BUSY, BUSY WITH SANTA’S ELVES, WHILE CARING GENTLY FOR OURSELVES: 4wks to 26 Dec

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hello VictoriaM. Yes, that does sound like a good plan and Marie’s post is full of good thoughts.

You may find that you have good days, poor days, good weeks, poor weeks and it is critical after the poor times to re-focus straight away. You’ll see “keep on keeping on” (thanks sunshine-girl) and “one day at a time” amongst other little mantras. Feel free to adopt, adapt, develop your own, but perhaps the most important thing of all is to keep posting on the forum.

BTW, if I haven’t already said it Marie, you’ve been doing brilliantly, so well done with your bgls 🙂

You’ll find your way, Verano, and while plateauing may not be what you want, its a heap better than piling it all back on again. Sorry, it’s Marilyn speaking, not Pollyanna. Best wishes with the change of routine, I think it’s a great idea.

And, just adding, I’m so glad to see us all here in the lead-up to Christmas. Personally, this time is more challenging than Christmas Day itself. So many social occasions involving rich food and wine. So many temptations for sugar addicts. So easy for portion sizes to blow out even if making “good” selections. Still, at this stage of the month I am feeling positive..long may it last….

Cheers everyone xx

• posted by VictoriaM
    on

Hi, I’ve just measured my bg, slightly early, it’s not quite 2hours after lunch but I’m going out. It is 3.8 which is below what I read is normal (4 to 6). Does this mean I’m going too low on cabs? I’m currently doing 800 cals and 20 carbs. Taking 4 metformin a day.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

It means the BSD is doing is exactly what it says it will do, reverse or manage diabetes through diet alone. You don’t need more carbs. You need less metformin. Several people on this forum reduced their dosage or stopped taking it altogether when they started the BSD or as it progressed and their BG readings dropped. Congratulations!

• posted by Kush
    on

Hi Peeps, you’re all inspiring me with your pledges…I’d love to join you as another voice in the chorus if I may. Together we will achieve some pretty phenomenal results, let’s make it happen!
    I have previously lost 3st on the 5:2. I jammed at the 9st mark and since June have been struggling to lose the same couple of stubborn pounds, which was becoming impossible and driving me crackers!
    I have been looking for a new thunderbolt of motivation and think I’ve found it in the Blood Sugar diet. Dr Moseley knows what he’s talking about; I trust him and have seen results via his previous diets, so I’m ‘all in’ on this one with you all. Eating well is a form of self respect.

So here goes: by Christmas Day I *will* be at 8 1/2 stones.

I wish everyone a joyous and exciting journey towards increased health and positivity! xx

• posted by VictoriaM
    on

Thank you, I’ll see how it goes after a few days and then cut down to 3 metformin if it is consistent. It was 4.4 after my meal tonight.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Victoria,

I think that’s a good idea. I don’t take Metformin – I was prescribed it but decided to try the BSD first – but I do test my bgls before and after meals and my levels did go down surprisingly quickly – which is typical of what happens. As Esnecca says many people on here (now and in past posts) reduced their Metformin 1 by 1 as their bgls dropped. Whether you want to do that on your own, or in discussion with your healthcare team, is your call.

By the way, two or three times I’ve also had low readings – 3.8s or 3.9s – which I found unnerving. Still don’t know if I should have been concerned – I felt alright. It’s on my list of questions for my next meeting with my practice nurse (only my second) and for the trainers on the Desmond course I’m going to next week. I’m curious to hear what these trainers will be saying and particularly their view of the BSD.

Marie x

• posted by MaisieMouse
    on

Hi everyone, wow! I am a bit late starting off on this one and two pages of posts already!
    I’m beginning at 8st 12 and as usual I’m not counting calories or carbs but just going along with the Med woe. Now that I’m here (last challenge went so well!) I’ve shifted the goalposts so my final goal is now 8st 7.
    So for this challenge, bearing in mind it’s Christmas and lots of comings and goings, I aim to finish at 8st 10.
    Had a very stressful day today. My little dog was attacked by a Staffordshire bull terrier that was not on a lead! It was terrifying and the time it took to get the damn thing to unclamp it’s jaws felt like forever. There was so much blood, and screaming (from me) & I honestly thought my little 7 year old jack Russell would be dead.
    Bystanders were so lovely and there was a vets less than 800 yards away so as soon as we had managed to prise it off her we dashed down there, me and a lady who had stopped to help. Incredibly, she is relatively unharmed! Turns out that all the blood was from the mouth of the other dog, as it had ripped it’s own tooth out on her collar! She is incredibly subdued and upset still tonight and I think she is aching all over, but really she has had a miraculous escape.
    The reason I tell you all this is that I had a realisation at some point this evening. Previously at stressful times I would need to self-medicate with chocolate! Today eating just didn’t factor, it wasn’t part of the equation of the day at all. I mean that, it was no different from any other day, the food/eating was nothing to do with the emotions of the day. Do you know what I mean? This woe really is a way of life for me and nothing like being on a diet or being restricted. I am just so different around food now. It’s such a relief to be honest, to find this simple strategy and feel that food and eating is so normal and easy after so many years of guilt and cravings.

• posted by marie123
    on

Marsie – Thanks for the kind words of support – yes, I’m really pleased with the Hba1c results – although ever since I got them I seem to have took my foot off the brake. I keep finding myself with a very big spoon digging into large pots of Fage Total Yoghurt like there is no tomorrow. But, I’m going to get a grip. I’m determined to get to the end of this challenge – well, December really – nicely set up for 2018. Love the title of the challenge by the way.

Sunshine-girl – I wasn’t sure where to post my results so I posted them separately – can’t remember what I called the thread. At the beginning of August on diagnosis my Hba1c was 106 and my result on Monday was 35 (it didn’t give the % and can’t look it up right now). I know it said it was within the normal range.

I signed up to access my medical records on-line (in UK) so I could see my Hba1c results before any meetings with medics. Haven’t actually spoken to anyone yet. My follow-up appointment is with a practice nurse and isn’t until 27th December! I get the impression you don’t normally see the GP at my Practice – but as I didn’t take the prescribed Metformin and now want the medication unprescribed – I might be referred to her. Anyway, what with my results and Christmas coming up, I’ve got a big smile on my face.

I hope you enjoy your time on your own over the next few days, and don’t get too bored. Glad you’re back in the midst of things.
    Marie x

• posted by Mariet
    on

MaisieMouse, that’s a real victory, well done you but what a horrifying way to find out how far you have come! Your poor little dog! No wonder she is subdued, I hope she’s back to herself soon. We had a similar experience once, my little 6lb Maltese with his entire head inside an Australian Cattle dog’s mouth. Scary doesn’t cover it. I hope your puppy is herself tomorrow.

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Morning all,

today = +0.1lb.

Starting to notice a creep where new things are finding their way onto my plate. I still thinking I am eating 800cals but totally discounting the odd bits and bobs. Mustn’t get complacent.

• posted by marie123
    on

MaisieMouse – hope your Jack Russell is feeling a bit better today and that she’s soon back to her more lively little self. What a horrible experience for both of you. The fact that there was a total disconnection between your emotions and the food you ate yesterday – that is an impressive place to get to (as is the way you see this woe). I’m not there yet but it’s definitely where I want to be.

Mokovex – I feel the same. The last few days I’ve stopped weighing everything. I’ve snuck in the kitchen to have some extra Fage yoghurt – behind the open fridge door, straight out of the tub, scooping as much as I can onto my spoon and telling myself it’s only a tablespoonful. Then repeating because ‘a couple of spoonfuls won’t hurt’. Old habits for me. Anyway, I’m knocking it on the head right now! I’m not going back down that road. Definitely onwards and downwards.

Appropos of nothing at all – it’s snowing here – our first snow of the winter!.

Marie x

• posted by marie123
    on

Oops, meant to also say welcome Kush – and I really like that idea of eating well being a form of self-respect.
    Marie x

• posted by Marsie
    on

Ouch, MaisieMouse, horrible experience for your little doggie and for you, but what a revelation for you regarding you not needing to eat when under stress. Good place to be.

marie123, you have snow, we’re due for 36°c for the next couple of days. We have our 9yo grandson staying with us this weekend while his parents are away and I just know he will have his boogie board with him … beach here we come. Trouble with walking down on a hot day, by the time we walk home it feels like we should be turning around and walking back for another swim. Lol, circular argument there.

61.7kg this morning, a new low. And, of course, all I could think about today was food. Mostly ok, though. I’m trying to stick to principles rather than weigh and measure. I’ll keep that going until I feel it falling apart, then resume the stricter regime for a while.

Cheers all x

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Kazz,

I think I’ve lost the plot a bit – can’t remember where I asked you about fasting. But I’ve read it, and decided I’m definitely going to give it a go between now and Christmas. I’m going to check my bgls as I go and if I think I’m buggering them up I’ll just stop. Good going with the 40 + hour fasts I’ll be interested to hear your Sat weigh-in results. Careful as you go, mind, eh.

Marie x

• posted by Verano
    on

Marie just wanted to mention to you that when I had my last HbA1c a few weeks ago it had dropped again. My diabetes nurse just casually mentioned fasting, as in ‘it shouldn’t really be that low unless you’ve been fasting’. As if so happens for the previous month or so I’d stopped having breakfast and now just have lunch and dinner so I’m probably doing 14 or 15 hours without food overnight. She actually asked me to see the doctor just in case there was another issue causing my BS to fall. I just didn’t really take it in at the time because I was so delighted that my figure had dropped to 33 or 4.8! So maybe you should be a little careful and as you say monitor your bloods.

• posted by marie123
    on

Marsie – 36c – wow, that sounds hot.

It’s tough when you can’t stop thinking about food, but it’s great that you’re at a new low, though.

Marie x
    By the way, what’s a boogie board?

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Verano,

Thanks, yes, that’s why I’ve been hesitating a bit. I did read about your nurse saying that when you got your last Hba1c results and I’ve heard other people with diabetes (here and elsewhere) say they wouldn’t fast. But then I watch Jason Fung’s videos on diabetes, fasting, removing visceral fat from the pancreas, etc, and what he says seems to make so much sense.

I will start slowly, go carefully and monitor my bgls frequently. I’m not a risk-taker so I will stop if I see a potential problem.

I appreciate the post.

Marie x

• posted by Verano
    on

Marie I think I read somewhere you only need to lose 1g, yes 1g, of fat from the pancreas to make a difference. The fact that your BS had fallen so much suggests your pancreas and liver are already doing a far better job than they were.

I’m not a great fan of extended fasting, as you may have guessed, particularly when the person doesn’t have a great deal of weight to lose. It somehow, and sometimes, feels that people are using fasting rather than a well balanced diet to lose weight. Also we none of us know how low carbing will effect us in the long term. It’s quite possible that we are exchanging one set of problems for another! I sincerely hope not because I do enjoy this way of eating. Sorry if I’m sounding like a doom monger but fasting is one thing I do worry about.

• posted by Kush
    on

Thanks for such a friendly welcome Marie 🙂 I hope today has been great for everyone.

I have noticed that on days when I do better at the eating plan, it seems to be because my focus and intention has been more about getting my health sorted out so I can better look after the people around me more effectively, rather than simply doing this for myself. On those days I’m less likely to fridge-raid (which I’m a bit of a tinker for!) and stay on schedule.

I’ve also set up a ‘Progress’ folder on my iPhone and started keeping daily motivational memes and pictures in. It keeps me focused on the benefits of health and well-being, as I scroll through them over the day and get a little feel-good buzz from them. We’ve gotta be our own cheerleaders, hey!

Halloumi kebabs and salad from the book are for tea tonight, yum, can’t wait. Those recipes are super tasty.

Positive vibes to all x

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi I am joining a bit late, but hope you will have me! I have completed 4 weeks on low carbs and mostly at 800 calories, losing around 5 kilos so far. I would like to lose a further 4 kilos to get to my BMI range – though I suspect this is on the challenging side. Thanks for running this challenge and good luck to everyone.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi there peeps, well hubby has left and I am all alone. Had a good day and only had 600 cals so I have a little leeway in case I slip up later. Dont know what I am going to slip up with as we dont have any snacks in the house just cold meats and veg, not even fruit unless you count my frozen raspberries. I have all my meals planned and will probably not eat as much as I wont be catering for another person so just grill a lamb chop and steam some veg. Tonight I had left over veggie curry and didn’t even bother with cauli rice. I will have a snack later.

Well done Marie123 that is a fantastic result. Keep going, it sounds as though you mind have dodged a bullet and now not be considered diabetic. I dont understand those figures except that is a big difference but I am sure you are within a normal range. Without reading back through all the posts, someone said they dropped down into the 3’s. To that I would say reduce any meds but only little by little and have a small snack like yoghurt and berries or a piece of cold meat just to bring you back up. Before BSD I used to get shaky and sick if I went as low as 4.5 but now low readings dont even register with me, which is a worry, but I do check twice a day just in case.

• posted by Mariet
    on

A new low for me, 62.6kg which is 100g above final target. I must admit I tried every posture I could on the scale to get that final 100g off but oh well. This gives me. BMI of 25.02, so close! Now the weekend looms with guests from out of town tonight and my extended family Christmas get together on Sunday so not much chance of making it this Tuesday. Maybe next week! Well done to all who are sticking with it, it’s great to read so much optimism 💥

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hi, marie, a boogie board is a sort of beginner surf board, shaped like but smaller and light weight, made from foam or plastic. They abound at any local beach in the summer. Grandson loves his, especially when his dad takes him to the beach. We’re second best there, lol 🏄

• posted by Marsie
    on

Welcome to Kush and caroni. Nice to have you here as part of the mix.

• posted by Kush
    on

Morning Good Folks,
    A shock on the scales today – I appear to have put 1lb on overnight. Perhaps I’ve been hammering the cheese a little too much…yesterday I had cottage/spinach combo cheese for breakfast, then feta in the Medi platter for lunch, and halloumi kebabs for tea. Maybe I am turning into a cheese wheel myself 🙂

Also perhaps salt retention? Anchovies on the Medi platter, plus halloumi being a salty cheese….hmmmmm. It appears I have been Miss Nibbles yesterday and now it’s showing.

Anyway, very disappointing to see hard-won progress reverse, and overnight too! Back on the mission today for sure.

A temporary set back hopefully.

Happy Friday all X

• posted by JackieM
    on

Morning all, trying to get to my middle BMI, so not having breakfast until 11am ish, not specifically counting calories but keeping carbs low. Weight this am 61.1kg, so lost 400g (I think, definite loss anyway) since yesterday. Mini target 60kg, then 57kg ultimate end weight. Seems to be dropping off at the moment, after stalling around 62kg for a couple of weeks. Don’t feel like I’m really doing much except keeping on keeping on and ignoring the plateaus and refusing to stress about it, it’s so ingrained now (4 months in).

Other mini goal – greens every day, and more water, else there can be issues at the other end of my body and I want to keep all parts of me healthy not just my pancreas!

on

Hi all, just gone under the next stone so 11 stone 13 3/4lbs. Hope this continues while I am on my own. Obviously I didn’t cheat last night.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi everyone.Im late to join and its because I am completely off plan.eating freely every day and having cravings and hypo feelings.Ive gained 1 kg in less than a week and Ive had a real struggle to get myself motivated.So my goal is to try for a 1kg loss but more important to break my cravings for bread etc and stick to the Bsd principles. Back to daily weight.measure Bgl and weigh my food. Increase exercise. Hopefully focus on the plan and the results will follow.I may post more to keep myself accountable

• posted by topcac
    on

Evening all

I have found it impossible to stick to 800 calories so far this week but, you know what, I’m trying not to stress about it. I’ve eaten low carb and that will have to suffice for now (check me out – being all chilled about it).

I won’t weigh now until Tuesday and will use the weekend to refocus on the 800 part of the plan when I don’t have the stress of work – where it’s impossible to avoid Quality Street, Heroes, Celebrations, Cake, Chocolate etc etc (although I have avoided them, but am eating too many nuts to counteract the feeling of missing out on the other stuff)

Have a good, clean weekend all

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Verano,

Sorry I didn’t realise you posted a second response yesterday. I’ve just read it. No, you don’t sound as if you’re doom-mongering. I can see you have a genuine concern about fasting. I agree with what you say about the importance of a well-balanced diet. My interest in fasting isn’t so much to do with the weight loss – I’ve lost enough now to know I’m going to get to a goal weight (to be decided) fairly early into 2018 – however fast or slow I lose.

Having got my blood sugar under control, I suppose I’ve turned my attention now to getting rid of the visceral fat and Jason Fung’s idea of fasting as a way of giving the pancreas a rest and trying to reduce my insulin response.
    As much as anything I’m doing it out of curiosity – I’m interested to know if it’s effective. I don’t know yet what length of fast I’ll do but as I said if I think it’s affecting me in any way badly (particularly my blood sugars) I’ll be stopping straight away.

But your post has been helpful. It’s made me stop and get very clear in my head exactly why I’m doing it.
    Again, it’s appreciated.

Marie x

on

I’m with Verano on the fasting question. Not because I dont think people should do it but because I am diabetic I would be on the floor within the first evening. Today I have eaten quite light with boiled egg for breakfast, then Spanish chickpea soup for lunch. I have just done my BG reading and I am down to 4.1 which is getting dangerously low and I am going to have dinner in half an hour. Imagine my readings if I hadn’t had any food. I used to be able to fast when I was younger and found it a short term quick fix so if it works for you and you are keeping yourself safe then go ahead.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

I have been doing alternate day fasting this week, with 400-500 cal fast days. I’m not diabetic, so I’ve been coping, but I was feeling quite run down and tired on Wednesday evening, so it wouldn’t surprise my if my blood glucose levels were rather low. I can understand that it could be rather dangerous for someone with diabetes to do this, and especially without medical supervision. I think I had not been eating nearly enough calories on the previous feed days to make up the energy either, so I made a conscious effort to eat closer to 2000 cal on Thursday. It was hard! I couldn’t eat much at one time because I would get full quickly, and then I wasn’t hungry for my next meal either. I’m hoping it will get easier as my body settles into the pattern.
    My main reason for switching to this pattern is that I never intended to do calorie restriction for more than 8 weeks, and although I was losing weight, I wasn’t losing much in the way of inches off my waist and that is the fat I really want gone. I am also hoping that fasting will keep my metabolism from falling off too much so that I can move into maintenance a bit easier, and not immediately put a lot of weight back on. I’ve only lost about 100g so far this week, but I have already lost 1/2 off my waist, so it must be working! I managed to do up my slimmest riding breeches easily this morning and they are not threatening to burst at the seams as they were when I started this journey, and I pulled my belt in a notch.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

articfox, will be interested to see how you assess the alternate day fasting after you have settled into a pattern and given it a chance. I have a lot of weight to lose but am only pre diabetic, so fasting is an option for me in my opinion.

I do think listening to your own body and eating if you are not feeling “solid” makes sense. As they say….its a marathon not a sprint.

Congratulations for fitting into the riding britches….not much wiggle room in those so a great indicator I am sure.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Hi all, well this morning saw me safely back under 11 stone at 10 stone 13.4 so down 7.6 pounds (of mostly water) since Tuesday. I am away from home this weekend so am relaxing a little and will get back to plan on Monday. I still want to push through some more wiggle room before Christmas/new year indulgences start. Great to see some mini-goals being hit already, and everyone keeping on keeping on.

• posted by Marsie
    on

•sunshine-girl, that’s wonderful news, great impetus for further progress 👏👏

•Mixnmatch, happy for you too, that you’re getting back to where you want to be👏👏

•Butterlover, come on back in, it’s such a good a feeling when you’re getting it right. And it doesn’t have to be drastic measures. I know you have family stresses at the moment so “caring gently for ourselves” is the way to go.

•Tues 62kg
    Wed 62.4kg … sigh
    Thurs 61.7kg …new low☺
    Fri. 61.8kg
    Sat. 61.3kg …newer low😊 5’2″, eyes of blue, still overweight BMI … working on it, gently, one day at a time.

• posted by marie123
    on

Marsie – nice loss – must be all that heat!
    It struck me as I’m also 5ft 2in you saying you were still overweight BMI. I use the UK NHS BMI calculator and according to that at 61.3kg you would now be in the healthy weight BMI category. I picked up on it as getting to a healthy BMI is one of my targets – a bit off yet for me. Just goes to show!
    Btw, I wondered if it might be a type of surf board but thought no, that’s just me thinking in stereotypes of Aussie life – so it really is sunshine, sea and surf – sigh! Enjoy your grandson’s visit. 9 is a lovely age.

Sunshine-girl – smashing news to hear you’ve gone into the next stone down – and getting there so early in December gives you a nice bit of time to lose a bit more before you go away for Christmas!

MixnMatch – good for you too, getting back into the 10’s – water or not that must be a good feeling.

I’ve lost a 1lb since Tuesday so I’m now 10st 6lb. I prefer being near the top of a stone or near the bottom – being in the middle is so frustrating. But a day and a lb at a time I guess.

Enjoy the weekend
    Marie x

• posted by Busybee
    on

Yes, well done Marsie and we are still here keeping on keeping on O.D.A.A.T.
    X B

• posted by JackieM
    on

Morning, another 100g down so now 61kg. About t move to mythical 60kg zone with luck.

Weird day yesterday, went to a cooking demo but most of food was not BSD friendly, so couldn’t try it. Got a bit sad, it seems weird to me all these people took it so for granted sugar was included and yet it so isn’t in my life now! Wanted a BSD treat when I got home but nothing matched my mood and I’d run out of cream so no coffee with cream. Disgruntled as a result and so ate quite a lot calorifically in the evening (husband made chicken stew, then I had 4 pieces 90% chocolate, plus some spare roast beef and the children’s left over meat from lasagne AND a couple teaspoons creme fraiche) So hurray for the BSD effect that low carb meant I still lost weight.

• posted by VictoriaM
    on

I’m so happy! I’ve lost 7 lbs this week and my blood sugars have been below 5mmol the whole week. That’s 11lbs total now with the little bit I lost before I started bsd. I know it’s not a week of the challenge yet, but I started bsd last Sunday so I’m counting Sunday to Saturday. I know most of this is water, but I’ve also lost an inch off my waist so I’m hoping some may be visceral fat. I’m not really hungry all the time any more. I’m doing 800 cals and 20 carbs and fasting 17 hours per day. (The second bit is a side benefit as I never want breakfast anyway and dont eat it normally). I’m doing this, because although I was diagnosed T2 3 years ago I largely ingnored it and took my 1metformin until this time when my HBA1C went through the roof. If I’m honest this was due to Mr Cadbury from whom I’ve had a (hopefully) permanent divorce. Now I know that even though I don’t have any symptoms if I don’t take control my retirement won’t be the fun that I planned it to be. Jason Fung says 3lbs a week is achievable so I’ve changed my mind and I’m aiming for that next week. I have two Christmas events this week that could be a challenge. The quiz and ploughman’s I just have to avoid the bread, but cream tea with my ladies group could be impossible to avoid all carbs.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Victoria – that’s fantastic news – I’m so pleased for you.
    Marie x

• posted by Kush
    on

Awww Victoria that’s awesome – the happiest radiates from your post. Bet you feel fabulous. Well done on your success and here’s to more where that came from.

Keep at it

Boing boing boing!
    Kush X

• posted by Butterlover
    on

HI All. Thanks Marsie for your encouragement Feeling better today.Wt 81.3kg .I decided to go back to having breaky. So 2 eggs and spinach.coffee with a friend 1 skinny latte.lunch with my daughter greek salad and water.8000steps around the shops.came home tired and hungry.so abig handful of almonds and green tea. A slice of cheese I will be over 900 by bed time but no white stuff so heading in the right direction.Dinner panfried fish and Salad. Then to stop eating till bedtime.thats the challenge.
    For those of you fasting please keep Bgl above 4 and reduce meds as needed if bgl is too low there are possible mental function problems.good luck

on

Hi everyone, well done Victoria, keep it up.

Well, I really shouldn’t be let out on my own. Hubby is away on business and I decided to drive into the next village to the Saturday market. All went well until I got back to my car and it wouldn’t unlock. It is keyless but you still have to have a key on your person. I took the key out of my bag and used it manually, no joy, it still wouldn’t open. Tried passenger door, tried the boot. Now what do I do, walk the 7kms home and just leave the car. Ring someone, but who and guess who didn’t have a phone on them. Who would I ring anyway. I have a French mobile for emergencies but no numbers logged into it as I have never used it. Hubby rang me on it last night and when I picked it up I didn’t know how to take the call and cut him off. Hey ho, silly me. Just decided to start walking and set off when I heard the whirr of the side mirrors resetting themselves, looked back and the indicators were flashing, the car was open. I could have cried but got home safely. I realised that as I have to carry the car docs there was a number for assistance but still didn’t have a phone. Anyway tout est bien qui finit bien – all’s well that ends well. Next time take my phone.

Blood glucose was 4.7 this morning but I bet my blood pressure went up.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Good afternoon all. I just saw this in a newsletter I get from CookingLite and thought it fit the goals for the Dec challenge so thought i would pass on:

7 Practical Strategies for Healthy Holiday Eating

1. Sip fizzy water in a fancy glass

… or another calorie-free drink. Drink a glass of water in between alcoholic drinks, as well as before and after eating. It will keep you hydrated and if anything, it gives you something to hold, preventing mindless eating and over-drinking. If you need a little flavor, drop a few slices of fruit or cucumbers in your glass. Let the water infuse for a few minutes, and then sip and enjoy.

2. Seek out healthy options.

Whether it’s a sit-down dinner party or a cocktail hour with appetizers, look for healthy options. Assess what foods are there and chose your favorites so that you know where your go-tos are from the beginning.

3. Make a plate.

If possible, make a plate rather than standing over the table of food or appetizers and socializing near the buffet. There is something significant about fixing your plate with your food for the night. This way, you can keep tabs on what you’ve eaten or will eat without having to think about it constantly.

4. Ask for what you want.

For sit-down dinners, don’t be afraid to ask for what you want to eat. If you want to eat a plate that is half vegetables, request more. Don’t feel pressure to finish everything on your plate if you feel that the portion sizes were too large. Your friends and family should respect your goals. Who knows? You may even inspire them to rethink their plate, too.

5. Offer to bring a dish.

If it’s a party where it’s appropriate, offer to bring a dish. That way you know that there will be something there for you to snack on. You will be prepared and worry-free, and the host will appreciate the gesture.

6. Be mindful.

If you really focus on what you’re eating, you will enjoy it for its taste and texture. It may seem trivial, but mindful eating is a growing practice that is especially useful this time of year. Chose your favorite foods, fix a serving, and enjoy them! Studies have shown that people are less likely to overeat if they are mindful of their food when they are eating.

7. Don’t withhold your favorites.

Sometimes, chocolate and champagne call. And that’s okay. It’s the holidays! Eat your favorites; just do it in moderation. Always remember that enjoying your thing (we all have one) doesn’t mean that you gave in and should throw in the towel on your nutrition goals. Withholding dessert, or food in general, can lead to over-eating later or negative eating patterns.

Just knowing that a party doesn’t have to ruin your clean-eating streak might change your party habits. Don’t assume that being healthy doesn’t include holiday foods. Aim for balanced, mindful eating, and choose to do small things for an overall big difference in the way you eat.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

It’s almost like they’ve been reading our forum isn’t it 😉😁

• posted by arcticfox
    on

After yesterday’s fast day, I was down to 81.8kg today, so I made my goal from the last challenge in the first week of this challenge! I’m only weighing myself after fast days at the moment though because I know I creep up a bit after the feed days, which can be a bit disheartening. I had my first proper ride on my horse today and even though I’m still sitting at just over 16% of his body weight, when I should be under 15%, he seemed to cope fine (kept it short all the same). He has settled in and has started to put on a bit of weight, and as he gains weight and I continue to lose, the ratio will certainly improve.
    Luvtcook – I managed the fast day much better and with much more energy after eating more on Thursday. I thought I might not lose very much as a result, but the opposite seems to have happened – 900g down since Tuesday! Thanks for the Christmas party tips. I have one coming up on Thursday, so this will certainly help. It is meant to be a fast day for me, so I think I will try to fast for most of the day and try to measure by eye about 500cal worth of food at the party.
    Victoria – well done with your weight loss and blood sugar this week!

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Thanks for the holiday tips post Luvtocook – very timely.
    Victoria – congratulations on your excellent results!
    I would just enjoy your cream tea with your ladies group – you may not be able to avoid carbs, but you can limit them by choosing a limited amount of food. I occasionally have a scone, jam & cream for morning tea when out with my mother in law – she always has cake, and I feel like a scone is a healthier option – I just have a scraping of jam and pile on the cream lol! I find one scone is really filling nowadays and I can have in place of a meal, so it’s not too damaging. And yes the Ploughmans is BSD friendly if you skip the bread.
    I had lunch out with the family yesterday and had some vegetarian pizza, really enjoyed it. Again not exactly BSD food but life is for living and it’s all about balance in my book. If 90% of the time I’m sticking to BSD principles then I’m happy with that 🙂
    One thing I’ve found though is that when I do eat “off plan” I’ll often have a gain – sometimes up to 2 or 3kg (4-6lb), depending on how long the off plan eating has gone on for. Don’t be alarmed if this happens to you – it’s most likely water weight (carbs hold on to water) and the gain is only temporary. A few days back on plan and the weight is gone again.

• posted by Sandy47
    on

Well done everyone and thanks for the tips, really helpful. Only lost 1 pound this week and after my work Christmas party last night, was so disappointed to have put it back on this morning. I need to stop weighing myself every day, but just can’t help myself. Was really careful with my carb intake, and gave away my roast potatoes and Yorkshire pudding much to the delight of my colleague sitting next to me! However, did have a few cocktails and some prosecco so I’m thinking it was the alcohol. December is going to be so hard! Maybe instead of setting my weight loss goal of 5lb, I’m going to just try and stick to the plan as best I can to minimise the damage of social events planned. Then keep on keeping on with everyone…x

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I hope this isn’t too much of a monster downer, but while most of that list is solid advice I fully agree with, I think tip # 7 is terrible and it’s shocking to me how often I have heard some variant of that. Every sentence illustrates a profound pathology that associates various foods we know to be unhealthy, sometimes dangerous, even literal poisons (ethanol) with enjoyment and celebration. Chocolate and champagne don’t “call.” To even phrase it that way suggests that we are helpless bodies trapped in the gravitational pull of a giant sun. As if we are passive objects and the FOOD the subject. That’s not okay. That’s messed up. That’s disordered eating right there.

“It’s the holidays” is supposed to mean what, exactly? Free license to eat things you just spent weeks, months, a year working like a coal miner to excavate from your life? Is that celebration? Because to me it sounds like walking up to a cop, kicking him in the groin and holding your wrists out for his partner to slap the cuffs on you. That’s not going to end well. In the worst case scenario (and it’s a very likely one), it can trigger a long and painful reversal of fortune. How many people here have posted or read glum, remorseful stories of how someone thought “just one bite won’t hurt” only to wake up a month later in a fog of self-loathing 10 or 20 pounds heavier than they were before?

“Don’t withhold your favorites” presumes that our favorites remain fixed and immutable from infancy to senescence. Here’s another solution: get new favorites. Many of us have had that happen anyway because the BSD is amazingly effective at revitalizing taste buds and gut biomes debilitated by years of sugar abuse. Yes we all have things we enjoy over the course of the years, but this notion that we have to be kids on Halloween for the rest of our lives because eating a dozen (okay at least two dozen, in my case) mini-Twix bars “is our thing” is absurd. I take enjoyment in many different types of foods, not just one, and I take even more enjoyment in the fact that I’m not still stuck in a decades-long rut of romanticizing food that I now realize truly harms me because I thought it was extra-super keen when I was 8.

As for moderation, if sugar and alcohol didn’t trigger violent cravings and risk-taking behavior, nobody would ever have to do the BSD in the first place. That may be the most pernicious cliche of all of the ones in tip #7, this idea that moderation is just hopping back on the wagon after you’ve jumped off to have a run around the field mindfully stomping only two modest cow patties instead of the 20 big ones you used to stomp. Sometimes the cow patties fight back and you wind up flat in your back, caked in manure. Carbs do that to you too, only it’s worst because they do it from the inside.

Witholding dessert AND food in general, for that matter, has lead to nothing but success beyond my wildest imagings and a new understanding of my body and mind so profound, that I am at peace with myself and happier than I thought I was capable of being. What could pie possibly offer me that is greater than that? What cocktail is worth throwing that all away?

Not. One. Step. Backwards.

• posted by Flick
    on

I’m with you Ensecca Tip #7 is appalling and could be more usefully replaced with –

#7 Say no – feel free to wave that circulating plate of reheated party pies or mini quiches away with a polite ‘no thank you”. No one cares what you are eating or drinking. (maybe once your weight loss of visible there will be the odd saboteur but you certainly don’t want to to let them win). At the heart of it, party is about getting together, catching with friends, meeting new people, taking a break from the children even. There is no rule that says to enjoy a party or a meal out with family and friends you must eat and drink things that threaten your health. This kind of thinking is how we all got into this terrible mess in the first place. NB. it might help not to arrive at functions already hungry, especially if you are uncertain there will be healthy choices available for you or eat something healthy and delicious when you get home. It might also help to stand with, sit next to, some slender people, although bare in mind they may be fasting the next day.

I don’t have a superhuman level of self discipline, I wouldn’t be bordering on obese with a waist to hip ratio of a whopping .82 if I did. Nevertheless I’m going to give this 8 weeks a red hot go. I can’t bear the idea of knowingly, mindfully agreeing to one skerrick of this weight I’m working so hard to lose to return. And I know myself, one exception here, one exception there (Christmas, Easter, wedding, birthday, reunion) and I’ll been the slippery slope to giving up and consoling myself that at least I’m not T2D, yet. I’ve read many posts from the successful BSD maintainers and they consistently say how much their tastes and food pleasures have changed. I want to give myself, my body, enough clear space to find out what mine might be. If I keep exceptioning into my existing tastes, how will I ever know? And if I don’t know, then the future looks like one of long term mourning for the foods I can no longer have in the quantities I was recently consuming AND stay healthy into old age.

As for alcohol, I’m also taking a hard line, tee total for the duration. Alternating with a glass of water just sounds like sensible drinking to me – certainly not a weight loss or hold steady strategy. Just about end of week three and this is the longest I’ve gone without a glass of wine, since my two pregnancies roughly 30 years ago! For me it’s entirely about not giving ground. I understand it is not the carbs or the calories in alcohol (although you should pay attention to these as well if you do drink occasionally and are still trying to lose weight or get your BG down) the unmeasured damage is what your liver does with everything else you are eating and drinking while it is fully occupied with dealing with alcohol – it recognises as a toxin so must give priority to. It is not just water weight – it is also calories turned to glucose turned to fat. No thank you. But oh, roll on maintenance!

So that’s what I think. Brave words and I hope they don’t come back to haunt me. But if they do I hope like hell I’ve got the courage and fortitude and good sense of those people who are so bravely climbing back into the saddle and losing weight again. Big warm hugs and hats off to you – I’m just not convinced will have it in me.

Please log in or register to post a reply.