Calorie count in the Blood Sugar Diet book

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Jill55
    on

I bought the Blood Sugar Diet book and have tried two recipes from it now, but inputting the ingredients into an online calorie counter gives a much much higher calorie level than is specified in the book. So today it’s Chicken Korma – the book says 340 calories per person, the online calculator is between 500 and 550 depending on the weight of chicken – the book says ‘small chicken breast’. I had a similar discrepancy with a mackerel frittata I made.

I tend to believe the online calorie counter – the korma recipe for example has 100 ml of coconut milk, 100ml full fat Greek yoghurt, a tablespoon of oil per person as well as other ingredients, including the chicken. It’s hard to believe it could ever come in at 340 calories.

But the book was written by Michael Mosley’s wife and has him doing an intro so I would have hoped it was more accurate. Anyone else had a similar experience?

• posted by Bissell
    on

The korma recipe is either 200mls coconut milk OR 200mls of yoghurt, for two people. So that should help a bit!😀

• posted by Jill55
    on

thanks!

• posted by Felicity
    on

I’ve noticed the same thing. I’ve been logging my food onto my Fitbit food tracker. Someone mentioned in a post that the carb free ploughman’s totalled 250 calories (and that particular version included ham), but an apple, matchbox piece of cheddar cheese and 50g mixed nuts I had for lunch today totalled 493 calories on my Fitbit food tracker. Concerned I’m either eating too many calories … or too few!
    Would be useful to know which calorie counter should be used.

• posted by MissR
    on

Hi,,, I’ve noticed this too. I’ve been gradually adding the recipes I’m using into my Nutracheck tracker and often find them to be much higher in calories than stated in the book. I love the food, but have had to make some alterations to recipes to achieve an acceptable number of calories. Yesterday I added the full English brunch and had to omit the black pudding to make the calories acceptable. I don’t like black pudding anyway, but it would be great if the recipes were more reliable in this respect.

Please log in or register to post a reply.