BUSY, BUSY WITH SANTA’S ELVES, WHILE CARING GENTLY FOR OURSELVES: 4wks to 26 Dec

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Mariet
    on

I everyone, I’m making myself post because that’s one way of trying to stay accountable. I’ve not wanted to ruin the hopeful mood in this thread but so far thus challenge has been much less than successful, all my own fault. I thought I would be able to negotiate the parties etc a lot better than I have. So with less than a week of this challenge I am 600g up on the start, so still more than a kilo away from my final goal.

I’ve been kidding myself that at least this is better than other years, I can catch up after Christmas, blah blah blah. I see so many of you powering through and am thoroughly ashamed of myself!

So back to weighing and recording yesterday, 760 cal and 19 carbs- and that’s just my normal diet if I leave out the extra spoonful of yoghurt, the scrape of the wok from my son’s teriyaki chicken, the glass of champagne when I catch up with friends.

Five more parties scheduled in this festive season so I’d better make me a better plan 😨

At least it’s turned cooler today, pool parties yesterday and the day before with temps over 40 were far too conducive to icy relaxing beverages.

Best wishes everyone for a happy and peaceful Christmas!

• posted by Marsie
    on

No shame, Mariet, just determination is the way to go. I just had a peek back at your profile and you’ve come a very long way since your start in 2016. Congrats on that and substitute a few glasses of sparkling mineral water with ice and lemon or lime slices plus mint sprig between the other coldies. Works wonders, looks festive.

Have a wonderful holiday with your loved ones, Busybee, safe travels. Look after yourself.

Lunch out yesterday with longtime friends (Carol & I have been friends since we were 8 yrs old and I moved to the same school), very enjoyable day but not as well controlled as I’d imagined. Allowed bread, potato mash and small glass of bubbles to pass these lips. Don’t think I enjoyed them, it was more a matter of automatically eating whilst chatting. Ordered the chicken dish thinking I wouldn’t eat the potato. Didn’t clean the plate but damage done and I definitely feel the worse for it today, including 500gm increase on the scales. Very basic eating today ….

One more restaurant meal on Christmas Eve with #1 son who is working on Christmas Day. I will definitely be more aware of my eating behaviors between now and Boxing Day.

Mixnmatch, hope you’re in a better place just now xx

Good thoughts being sent to everyone on this fabulous forum xx

• posted by Marsie
    on

Suggestion for our next rhyming challenge:
    “2018, a happy new year,
    We’ll meet our goals with great good cheer” 4wk challenge to 23rd Jan.

It’s a bit clunky. Please put on your thinking caps🎓, refine it or make an entirely new suggestion. The more the merrier😆

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Mariet, please don’t feel any shame! I admire your courage in posting 🙂 I’m in the same boat as you and have been lurking in the background, reading everyone’s posts but not wanting to post myself! I’m still 1.8kg away from my 4 week goal, and have been putting ON a weight this challenge instead of losing it! I haven’t even been eating or drinking that much really (especially compared to other Christmases), but all of the lunches/drinks/morning teas add up. This week I’ve lost a bit of what I’ve gained, but am still 700g more than I was at the start of the challenge. I think I was optimistic in thinking I could lose a couple of kilos more before Christmas. In retrospect I should have made my goal to just stay the same weight rather than losing more!
    I did find a nice drink that is only a couple of calories – Schweppes mineral water with natural lime flavour. It’s 0.3 carbs and no sugars/artificial sweetener. It was very refreshing on the 2 x 40deg days we had this week!
    It’s not all bad for me though, I did a health station check at my local Priceline pharmacy and got a good score there. This time last year my “heart age” was 65 and this time is was 52 (my actual age). My weight is also 12kg less than this time last year and blood pressure was normal (107/74 whereas last year it was 134/115!)
    Anyway I will KOKO and am going to do a strict 8 week round in Jan – this will coincide with my 1 year BSD anniversary. I’ve decided it will be “18 in ’18” for me next year – that is lose 18kg in 2018 🙂
    I won’t be recording my weight on Christmas Day, so wishing everyone a lovely Christmas and New year and see you in the next thread 😀🎅🎄

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Marsie,

I like it. What about changing it slightly to

“2018, a happy new year
    Meeting our goals with great good cheer” 4wk challenge to 23rd Jan

Mariet, I wrote a response to you last night, but lost it as I tried to post so went to bed instead. Like Marsie, I read your profile. You’ve done brilliantly so no need to feel bad – but good idea to tighten up your plan.
    Two things also jumped out from your post – ‘five more parties’ – wow, you are one popular woman! and ‘pool parties yesterday’ – that’s a hard one to read from over here!

Marsie – talking about weather – you mentioned in another post about it being so hot in Perth when it was snowing here – I mentioned this to my husband who immediately started talking about the WACA – I’ve since been told about the new cricket stadium ‘the crow’s nest’ ?!? and given a blow by blow account of the Ashes games (was it the Ashes? – anyway, I know you won). I really must be more careful in future…… . Enjoy the meal with number 1 son.

Good news for me again this week. I’ve lost another 3lb – as usual 1lb Mon, 1lb Tues, 1lb Wed. (Mariet, I don’t go anywhere). Stayed the same this morning. This means I’ve reached my target of getting to 10 stone. I’m within a few lbs of reaching my first big weight goal – shifting down into my healthy BMI range. Happy with that.

Oops, got to go – late as ever – will be back later.

• posted by Natalie
    on

What is KOKO? I’ve seen a couple of people use it recently.

I made a terrible “food” choice this evening – a candy cane. 25 grams of sugar mixed with glucose syrup (and a little mint flavour). I did enjoy it but now my tongue is really sore. Does anyone else get that? If I eat too much sugar it’s like my tongue is all scratched and swollen. I’ve had two mugs of home made chicken broth to sooth it. Will not be including candy canes as a treat again!

• posted by Mariet
    on

Thank you Marsie and Marie, I’m feeling better already 🙂 You’re right, I have a busy social calendar though no more than many others I’m sure. A bit of background, my first husband decided that he didn’t want to be a father and left as soon as I became pregnant with our second child. So my 30s and most of my 40s I practically had no social life at all. When family and friends are looking after the kids so you can work you don’t want to ask them for more so that you can go out. Not complaining mind, that’s just how it was and I was happy and busy with the kids and the house & garden. Then 12 years ago I met my current partner and he is an extremely social man! I’ve met so many good friends and had so much fun in this last decade 🙂 The cost was steadily increasing weight, 18kg in 10 years and I wasn’t tiny to start with. I’m so grateful to have found the BSD. I managed to lose the weight while still going out etc, but this month has been really hard with so many events in such a short period. But as you say, determination is the key and I’m damned if I’m going to get so close and give up now!

I like the name for the new challenge! Well done 🙂

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Natalie

It’s Keep On Keeping On – I think sunshine-girl said it first (but could be wrong).

Marie

• posted by Marsie
    on

•marie123. Oh, that scans much better, Marie, thank you. Funny, isn’t it, you look at something for so long you can’t see the woods from the trees.

Lol, Marie, yes it was the Ashes. Interesting to know that our new stadium is spoken of “over there” although Crows Nest hasn’t been commonly used, though I can see why it would attract that name. The Ashes tests in Perth will all be played there now, and I suppose against most other test nations, with the WACA kept for more low attendance matches. Can’t wait to start using it early next year and, as it is primarily a football (Aussie rules) stadium, I’ll be there often for our footie and cricket teams.

You’re doing very well, Marie! Congrats on the 10stone👏👏 and very soon to your BMI goal, such great progress😊

•Mariet, I admire your strength of character and that will carry you through this busy time. Have a wonderful Christmas with your great partner and family x

•Natalie, I have had a sore mouth, ulcers, after a sugar binge … thankfully not for some time. And candy canes, I have usually hung some on our tree but this year I haven’t opened the pkt of canes, despite 9yo grandson begging me to as he was “helping” me dress the tree today. Don’t know why I bought the pkt … on sale/habit. I’m going to throw them out, why keep temptation in the house? And why encourage anyone else to take in that much sugar?

• posted by Flick
    on

Oh give me strength, I have to go to the markets again and it is mango season. A new level of torture to add to the bedlam that is the markets at this time of year.

Mariet and Sueblue, I reckon you are both champions. I really admire your determination and guts. Mariet, I started at about the same weight as you and can’t imagine reaching the low 60s. Hat’s off to you. You’ll make it that tiny bit further to your goal in the new year, without a doubt.

Sueblue, your success at sticking to a better health/weight loss commitment through thick and thin is stunning. Getting through Decemeber with only a minor gain or staying at a stable weight is totally impressive.

When I rant on about not taking a backward step, not waivering, I’m just trying to bolster myself up. I know I’m such a quitter when it comes my own well being, I am always a hair’s breadth away from saying it is all too hard. I reckon I’ve only got about 2 ‘deviate/splurge followed by reset’ in me, before throwing in the towel – so I have to be rigid.

I do hope my rants are not having a discouraging effect on anyone who is able to succeed with a more flexible approach.

Anyway, I had better go tackle the hoards at the markets.

Warmest best wishes to everyone for a wonderful Christmas break.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Ah, keep on keeping on, first known use 1918 about soldiers in WWI. I hadn’t seen it as an acronym before.

Marsie I’m glad it’s not just me with the sore mouth and ulcers (not that I’d want you to get them, but you won’t on this woe anyway), no one I know gets this or had heard of it. It’s like I’m making it up! And it’s almost instant too. Luckily I don’t have a sweet tooth and rarely eat pure sugar! I just need to work on reducing stuff my body turns into sugar – chips and savoury crackers mainly.

Flick I was going to suggest sharing a mango with someone, just having one cheek, but I looked it up and one medium cheek still has 14g of carbs. Hmm, I’ve been eating whole mangos quite often! Fruit always seems such a healthy option compared to what I could be eating, but I guess I need to be more judicious in my choices and quantities.

• posted by Flick
    on

It is so cruel Natalie, my log app tells me one small mango is 28 carbs and a whacking great 27 sugar. And of course all the lovely peaches … 😭

• posted by Milalin
    on

Hi Flick yes my GP told me to lay off the mangoes about 2 weeks into the season. I had been having 1-2 each day! By the time I started this I was ok without them but they do beckon me when I’m at the markets .

• posted by Milalin
    on

Hi Natalie yes I’ve missed mangoes this season too! Also thanks for asking as I was wondering about KOKO too!

• posted by Milalin
    on

Hi Marsie I’m looking forward to the new thread but I’m no good with helping with the name!

• posted by Milalin
    on

Hi everyone and seasons greetings again. This is not about the diet but is Christmasy…
    I’m at dialysis today, the morning started very ordinary with me having a vagal and feeling sick but I soon recovered and a few of us started the gift giving. We will be here on Xmas Eve but some nurses won’t. So we’re a bit early. I gave mainly food gifts that are renal friendly and people started sharing. Another patient’s daughter has brought earrings and necklace lights for all the nurses and patients. So everyone has been getting into the spirit today.
    Then just as we quietened down we heard Christmas music getting louder. About a dozen nurses led by our transplant coordinator on guitar we’re making the rounds of the dialysis wards with bells and singing carols. Each ward they sang a different carol. They had dressed up too. It was magic! I teared up, it was so lovely and I really felt the Christmas spirit. The Chaplain also visited with cards for each of us. Everyone here is fantastic and makes our days as easy as possible. I just wanted to share and also wish you all good health and happiness and of course success x🎄🎉

• posted by Natalie
    on

Oh that’s lovely Milalin. I guess you get to know the nurses and other patients very well as you’re there so often. I hope you start 2018 with a big improvement in health.

• posted by Milalin
    on

Thank you Natalie. I’m attached to the acute ward whilst training so it has been very confronting at times. Sometimes I think the visitor partners etc are the most upset . It means the very special nurses are always trying to distract everyone with jokes and when we are able to, we do it too. People bond quickly because of the adversity and we all try to make it more pleasant for everyone. Very rarely do we have the odd bully or idiot patient. All of the staff I’ve met have been exceptional. Myself, I will face a lot in 2018 so I’ll take all the good wishes I can get. I try to think of being in the surf ( being an Aussie) no matter how rough the water and waves knocking me down, one after the other, eventually I’d come up for air and cop another and another to eventually ride one in. The most magnificent feeling. Today my nurse told me to “ go to your happy place” a couple of times, in a difficult situation. This actually works . So next year I’ll deal with the biggest of waves, they’ll keep knocking me down all year but hopefully at the end I’ll have a new kidney and new life. I’ll be able to bathe and surf and travel again. Jan 25 my 1st 2 ops scheduled. So nothing will tempt me this Christmas except possibly a few extra nuts. I am focused and determined and look forward to getting to know you and everyone else here as I’ll be able to spend more time online. I can’t express enough the gratitude I have for finding these forums and the wonderful help and generosity of everyone here. Truly, reading the posts and seeing the support has blown me away. X

• posted by Verano
    on

Milalin what a touching post. I haven’t posted much on this thread and have just read your post. I can only add my best wishes for you for 2018. Just keep riding those waves and you will make it back to the shore. Good luck with your upcoming surgeries.

• posted by marie123
    on

Milalin – what a moving description of the spirit of people, particularly at Christmas. I also give you my best wishes for 2018. Glad you found this forum and I’ll look forward to chatting more with you next year.

Btw, what a great description of surfing. For the first time in my life I regret never having tried it.

Marie x

• posted by Marsie
    on

Milalin, I do like your surfing metaphor. Being a poor swimmer (yes, it’s true, not all Australians are good swimmers) and having been frighteningly dumped by the surf down at Yallingup, I related to your description and it’s aptness as a metaphor for life.

Oddly, given the above, my “happy place” has been to visualize swimming with the dolphins at Monkey Mia.

And more, since 1998 I’ve been living with one healthy kidney and live in absolute denial that it, too, could be affected in the future. Happy place, dolphins ….. I wish you the best that can be until you do receive your transplant. Keep on keeping on, at all levels. We’re glad you found the forums too xx Marilyn

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Morning all,

Been absent for a little while as school holidays have thrown my routine out and had a 1.4lb gain over the past week.

Milalin, also adding my best wishes as you look ahead to 2018.

x

• posted by JulesP
    on

Like you Marietta and SueBlue I’ve been reading but not posting as I’ve slipped over to the dark side of carbs/sugar yet again, I’m in awe of those if you who can keep on so strictly, trying my best to emulate you. Determined to get back on track now and have a BSD friendly Christmas, so much amazing advice and suggestions in here that it should be very doable.
    Milalin, sending very best wishes to you xxxxx

• posted by Mariet
    on

Milalin, I can’t imagine the difficult road you are travelling. Your attitude is inspiring and it’s great to hear how all of you in your acute care circle are banding together and supporting each other.

Jules, I am about to head out to a party (1 out of 5) and I have prepared sparkling water, olive dip (0.5g carbs/ 20g dip) sliced cucumber and determined attitude. Hoping the execution is as satisfying as the plan 😊

Three days until Christmas and so much to do! I was looking forward to a quiet day after kids left after breakfast but my lovely niece has asked me to come to her house for Christmas dinner. It’s lovely of her and I’ll go of course but I must say it puts my plans right out of whack.

Since my whiny post of the other day I have lost 1.7kg in 3 days if careful eating so in a good place. Hoping this is true for all of you.

• posted by Milalin
    on

Thank you for all your lovely messages wishing me well.
    Hi Verano I hope you are doing well.
    Hi Marie123 it’s body surfing and I loved to do it with my dad up until I was a teenager. I’ve done it all my life. In recent years I’ve snorkelled more and love swimming with Rays and sharks. April last year I was the last time I did it in Bora Bora and Moorea. Since August last year I haven’t swum at all. Something I really miss. After I recover from the January surgery I will be able to swim again so I can’t wait for that.
    Thank you for your lovely comments and best wishes to you x
    Marsie hi! I’ve had more than a few bad dumps in January big surf at the Gold Coast. A couple of big ones I didn’t know which way was up and was running out of air. The scariest I thought I’d badly hurt my neck/ back. Most of my time has been spent on the east coast but I finally visited Perth for the first time in 2011. I’ve been back since but hope to really explore the West one day. Since I heard about stromatolites I always wanted to see them. So I drove my dad up that far one day and we visited the Pinnacles. I haven’t been to Monkey Mia but that’s been on my list for a very long time too. Swimming with turtles in the islands and in Hawaii has been fantastic too.
    Please get your renal function checked every year and watch your blood pressure if you do nothing else. My daughter is in denial too and we know she has inherited my disease. X thanks Marilyn

• posted by Milalin
    on

Hi Mokovex, you’ll soon get back into it. Thanks for your good wishes and enjoy the holidays. Happy new year to you too x

• posted by Milalin
    on

Hi JulesP back into it, and good luck. Thank you and all the best for 2018 to you too xx

• posted by Milalin
    on

Hi Mariet and thank you. It’s more a case that I don’t have a choice and I have to meet all these challenges head on. My Dr told me many years ago that he had 2 types of patients, those that kind of give in to it and give up and others like me who fight and burn the candle at both ends. I was quite young when I knew something was wrong and took 5 years to get a proper diagnosis. Thankfully I’ve been able to live a very full life and jammed in as much as possible as nothing is guaranteed. Next year I’ll have been diagnosed 30 years. I’ve been lucky to visit 65 countries, raise my daughter, continue to hold a job, even though I’m on leave now. Your plan sounds good and that’s half way there. Also, congratulations on your loss! Merry Christmas x

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Just checking in from the other side of the Pacific Ocean — Milalin, thank you for your festive spirit post — I will be thinking of you as we move into the new year and hoping for a successful outcome for your surgery. Merry Christmas!

• posted by Milalin
    on

Hi Californiagirl and thank you! I happen to be awake, yes at 3am over here.
    MerryChristmas and Happy New Year to you too. A lot hangs on the results of the first 2 surgeries. I’ll let you, along with everyone here,. know how I get on. Enjoy the holidays x

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Milalin, I’m so happy to spot your recent posts, and that you are
    feeling a little less fatigued to be able to post them? I’m so besotted
    with your life’s view of not seeing yourself as a “vicim” because you
    have challenges with your health, or an addiction to carbs/sugar!
    I find something exceptionally beautiful in that…There are too many
    successful maintainers here to recognize us all by name, and we
    can always answer questions and give advice. I think that you have
    something even more valuable to share with us though 🙂 I’m
    extremely elated to have you here. It’s been wonderful to read
    about all the things that you enjoy and give texture and meaning
    to your life. What your daughter has experienced in terms of your
    courage will no doubt serve her well when she must deal with the
    same renal failure in her future, too!
    Have a beautiful Christmas Milalin, and please join us on the upcoming Jan.thread if you are up to it. I fly around to many different threads,
    but will definitely be keeping a eye out for you! We truly want to
    know how you’re doing 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Something tells me it’s going to be a life changing New Year for you!

Allie

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hi Milalin, I can only reiterate what my friend Allie has said above. You sound like one inspirational lady, and I too wish you a wonderful and healthier 2018.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

I’ve had a surprising bit of weight loss in the last 2 days because although I’ve been sticking to bsd principles, I haven’t been counting calories. I made it down to 81.5kg today which means I have lost exactly 10kg since starting. At the beginning of this, I was hauling 10kg bags of compost around my dad’s garden and I was overwhelmed that I would have to lose 2 of them to get back to a healthy weight. Well, that is one of them gone! Now I just have 1 more to go!
    Even though the weight has not come off as quickly as I might have liked, I have managed to get back on track after stressful events which previously would have caused me to give up completely. I can go up stairs and steep hills so much easier and my knees have stopped hurting when going up and down stairs. I’m looking forward to going to my doctor once the last of the weight is gone and getting my cholesterol tested again to see if losing the weight has impacted my numbers at all.
    KOKO everyone!

• posted by Flick
    on

Woohoo Articfox, that is so exciting. And what a great way to be heading into the New Year! Aren’t these non scale benefits terrific. I’ve lost just under 8, also have roughly 10 to go, but can notice a big difference in my daily walks. I also notice it bashing about the shops and markets.

After positively bragging about my champion sleeper status, I woke last night with the most excruciating leg cramps. I had read somewhere in these forum that placing soap at the bottom of the bed can help, I did this, it did seem to help, but not before an absolutely agonising half hour. So I’ve woken this morning feeling tired and groggy, first time in about 5 weeks – ghlaarg.

Hi Milalin, i think I’ll survive without mangos but only just. All the best for the next couple of days, hope you get some good rest over Christmas and I really look forward to hearing how you are going prepping for your first surgery later in Jan. Thank you so much for sharing your strong positive outlook.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi qll; yes flick the soap trick does work but it takes a few nights to kick in. It is something to do the chemicals in the soap reducing the amount of static around your legs: I am at my daughters and bring a small bar with me, as I was getting out of bed this morning I got a slight cramp only to find the soap on the floor kicked out of bed.

I am very happy to report that my weight is exactly the same as last week – didn’t get on Tuesday as was travelling: 11 stone 13 and 3/4 lbs. Tonight went to the cinema and then to Chiquitos and stupidly ordered a burrito, didn’t know what it was and managed to leave the wrap but didn’t realise it was full of rice so had to eat the chicken bits out. Dont thing the whoo whoo cocktails did me much good either. At least I am going into Christmas at a good weight; have a good one all.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Arcticfox 10 kg is fantastic! Halfway there. I nearly made it to 10 kg (9.6) but I’ve put 1.4 back on over the past six weeks. So I’m a third of the way to my goal.

Flick I had a bad night too, I get frequent night sweats due to peri-menopause, always teamed with bad/frustrating dreams (last night’s was about being in a long queue at the shops to buy my turkey!) and I wake feeling yuck in a puddle of sweat. It was actually worse in winter because I would be hot and sweaty and chilled all at the same time. When I’m tired and headachy I want to eat! It’s going to be a hungry day today.

Sunshine-girl I’m not sure if there is any Mexican food that is BSD friendly! Very carb-heavy. At home, I make a salad of all the things I would put in a taco (spicy mince, cheese, salsa, tomato, lettuce, cucumber, jalapeños) without the taco shell and it’s delicious, not sure what you could get at a restaurant. My local Mad Mex has a ‘naked burrito’ in a bowl with no wrap but it still has lots of beans and rice.

• posted by Flick
    on

Forvthe win, Natalie! I love it when that final shop is done. And a day and a half to go. So interesting the poor sleep and hunger thing. I had finished lunch today by 12.15!

I loved your positives for the day. My girls are living away from home now, and while they drop in and will be here for Christmas Eve dinner abd Christmas Day, I miss prepping together and the casual singing of carols.

• posted by marie123
    on

Natalie – I don’t often think about food I used to eat, but funnily enough I was thinking about tacos yesterday. I used to make them for my family and was wondering if I could have them, perhaps putting the mince, cheese etc in salad leaves instead of taco shells. I might try making my own salsa (used to get the Taco Kit from supermarket). Hmm.. I think I must be hungry!
    Btw, didn’t know that about KOKO and WW1 – I must look it up.

Well, was going to post more but I’m being beckoned – going to deliver some Christmas presents. Catch up with everyone else later.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hello friends!

Phew! It’s been a mad week at work and I’m shattered! But I’m now on leave for a few days! Hurrah! The team Xmas party was Weds night in London and it was all a horrible rush to get down there. By the time I checked in, I had only 40 mins to get ready before the meal at 7pm. I missed the pre-drinks gathering entirely. Wasn’t too bothered about that. But, when I unpacked my case, I discovered I’d forgotten to pack the bottom half of my outfit! So I looked ridiculous in my non matching work trousers that were wet at the hem as they’re big on me now and drag. No time to reapply make up, just a touch up or run the hot brush through my flattened dishevelled hair! But down to the meal I went. Gluten free and bsd friendly. I nipped back to my room about 9 for an hour to have a chill and my friend bought us both a vodka lime and soda to cheer me up! I went back down for another stint to show my face and then the staff started herding us all out abruptly about 11.30! The others were all off to a karaoke bar and tried to pursuade me to go, but I just wanted to go and enjoy my room and chill. I can smile about it now, but I was so disappointed and thought the whole evening a ‘disaster’ at the time! Next year will be so different!

I weighed in this morning at 16.3. 1 lb off. Silver lining! Lost 10 lbs this challenge and the goal was 6. So it’s all positive!

Apologies for not mentioning your individual posts, I have a lot of reading to catch up on, but I do wish every one of you a wonderful Xmas, good cheer and much love.

Kazzee xxx

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hello Milalin, yes I have full annual checks even 18 years post cancer. I guess what I meant by denial was that I live along the lines of “plan for the worst (annual checks) while living/hoping for the best”. And that doesn’t explain in any way my recurring carb longings – maybe that’s the denial part.

And, Monkey Mia, that truly was some self-hypnotic dreaming going on there. Yes, we’ve been to Monkey Mia and thoroughly enjoyed the time, but swimming with the dolphins?? No, no doesn’t happen there. The environment there is so strictly and scientifically controlled that you can’t swim while the lovelies are in close. At the usual, almost to the minute, times the dolphins come in for their treats, everyone is lined up along the shore of the bay and only half a dozen or so lucky people are chosen to hand feed them. Still a wonderful experience watching on. They are never given enough to rely on as their only food, but to see the mothers bringing in their new babes (2 when we were there) to show the rangers (who have them all named) and how protective they are in not allowing them near us, the strangers, was quite an emotional experience. When you hear that in earlier, more carefree and interactive times, a virus was spread and it took quite some time for the surviving dolphins to return, the restrictions are understandable. Scientists/students from many international universities come to study our Monkey Mia dolphins. Sorry, get me going and this is the result ……..

I’ll organise the new challenge thread for Tuesday unless someone else would like to. Just let me know.

Well, my lovelies, x2 more sleeps, take care while kokoodaat xx

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Marsie I was just wondering if it might be worth having a week ‘off’ and starting on January 2nd. Lots of people will start the new challenge but may be discouraged with the remains if the festive season getting in the way and give up. Just a thought , but then there would be a straight months run to start the new year?

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Good idea, Verano. Tuesday the 2nd seems an ideal time to start the next challenge, particularly as I’m not finished with December yet! There’s another week to go! 😁

• posted by marie123
    on

Marsie – my husband is also a multiple sports fan. One of his Christmas presents this year are tickets to an Australia vs England One Day International. I’ll be going with him. It’s not ’til June but I’m already feeling strangely, mischievously drawn to cheer for the Aussie team!

Natalie – just in case – Keep on Keeping On One Day At A Time – it’s a different language isn’t it!

Mitalin – the body surfing sounds fantastic – what great memories you must have of sharing that time with your Dad. I’ve heard of Bora Bora but had to look up Moorea – wow, it looks so beautiful.

Kazz – how disappointing – when I first read about your overnight in London I thought it sounded such a great night out – but 10lb loss – that is a BIG silver lining. Good for you!

You, too, Arcticfox, 10kg total is brilliant – and I loved your gardening analogy.

Mariet – Thanks for sharing a bit of your history. I’m always moved by how honest and open people are on here – and what a wonderful thing to be able to say how many good friends you’ve made and how much fun you’ve had in the last decade. Hope Party 1 of 5 (no jealousy here) went well.

Last, but by no means least, JGwen, I wanted to say how much I enjoyed reading your description of your trip to the supermarket through the snow – it really made me think about how much we need (and don’t need) this Christmas.

As Kazzee has said, apologies for not mentioning other individual posts, but hope everyone has a happy and healthy Christmas. See you post Christmas

Marie x

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Verano, Marsie, I’ve enjoyed both of your year end challenges so
    much! Can’t wait to see how many new BSD’ers we attract in Jan.
    Thank you both for all that you do to make this community what it
    is! Wishing you both a blessed holiday, and a great 2018.

Kazzi, I like your tenacious spirit, ready to fight for every last day
    of the year! You know that you’ll have me perched on your shoulder,
    whispering encouragement in your ear. Fight on, my sweet…

For everyone else who has participated in this thread with so many
    truths and insights, thank you all. I hope to get to know you better
    in the new year challenge. Merry Christmas to you all!

Allie

• posted by SueBlue
    on

KazzUK & Verano – I’m restarting on 2 Jan also and having the week between Christmas and New Year “off”. Although I won’t be counting calories, I still be following BSD principles. Except for Christmas Day 🙂

• posted by Natalie
    on

A couple of people have suggested delaying the new 4 week challenge until 2 January, because that is when a lot of the regulars are restarting after a little break and also there will probably be a lot of new people. If you do that (which I think is a great idea), perhaps you could post a one-week mini challenge to cover the Christmas to New Year gap, for those who aren’t taking time off strict BSD? Would that satisfy everyone?

• posted by alliecat
    on

That’s great idea, Nathalie! For those that miss a daily check-in, the option is out there.
    We can just catch up with others who like the idea of a week off on Jan. 2. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Perfect!

• posted by Milalin
    on

Hi Allie and thank you for your beautiful post to me. I’ll definitely be joining the January challenge! And yes I’ll keep you all up to date. I hope I don’t rave on too much but it’s going to be a huge year. The first surgeries and recovery will determine the rest. I’m not sure how much I’ve said previously and I’m too lazy to check so I’ll briefly describe what’s being done. The vascular surgeon is removing the Peritoneal catheter which is wholly sitting in a massive hernia . Then a urologist that specialises in transplant and cancer will remove one of my big ‘bad twins’- kidney. It is massive about 28 cm long and diameter 28 cm, and contains
    A large questionable mass the size of a grapefruit. Then they’ll biopsy the mass. Each of my kidneys are bigger than my daughter was at birth. Hence my twins. So there’ll be a significant weight loss getting one out. I hope they take the other one one day as neither of them work. Meanwhile I’m at dialysis today but have Christmas and Boxing Day off! I want to thank you and everyone here for making me so comfortable. I don’t normally talk about this stuff in my normal life. I guess if people here find it confronting they can scroll past my posts. I don’t post my weight much as my fluid levels are all over the place but I know this is working. I can’t wait to see my total for these four weeks in a couple of days. My bsl is also still improving and my blood work is due on Friday. I am noticing my clothes more comfortable too. I wish you a really wonderful Christmas and successful 20-18 x

• posted by Milalin
    on

Hi Theodora thank you and have a lovely Christmas and New year too❤️

• posted by Milalin
    on

Fantastic Atcticfox!
    Flick thank you for your good wishes again. Yes, I’ll keep you all posted. Have a lovely Christmas ❤️
    Marsie I’m pleased you keep up with your checks! As for Monkey Mia you’ve educated me. I know you’ve got the whale sharks over there too. I’ve imagined one of those popping up while swimming too…
    My daughter just came off a cruise today and she saw lots of turtles at Charlotte Amilee in Noumea. Have a wonderful Christmas 🎄❤️

Please log in or register to post a reply.