Calorie confusion

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Forkers
    on

Hi everyone,
    I’m on day 2 of the 800 calories a day and I just entered the blueberry and green tea shake into my calorie counter but 2 tablespoons of full fat Greek yoghurt is coming in at 103 calories whereas the whole thing is supposed to be 100 calories.
    Can anyone advise? The Internet is saying 1 tbsp yoghurt weighs 40g.

• posted by Izzy
    on

it will depend on the yoghurt maybe? I just tried it in my fitbit app and 80g of fage total is coming up at 77 calories.

• posted by Forkers
    on

Thanks for this, I also just looked up calories in almonds and 1 tbsp ranges from
    63 calories to 130 I am so confused!
    I don’t see how this recipe can only have 100 calories regardless of brand difference?
    It’s extra annoying as its delicious!

• posted by Frog
    on

someone else commented on that a couple of weeks ago with a different product.
    I think different yoghurt brands do vary – someone commented that Fage is lower carb than most.

With the almonds, are they (or the nutrition info your looking at) processed or coated in any way?
    Failing that, just check on several sites and see what seems probably, based on the most common data from the sample.

With online databases, remember that most database entries will be added by users, often without much checking going on.
    I selected tomatoes on myfitnesspal this morning, which came up as no carbs at all – I think whoever made the database entry was counting calories and fat, but not carbs, so didn’t bother entering them. There is an option to report incorrect nutritional info, and amend it.

• posted by Izzy
    on

if you are looking at measures like tbsp you need to make sure you are specific as well. For almonds are they whole, flaked, ground etc. a tbsp of ground almonds would be more than a tbsp of whole.

• posted by JK88
    on

So is the consensus on this that different brands offer more or less calories?

I suppose if you stick to the figures on the menus, in the long run it wont make such a massive difference?

jk

• posted by GonnaBeDazzling
    on

Hello JK88

There have been several comments on these forums about the calories counts in the book, as many of them are inaccurate – sometimes by a fair way – and can be either up or down from what is stated in the book when calculated using any of the calorie counting resources found online.

Some users say as you do, that going by the calorie count in the book will probably even out over time. Other people weigh the ingredients and do their own calculations so they know exactly how much they are eating. Certainly weighing is more accurate than using spoonfuls as a measure, unless you are using measuring spoons. And different brands do vary, but they all have the info on the packaging, thank goodness!

And congratulations on getting started. It’s quite a journey that we are all doing, and there are some amazing success stories to inspire us.

Please log in or register to post a reply.