Carb top up before bed

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Libby
    on

I have to have a carb top up before I go to bed each night. How do people handle this? Last night I had 4 small crackers because my bloods were getting a little lower than normal from day 1 of the program (I don’t call it a diet!) and I wanted to make sure I got through the night ok.
    Will I eventually grow out of the carb top up the further I get down the track – ostensibly so because my blood sugars will be stabilising?
    Any help would be appreciated.

• posted by Matrika
    on

Hi Libby, I can’t really help with relevant information cause I have never had to use top ups to keep my blood sugar up…I am type II diabetic (10 yrs) but am not taking any meds…and I am constantly battling to keep my blood sugar down! I saw on your profile you are using insulin.

I do keep glucose tabs handy in case of big BGL drops but have only taken them a few times in the past 10 years.

As I was reading your post I wondered have you ever tried a protein supper instead of the carbs?

And would it be possible to talk to your doctor about dropping the insulin levels to allow you to not have the carbs at night? I have a good friend diagnosed about the same time as me and she recently transitioned off her insulin onto another drug that makes it easier to reduce the carbs. It took a lot of work and committment from her GP and weekly blood tests but she’s done it and she is relieved of the constant hunger she used to feel when on the insulin.

I was glad you had a profile cause it makes it much easier to respond. Good luck! 🙂

• posted by Libby
    on

Hi Matrika
    Thanks for your answer. The carb top up is to ensure that the dawn lows don’t happen whilst you’re asleep. Has happened a couple of times 🙁
    Last night I was awake very couple of hours making sure I wasn’t having lows – quite draining!
    Yes already I have started to drop my insulin because of the no carbs and my resultant blood checks are starting to halve at least. The GP has given me some guidelines how to gauge the insulin required each day so I can follow those.
    Also I was checking out the recipes and saw some for low GI crackers so I might give them a try on the weekend.
    Onwards and upwards!
    cheers

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Libby
    a few of us have had dawn effect problems.
    For me and some others, a fatty late night snack does the trick. I use full fat yoghurt with berries, some have a piece of cheese or a handful of nuts.
    Try it, better for you than the carbs as the fat stops the hunger and will keep you feeling fuller for longer than the carbs will.
    Don’t worry too much about those fasting readings, it’s a natural phenomona and they will come down.

Please log in or register to post a reply.