Can I drink milk and if so what kind of milk

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Sward
    on

Just about to start the eating plan but can find no reference to milk in the book.
    Can you have milk, if so what kind and how much per day?
    Cana y oft help please.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

There is milk in the recipes in the book so it must be ok. The diet does advocate full fat as opposed to low fat.
    I drink full fat milk because I prefer the taste and I am mindful of making sure I get the fat soluble vitamins that surely must be missing from low fat foods.
    I don’t drink as much milk as I used to now I include it in my calorie/ carb allowance.
    In 100 ml of full cream milk there is 71 cals and 6.4g of carbs. In skim milk there are only 36 cals but still 5g of carbs. I would rather have the full cream milk for the minor difference in carbs, but only have 150 ml instead of the large glass I used to drink.
    Getting familiar with the carb content of foods you eat regularly will really help with this diet. There are many low cal so called good foods that are very high in carbs and will sabotage your weight loss and your blood sugar readings. Hope this is helpful to you, best wishes for your success!

• posted by Sward
    on

Thank you for the reply.
    Would you know how many carbs a day you are supposed to have given your advice?
    It looks like I need to count carbs as well as the calories?
    Just trying to get my head around the whole thing, then go shopping for the right stuff!

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

You are welcome, we are all learning as we go. There are a couple of threads on here about carb intake. I couldn’t get the dietician, diabetes nurse or GP to give a definite answer on this. I did a bit of research myself and found that some websites recommend around 15g of carbs per meal, max of 50/day for a low carb diet.
    I use an app called Australian diet diary which I have on my phone and iPad to keep track of my intake, it’s easy to use and you can type in your own recipes and it will calculate the nutritional values for you.
    I have found that if I go over 60g carbs a day I have a much higher blood glucose reading. If I stay around 50 or slightly above I can keep them in the non diabetic range.
    For me that’s enough incentive to be strict with myself. I was at the point of needing to start medication before this.

• posted by Chameleonbeetle
    on

It’s a matter of your own preferences. I had to lower my amount of lactose because of arthritis so I use almond milk in my cuppas, this allows me the occasional treat of ice cream or milkshake.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Sward
    If you are okay with dairy, full fat milk is best as it is the fat that helps us feel full for longer, but do keep track of the number of calories being consumed this way – count them all. Best to measure the milk and keep in a separate container to use throughout the day. Also check the carb content, so that you are not suppressing progress by eating too much. This diet seems to be about the make up of the 800 calories a day, not just the number of calories – i.e. not all calories are equal.

As for the amount of carbs per day, although this is not talked about in the book, from other threads on the forum and the experience of the participants – and my own experience – it seems to help if you can keep your carbs down to no more than 50g per day. That might sound hard to do, but actually it is quite easy if you are getting most of your calories from proteins and fats.

Good luck and keep posting – let us know how you progress and keep an eye on the other threads on the forum, as there is planty of advise, tips and support here.

Please log in or register to post a reply.