Cannot do the strength exercises is swimming okay

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Lowenna
    on

I bought the Fast Exercise book and I have the app.

I started doing the ladder strength exercises routine as outlined in the book back in 2013 but ended up in Bristol Spinal Unit. Will spare the details but it contains quite a lot of exercises my consultants had their heads in their hands at. Apparently it resulted in them seeing a massive rise in injuries.

Since then I have not been allowed to do the type of exercises in the book. Would swimming count as a strength exercise because of the resistance? I do do the bike fast exercise as the cardio one

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

Lowenna I think swimming is considered an excellent exercise for everybody. I am intrigued – must go and find those dangerous exercises.

What about hand weights? Are they out also?
    Ruth

• posted by TrueParents
    on

Why not try T-Tapp ? you can try it for free at YOUTUBE and or go to T-Tapp.com or check it out on FB. It is low impact high results and FUN! there is an entire support group on FB with lots of info and folks just like us trying to get ourselves healthy for good https://www.facebook.com/TTappWorkout/?pnref=story
    This has worked for me, good luck and God Bless your hard work!

• posted by Paul C (BSD Admin)
    on

Hi Lowenna

You are correct in that some strength exercise, if not done with the right technique, can cause issues. I am a PT in a gym and I spend quite a bit of my time correcting technique. If you don’t have underlying issues or weaknesses, most exercise are adaptable to anyone’s ability level and are quite safe.

Re your question about swimming – go for it! Swimming is a great form of full-body exercise . It’s not quite strength training but the water adds resistance so you will still build strength. It’s also great for improving stamina, aerobic performance and boosting your metabolism.

Enjoy the pool!

• posted by Lowenna
    on

Hi thanks for that.

The exercises the consultants and the physios are tearing their hair out with are stomach crunches, the triceps exercise with the chair and squats, the latter being the biggie.

Apparently they’ve seen a steep increase in injuries related to people being encouraged to do squats, and the physio said it is particularly bad amongst women where it can do external and internal damage. Apparently her rates of clinic admissions have tripled in line with women taking up strength exercises, boot camps and circuits.

The consultant said even done correctly they put too much strain on the pelvis

Please log in or register to post a reply.