BSD mark 2 – Veggie needs help

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by JoBloggs
    on

Hi everyone. This is my 2nd attempt at the BSD. I’m prevaricating between the 800 and the 5:2. My problem last time I tried this was adapting the diet to a vegetarian one. It became very restrictive and I got sick of eating eggs! Is it ok to eat pulses? I don’t have T2 diabetes, I just want to lose weight!

• posted by Snoop
    on

I’m not diabetic either. I’m keeping off the usual starchy suspects but still eating legumes. I’m not a vegetarian but need the fibre they give. I reckon if you’re not a diabetic, stick to a restricted calorie regime (are you doing the fast 800?) and don’t go overboard on legumes, then you should be OK. You might not lose weight as fast as some people on this diet (I don’t), but you will still lose it pretty quickly. Try not to eat too much fruit though.

Good luck.

• posted by JoBloggs
    on

Thanks Snoop. I’m just going the low carb route with inspiration from the 800. I suspect there will be days when I exceed the 800 calories, to be followed by a day on the 500 to catch up. I can never stick to anything rigid, but I was missing lentils and chickpeas etc as they seemed to be banned in the original tv programme and the book. I shall take on board the principles, but go slowly.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Good stuff! There are other vegetarians doing this diet. I’m surprised no-one else has answered. Lots of good support on here, so ask away if you have any other questions. If you keep an eye out in the various threads, you might come across a bunch of people starting about the same time as you. If not, you could always start a thread and gather a group of buddies around you if that’s your thing. So’s you know, Verano is starting another thread on a four-week challenge starting 27 December. Lots of people on that have been doing the BSD for a while, but everyone is very welcoming to newcomers. So feel free to join that if you want. Always good to be able to draw on other people’s experience or support.

Good luck.

• posted by nomoresugarhighs
    on

How do you feel about cheese? I have been having many veggie days since I started (I was a vegetarian for 20 years before). I go cheese/eggs/legumes/nuts in rotation on those days.

• posted by JuFF40
    on

I am starting Jan 2nd and am veggie too, did you find out any good ideas?

• posted by 63Dragon
    on

I am not diabetic just too damn fat. As for Lentils I find black beans are a good choice now and then. Soaking and discarding the water has 2 advantages by reducing the carbohydrates yet maintaining the same level of resistant starches. Plus once the BSD has completed the beans are a great part of the Med diet to kick on with.
    Hope it helps. Andrew

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I used black soybeans as a replacement for beans in soups, hummus, salads, chili, etc. because they’re so high in fiber their net carb count is extremely low. They taste like nothing at all, which makes them very versatile because they suck up the flavor of whatever you put them in. They’re hard to find dry (I get them online), but the canned beans are widely available in health food stores and my local farmers market, at least in the US.

• posted by Jande9
    on

Greek style yogurt and Skyr have a lot more protein compared to regular yogurt and are also low fat. I find them very satisfying. They do have some milk sugar though.

• posted by 63Dragon
    on

Nice to hear you use black beans Esnecca, in Australia I find the Asian grocers stock dried beans “USA Black Turtle Bean” product of USA for $3 kilo. If I need to use canned varieties I drain them with boiled water to remove all starches.

• posted by jenhen
    on

I’m a veggie too and did the 800 cal boot camp. I successfully lost 14 kg. I had LSA for breakfast. I cooked it with almond milk and ate it with Greek yoghurt. This is a good protein source. I used cottage cheese, eggs, or hummus as my go to for lunch or a salad with protein from, eggs, cheese or beans/pulses. Evening meals I used a protein source from beans/pulses, eggs, nuts, veggies or haloumi cheese. Tofu is another possibility. I can’t each too much as I have a thyroid condition. If you google buddha bowls as they are compatible with the diet o search Pinterest. My snack food was dry roasted almonds. The BSD book has good ideas or if you search the Daily Mail most recipes are printed there.

• posted by BSD
    on

Hi, I started Feb last year on the BSD and have maintained my 3 stone loss and reversed my diabetes. Its now just a way of life and actually can’t stand some of the foods I used to like e.g milk chocolate. I used Celia Brooks 5:2 Vegetarian diet cook book to help expand my recipe choices and have used some o the Paleo recipes but you need to work out the calories is the only down side. I use Skyr yoghurt, tofu, quorn (occasionally).

Please log in or register to post a reply.