Calorie counting app: now dubious

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Scotgran
    on

I thought getting a calorie counting app was a good idea.Ive even recommended it to Lucia. But now it’s got me thinking. Before I downloaded it, I ate nothing but three meals from the book. I lost weight and didn’t feel hungry. Now, in the evenings, I look to see what I’ve had and how many calories I have left and I’m back to fridge raiding. A piece of cheese here, a few almonds there. I often now go to bed feeling too full as I’ve crammed in all the remaining calories in the evening when I don’t take exercise. Also, I was alarmed at how much a pear in the evening increased my carb content. So my weight loss has stalled and I think that pear full of carbs last thing at night is doing bad things to me overnight. Any thoughts? Should I ditch the app?

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Scotgran,
    I’m using the app as a learning tool. I have the same one as you ( I’m in Aus),
    and I use it to type up recipes of meals that I would normally make. Then I check the carb count per serve, this gives me the chance to change the serve size or add/ swap ingredients.
    I also use the daily tracker for my carbs so I can see at what amount they start to affect my sugar levels ( up or down).
    I think if you plan your day’s eating and enter it into the app in the morning, you can check the tally and add extra to your meals if you’re under. That might stop you feeling free to ‘fridge raid’ at night.
    I’m planning ahead for my life after the 8 weeks when I have to know what size serves are ok and how to be more mindful of what I am eating.
    Hope this helps ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Cherrieanne, I am beginning to think I need a smart phone to be able to use these apps! After reading your posts I think I need to think about carbs a bit more carefully! Thanks for the heads up!
    Judith x

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Judith,
    Do you have an iPad you could put one on? It saves me looking up nutritional info on each item every time. As I’m a bit of an experimental cook, it’s a good tool when I’m trying to pick between ingredients for the best low carb option.
    I don’t worry about the calories just the carbs and I also keep an eye on my protein intake. Not obsessive about it but just because I’m vegetarian.
    You are doing a great job already though! Impressive weight loss and improvements in your health.
    BTW 37C here today and it’s supposed to be autumn!!! It will be cooler in May when you arrive so bring your jumper. I did get your reference to unravelling old ones. My Nanna used to do that! She’d unravel it, steam the wool and use the back of the chair to wind it round to straighten it until it dried. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Cherrieanne, all I have apart from my pc and a very basic phone is an old blackberry playbook – manufacture ceased july 2014, I think, so the browser is not fully supported and gets worse by the week!
    I think it will soon be time to join the more technologically advanced world! Especially before I travel to Australia!
    37C is still so hot! Unless it drops to below 17C I won’t need a jumper!! I’m from North East England!
    I’m hoping to travel very light – I might buy new clothes out there and if necessary ditch my old clothes and travel back light! My meds take up a lot of volume so I know I will need a bag to go in the hold. See, Bill, there is method in my madness of wearing my more than ten year old jumper!
    When my mother used to unravel wool I had to sit in front of her with my arms outstretched while she wound the wool round them! Those were the days! Now you see people throwing away good clothes because they don’t have the skill (?) to stich up a hem or sow a button back on!! I bet your nanna had a lovely button tin too! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

He He
    I well remember holding my arms out while my Mim and Gran unravelled old knitwear and rewound it on my wrists, ached after a while.
    So can I trump you with this ? – Mat frames for clippy (or proggy) mats.
    At night the frames would come out, the adults made the mats and us kids used to cut up old coats etc to make the clippings
    OMG I’m getting so old.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

I don’t remember frames but I do remember helping with the making of clippy mats! Yeh, we’re definitely showing our age and yup I still remember the stiff arms! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Judith the frames were the wooden framework that had the canvas stretched across so you could prog the clippings through it.
    Posh people had proper metal proggers, we used half a sharpened clothes peg ๐Ÿ˜€
    My Grandad was a bit of an artist and produced some lovely designs, my Grans favourite rug was black with a huge red rose in the centre

• posted by hashimoto
    on

You were posher than us bill, no frames or nice patterns – just any colours in any order! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Scotgran
    on

Cherrieanne, I think you are right, I should enter in in the morning and stick to it. As it is, I enter in the evening when I’ve eaten my three meals , then think, oh goodie, i can stuff myself. Wrong approach methinks!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Scotgran
    sincere apologies for derailing your thread
    Personally I would ditch the app but I can see how it helps some people, it’s just a matter of personal taste, I feel confident enough now to guesstimate the carbs and cals in my food and I seem to be doing OK
    Go back to what you were doing, it worked then, it still will.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Bill and Judith. Proggy mats are alive and well ๐Ÿ˜ƒ. I went with a local craft club to Beamish for a day learning how to make one. An there’s a local group meeting weekly who make them ๐Ÿ˜ƒ.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Lynne how lovely that an old skill won’t be lost ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Judith, museum pieces like me are good at that LOL ๐Ÿ˜ƒ When the twins (8 years old now) visit they sew and other things like that instead of spending hours playing games on their phones. Cruel grandma ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Lynne they must adore you for it! You would be surprised if you knew how many children never get that experience. Same goes for board games and jacks. I found during wet play/dinner times both boys and girls preferred actual activities to the boring old ipads! X

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Judith, felt guilty because they sometimes had to come to work with me. Then I was told they love it because they get to go to different places and meet all kinds of different people. (The sweets and money they get given help of course LOL)

Please log in or register to post a reply.