Brown rice V normal rice

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by luism
    on

Hi All,
    Second week of the BSD diet, all going well I am averaging 100g of carbs a day but finding the accurate calories counting hard. We are not use to weighing everything so I am probably over estimating the amount I am having. I am finding it OK except for the weekends.I miss my sugar in the coffee badly, so much so that I am drinking much less of it, which possibly is not a bad thing. I don’t want to have artificial sweeteners, so when I get pass the 8 weeks and get on to “normal” diet will need an alternative to sugar for the coffee will honey be ok? Anyway I bought some brown rice and my wife was just comparing the carbs and sugar labels with the ones of the normal white rice and they are pretty much the same. That got me a bit confused… Is it just that, because brown rice takes longer to be processed, is better for you or did we get the wrong type of rice?
    Thank you.
    Best Regards
    Luis

• posted by Hopeful
    on

Hi Luis,

I think the Brown rice has more Fibre, have you tried Quinoa rice, very tasty and really low in carbs.

Hopeful

• posted by luism
    on

Hi Hopeful,
    I am also cooking quinoa, but I prefer rice so the brown rice was ideal as it is on the low GI range.
    Thank you.
    Luis

• posted by Fredforest
    on

I stopped having white rice some time back, I have been eating a brown and wild rice mix. Having said that Tilda do a wild rice but it is not cheap, which is why it has been a treat up to now, it is high fibre and supposedly has a low glycemic index so now I am following the diet have it where it is a rice option.

It freezes very well and as my wife doesn’t eat rice at all it lasts (or at 2 tbsps. a meal will last) for a long time.
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that it is not actually rice but a grass but whatever it’s origin it is has a lovely taste. After starting that sentence I googled and it is indeed a grass.

I put up with quinoa, but in truth would rather eat cardboard with lots of chilli sauce.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Luis
    Brown rice doesn’t spike your blood sugar because it takes longer to digest even though it’s the same calories as white rice. Re honey- it spikes your blood sugar. It may be after 8 weeks you won’t want sugar in your coffee!
    Penny

• posted by Lisa
    on

I am still giggling about eating cardboard with chilli ๐Ÿ™‚ I have only tried the wild rice mix that was mentioned in this thread. Is the “solo” product easy to get right when cooking, only it seems really hard when I have tried the mix so I obviously have not cooked it correctly? Thanks.
    Ps I too always used brown rice, and was quite disappointed to find it does not have a great GI score..

• posted by Lisa
    on

I am still giggling about eating cardboard with chilli ๐Ÿ™‚ I have only tried the wild rice mix that was mentioned in this thread. Is the “solo” product easy to get right when cooking, only it seems really hard when I have tried the mix so I obviously have not cooked it correctly? Thanks.
    Ps I too always used brown rice, and was quite disappointed to find it does not have a great GI score. Penny, does that mean a mix of brown and wild is still ok then?
    I agree about the honey. After 8 weeks I bet you would not like sweet coffee! ๐Ÿ™‚
    Apologies as I seem to have posted twice, but I cannot delete the duplicate on my phone, sorry!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Lisa
    Having just looked at a few GI sites, it seems long white, brown and basmati are all about 55. But of course brown rice has other nutrients. It’s important not to have a lot. Wild rice is listed as very high at 87, short grain white high at 72.
    Penny

• posted by Fredforest
    on

You really have to look at the glycemic load (GL) of a food. The GL for both Brown and Wild Rice is 16 which is reasonably low, whereas the GL of white rice is 43. This is based on 150g portions for the brown & white, 164g for the wild rice (equates to a cup apparently). Given that we are talking about 2 tablespoons that is not going to matter too much.

It needs cooking for about 45 minutes until the grain pops. It can be hastened by soaking overnight.

Still nicer than brown and better than quinoa or cardboard.

• posted by Lisa
    on

Thanks! I shall buy some wild to try ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Natalie
    on

100 grams of carbs seems quite high for this diet, I am averaging around 55 per day. Anything like rice is “just for a taste” as the book says so you can’t have much.

I’m still struggling with giving up sugar in my tea! I only have 3 grams (2/3 teaspoon) anyway, but if I give it up I’d just rather not drink tea at all. I’m varying between having my sugar, having half the usual amount, or none, depending on the day. Maybe I’ll get there by the end of the 8 weeks!

• posted by Lisa
    on

Natalie, it sounds harder varying having the sugar some days and not others as you keep having a reminder of the full “taste satisfaction”? Perhaps you could try just reducing the amount by an eigth for a couple of days, then by a quarter etc so that you have a bit of time to get used to it, and it becomes less noticeable gradually?
    I remember taking 3 sugars as child ( I think I was copying my Dad ๐Ÿ™‚ ) but I only drank one cup a day. I don’t take sugar now ( although I have an incredibly sweet tooth!) Strangely, I have no recollection of giving it up!! I think I was in my teens, but apart from that, I don’t remember actively doing so.

• posted by David Knight
    on

Many years ago I changed from having sugar in my tea and coffee to artificial sweeteners. I probably had those for 2 or 3 years and then gave them up as well. Although it is not easy it is possible to re-educate our palates.

• posted by Robbie
    on

Hi Luis
    I used to have sugar in drinks but went cold turkey years ago. I remember it being horrible for about 2 weeks, but after that I gradually got used to it. Now I can’t bear the taste of sugar in tea or coffee. Keep going and it will eventually feel “normal” sugar free-and just as nice.
    I’ve gone over to cauliflower rice all the time and I’m struggling a bit with that. Not too bad but it’s still got the cauli taste which is OK but not always.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Thanks Lisa, I think you’re right that I was just making it harder. I fully committed to no sugar yesterday. I wouldn’t bother to drink unsweetened tea at all but it seems like a bad time to go through caffeine withdrawal.

• posted by gateofheaven
    on

Quinoa varies considerably in taste depending upon the brand. The earlier versions of it were more bitter. Perhaps look for a “non-bitter” label?

• posted by pmshrink
    on

I think if you soak quinoa the bitter coating comes off. Obviously then change the water before cooking!
    Penny

• posted by Fredforest
    on

I overdose the Cauli rice with spice of the main dish and it becomes okay.

Please log in or register to post a reply.