Cacao Nibs

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Just wondering if anyone else is wishing they’d not bought a pack of cacao/cocoa nibs! I bought some by “Creative Nature” and, frankly, I thought they smelled & tasted disgusting. I was expecting them to be bitter (visited Cadbury World a few years ago so I knew the choccie drink brewed up by the ancients of South America was bitter) but I wasn’t expecting it to be so bad. Admittedly, I’m more of a milk chocolate gal than plain chocolate. I did a bit of Googling and have seen references to roasting the nibs – a bit of deeper delving and it seems that the bean naturally contains acetic acid & tannins (hence the bitterness).
    So I’ve just tried roasting a small batch (180C in a fan oven) for about 9-10mins and the end result is distinctly more palatable – still some bitterness but closer to plain choc.
    I might actually try cooking with them now!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I think it might be a taste that takes time to get used to!

Please log in or register to post a reply.