Can to Dry to Cooked Conversion for pulses and beans

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by MaggieJay
    on

HI I have just joined the forum. I started the fast 800 last April and once I got into it, it was great. I gave myself more incentive by photographing the clothes I really wanted to wear (again) with comfort and posted it on my fridge) and I loved the recipes. My only grie is many of them are made for 2 or 4 people and since Ilive on my own, I had to cook stuff I could freeze or eat the same thing twice in one week which can be a bit tedious. But I felt great on it.
    However winter being the grind it was and when comfort food is a necessity, I will start again this coming April and having listened to an interesting programme on BBCRadio 4 ‘The Food Programme’ (do check it out ) – about beans and pulses I am looking up recipes. The big issue is – canned beans are tasteless and not so nutritious and so many recipes use them. If like me you have time to soak and cook the dried ones – weight conversion can be tricky. There is a website earthtoveg.com which has a really useful conversion table which should help with this. Someone else has done all the hard work.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Welcome MaggieJay, glad to are getting the hang of this way of eating. Thanks for the link for conversion, yes it can be tricky and cause lots of errors. I always buy canned except for red lentils which dont need soaking. However, I am sooooooo struggling to make mushy peas with dry peas. They take forever, taste of nothing and leave the pan in a right mess. If you have any tips. 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.