to post a reply.