Cauliflower pizza base?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi hope everyone is well. I would love to make a pizza and am looking for a tried and tested recipe for a cauliflower base. There are so many recipes and I don’t know which to choose. Anybody have a successful one they can share please?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hellooooooooo V, where have you been, how are you. Just about to make dinner but I have a pretty good recipe for pizza base. You will just have to wait a bit.

on

Okay, this is how I make my pizza base. The secret is to double cook the base. Grate 5 or 6 medium florets onto a tea towel in a bowl or put through a whizzer and place on a tea towel in a bowl. Leave for around 20 mins then squeeze out any water through the tea towel. Put cauli back in bowl and add flavourings ie garlic powder, salt, pepper, paprika, whatever you want. Add just one egg. I find 2 turns it into an omelette type texture. Mix well. Place of baking parchment into a flattened shape, making it quite thin. Cook in oven around 180 for 15 mins or until firming. Turn over onto another sheet of parchment and cook again for 15 mins. It is now ready for adding toppings and going back into oven for a around 15 mins. It should be going nice and crispy brown on the edges. It still wont hold like pastry but will be firm enough to pick up on a fork without falling apart. Only thing I find with this is it takes such a long time so I dont do it too often. Hope it works for you.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi s-g good to ‘see’ you😀😀
    I’m fine thanks but just stepping back for the moment. Coming up to our 5th anniversary here I find I have very little to say these days. I did have a quick look at the weekly thread and can see how well you’re doing …. great …. just keep on keeping on……
    Thanks for the recipe I will give it a go. There are so many variations ….use fresh cauliflower, no use frozen, cook cauliflower, don’t cook, add ground almonds, add two eggs etc.etc.etc. Good to have a tested recipe. Do you let the base cool after the second bake before you add the topping?
    Anyway, hope all is well with you and yours and you manage to get back to the UK this year!! This will soon pass.

on

Back again. Been busy – two lots of shopping yesterday and still potting out plants and doing an oil painting. Yes I would let it cool before you put on the wet toppings especially if you are using tomato puree. You have given me inspiration for that quarter of a cauli in my fridge for tomorrows lunch.

Yes, we are both celebrating our 5 year anniversary of BSDers in June. I did stop posting for a while and then found it was something to do in lockdown. Seem to be a bit addicted so would do me good to take a break away. Hope your still T2 free and keeping well. You are obviously still watching the diet, hence the cauli pizza. Take care my friend. Nice to see you around.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi good that you’re busy I think the main problem we’ve had over the last 12 months is not enough to do!

Thanks for the cooling tip. Think I might try using a pizza stone ….. only because I have one ! Maybe we will both be enjoying pizza this weekend … I’ve just had some wonderful buffalo mozzarella delivered… but maybe it’s too good for pizza!

Five years! Can you believe it? Your insulin dose is dropping down brilliantly. My HbA1c has been ‘normal’ for over four years! Funny but my taste buds have changed totally. Last week I thought I would make some sweet potato chips…. I’ve not had a potato since 2016 …. well, they looked great but I tasted one and it was just like a teaspoon of sugar!! Just couldn’t believe how sweet it tasted.

I’m sure once your taste buds alter you just don’t like ‘carby’ foods anymore and I think it’s at that point you’ve really cracked it! This really is a change of lifestyle and not a ‘diet’ to start and finish!

Let’s keep in touch. Take care. Keep well ….. we’ll just have to keep on keeping on……

on

Had the cauli base pizza for lunch. It was still not firm enough to pick up but hubby was rushing me and I didnt leave it in the oven for long enough. I was pobbed after it so will have to have a calculation of the calories.

Please log in or register to post a reply.