Bsd vs atkins

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Mikeaschofield
    on

Hi, I’ve just ordered the blood sugar diet book so don’t really know the whole idea but it looks a bit like atkins to me. Can someone explain the difference please?

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Hello Mikeaschofield,
    I’m not really sure as I have never tried the Atkins. I used to think it was just cabbage soup but I understand it’s quite different now.
    Someone could probably help better but I suppose the main difference is calories. 800 a day for eight weeks, unless you are doing the 5:2. It helps our bodies to adjust to not needing so much food and I think my desire to binge is already seriously curbed.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi Mike

There are lots of variants of low carb/high fat diets, Atkins amongst them.

What Michael has done with BSD, I think, is to make it all as simple as possible – and as workable as possible for many people.

He’s accumulated evidence that a relatively short period of calorie restriction (800 cals pd over 8 weeks), together with complete abstention of refined carbs, can produce a) significant weight loss and b) lowering and balancing of blood sugar.

So it’s a plan to get you first of all some really encouraging weight losses, which are important if you have a lot to lose, and also a plan of eating which will leave you on reduced calories but not feeling hungry (or at least after the first few days when the carb withdrawal can have effects, especially if you ate a lot of them before).

I am 7 weeks in, not type 2 but slightly overweight and also mildly carb addicted. OH is Type 2 and would love to get off metformin.

Being the sort of people we are, we have also looked at lots of other books/articles/evidence. Our experience is that coming off refined carbs (in our case bread is the major one which has vanished from our diet) has left us feeling bright and lively and removed some ‘fog’ which we weren’t even aware of. I feel in control of my eating, and we have both really really enjoyed the taste of food, and generally speaking not felt hungry.

There are other things you can do, other books give you more guidance, but the BSD is a very good and simple start.

Following my research, I intend to continue a lifestyle change to remove refined carbs (already given up sugar in tea/coffee – used to be a 2 tsp person) except in exceptional circumstances (e.g. roast potatoes at Christmas, very occasional slice of good bread if I find any). I shall also control the balance of nutrients in terms of (good) carbs, fat and protein, and am very confident I shall continue to feel much fitter.

But read the book when you get it, and see what you think. I recommend it thoroughly! 🙂

• posted by Timmy
    on

I always thought that Atkins was more about eating loads of meat. You can eat meat on this, but in reality it’s mainly about cutting out refined and starchy carbs.

• posted by Frog
    on

I did try Atkins very briefly many years ago, whenever it first became trendy – that was probably in the 90’s, when I didn’t eat meat, so probably wasn’t an ideal choice!
    It may have only been an intro phase, but I found the restrictions on veg a bit unworkable, and to be honest, not particularly healthy.

What I like about BSD is that (aside from refined carbs, which don’t seem to have many benefits) no major food groups are restricted, so it is providing you the structure of a basic way of eating when the initial 8 weeks, or however long it takes to get to your initial targets, you can modify and continue that going forward.

Please log in or register to post a reply.