Breakfast Help

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by NicoleDeCaux
    on

Is original weetabix ok to eat for breakfast?

• posted by Esnecca
    on

No. It’s made of wheat, hence the name, and sugar.

• posted by NicoleDeCaux
    on

Ok thanks. I’ve been told to look at the Carbohydrates of which sugars, and anything higher than 1.8 isn’t good. Weetabix is only 1.2 per 2 slices so I’m getting rather confused. Just trying to find a starting point

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Nicole – before I answer any questions regarding the diet I look at 2 things. Firstly, the profile of the person or what they have already revealed to see if they have any health issues. Secondly, look at which ‘space’ you are posting in of which there are several variations from full BSD in the Fast 800 section, Starting BSD (where you have posted) down to 5;2 and Med diets. As you are posting in Starting BSD you are possibly not doing the full Fast 800 but maybe you are considering it. One premise of the BSD is that we almost completely cut out starchy carbs and cereals fall into that category. Dont be fooled by the ‘healthy’ labels many of them use. The only cereal we have, and only occasionally, is oats. Before I / we advise you more let us know about yourself (yes we are very nosy) and what you want from the diet and which one you want to follow.

Good luck

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi there are 26g of carbs in two weetabix. You can find the nutritional data for most foods by googling item + nutritional data. If you have T2 diabetes then you need to be eating less than 50g of carbs a day. Most people here try to stay around 30g but for some they have to drop to 20g or even lower.

• posted by NicoleDeCaux
    on

Hello. I am looking at starting the blood sugar diet. I have no known diabetes or health problems. Just looking to lose weight, and have been told by various people that this is brilliant. I know it is only 8 weeks and then you change to a different diet that isn’t as strict. I am new to this so I am looking for quick, simple recipes for B L and D and any in between snacks. I have 3 children under 5 so I don’t have a lot of time to prepare meals that are ‘fancy’ as such. Especially as in my family, it will only be me on this diet so I’ll be cooking normal dinners for my partner and the children. Hope this helps as to what I’m looking for.

• posted by NicoleDeCaux
    on

Hi thank you. Ive not got any known diabetes, but actually thought weetabix was a healthy option but I suppose it depends what diet I am following

• posted by Verano
    on

Have you read the Blood Sugar Diet book? This way of eating is completely different from any other. This is not a low fat diet but a low carb healthy fat diet. The name as it suggests is based on 800 calories and less than 50g of carbs, although that figure isn’t given in the book. Basically, you stop eating simple carbs, potatoes, bread, pasta, rice and biscuits cakes crisps etc. So you can use your usual meals but substitute cauliflower for potatoes. As I said above you. Can find the nutritional data for most foods online. You could use an app or PC program such as Fatsecret.co.uk or .com if you are not in the UK. Or similarly myfitnesspal. You weight all you eat and pop it into the app and it will count for you. Having three children under five won’t make it easy for you but it is possible. Best of luck!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello, Nicole, and welcome to the forums. There is an entire community of very successful
    maintainers here, and we’d be very pleased to help you get started. You’ve got quite a handful
    with 3 children under 5! We can better advise you if we know your weight loss goals…Have you read
    the book?

Best of luck to you, this diet is indeed BRILLIANT!

Allie

• posted by NicoleDeCaux
    on

I am currently in the process of reading the book.
    I have downloaded the my fitness pal app so hopefully that helps out a bit. Thanks

• posted by NicoleDeCaux
    on

I am currently in the process of reading the book. I am age 23 and am now a size 16 after having my 3rd child. I am looking to get back to a size 12 and healthy. I have gained weight as I find myself snacking when I can, in between sorting the kids out. And sometimes, we get take away in the evening because we either haven’t done our dinner or haven’t had time, with sorting work out in the evenings too. I am determined to lose the weight but just need a rough guide to start. If I can have a few simple and easy recipes for about 3 days for B L & D then I can get started and can then plan out for the next days once I know roughly what I’m doing. When I’ve got the hang of it, I can then experiment and see what I enjoy. Thank you

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Nicole,

I can understand your confusion on carbs and sugar levels. Only the other week I spent a little bit of time in the supermarket looking at the packets of things I used to eat before starting on this Way of Eating (WoE) and trying to work out what my average carb intake would have been per day.

Its the carbs that we count on this WoE, not the sugars.

In the UK food manufacturers are allowed to show on the front of the packet the ‘traffic light’ figures for fat and sugar and cals and protein, but if you look at the back of the package they are required to show both the carbs and the sugars. So things which I used to eat because according to the large brightly coloured information on the front of the packet fell into the healthy low sugar category were actually high in carbs when you read the small print at the back of the packet and were the reason why I was so overweight.

I have found using the fat secret app on my phone very helpful. I can enter the food stuff and it gives me the figures of carbs

• posted by NicoleDeCaux
    on

I see. So what diet is it you are following as I know there are several? I am looking at starting the 8 week blood sugar diet

• posted by NicoleDeCaux
    on

If I am to go shopping, which part am I looking at and what sort of figures for each is ok on this diet?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi again Nicole, so you want to do the Fast800 for the 8 weeks. It is a brilliant diet but takes quite a bit of organising, thinking and planning. There is no need to eat different from hubby and the kids (depends on what the kids will eat) but very young are usually on separate foods anyway i.e. fish fingers and beans or burgers and chips. There are lots of simple recipes that can feed all of you like spag bol, stews, chicken casseroles etc. You just have to have them without the spuds or pasta or rice.

The easiest way to shop is not to buy anything in a packet if you can help it and ready made or processed foods are out completely. As mentioned there are no good cereals – I have just looked up shredded wheat which I thought was maybe the best option and that has even more carbs than Weetabix at 31gm per 2 biscuits. Lots of fresh veg should fill your basket and go careful with fruit, think berries (I buy frozen all year round) and an occasional apple, kiwi or passionfruit go nice on yoghurt. If you are sticking to 800 calories you will not have any wriggle room to put in carbs. Why dont you pick out some meal ideas from the menu planner at the back of the book.

Okay lets look at some suggestions for a day – Breakfast – grilled mushrooms (3 or 4 medium sized) with a poached egg (or boiled) – 80 calories- Lunch – Ploughmans (ham, half an apple, stick of celery, 50g of cheese and a few walnuts with some non-sweet pickle) – 290 calories Dinner – cottage pie (lean mince, onion, red pepper, mushroom, canned tomatoes, marmite or other) top your half with mashed cauliflower and hubbys with mashed potaoto – 310 calories – total for day 680 – giving you 120 calories for a small snack if you feel peckish or deprived. Watch your portion sizes e.g. cottage pie mince should be around 100g for you -obviously allow more for hubby. You might also use so of that 120 cals for milk in tea or coffee.

I’ll give someone else a chance to give you more plans but would also suggest you look on the resources thread where you can find places to look at recipes – thedietdoctor is a good place.

• posted by NicoleDeCaux
    on

Thank you very much. I will take all that on board and do some planning of meals etc. I know it will be hard but I’ve heard a lot about it being a brilliant diet and a lot of success stories. Hopefully I’m one of them!

• posted by alliecat
    on

As usual, Nicole, the community has already been out in force to give you some great suggestions!
    If you have extra help on the weekends, you might consider doing some batch cooking, also, for
    the coming week. I used to do that routinely when I had a career, and we all known that child care
    is even more demanding 🙂 Shout out if you need any help!

Allie

• posted by JackieM
    on

Nicole – as JGwen says, ignore the front of packets, turn it over and look for the grid or line of words that has the amount per serving or the amount per 100g. You are aiming for 800calories a day and 50g or even less of carbs. So you have to weigh everything and then put the weight in MyFitness pal and it will tell you how many carbs and calories you’ve used for the day.

As a rule of thumb no rice, breakfast cereal, pastry, cake, bread or any item with those in it. Milk lots of carbs. Root veg lots of carbs. Fruit (except berries) lots of carbs.

You’ll have to work out portion sizes and calories yourself but here’s some easy eating

Easiest breakfast – an egg. Fried, scrambled, poached doesn’t matter. I add spinach to mine.

Or 100g full fat Greek yoghurt, 10g flaked almonds.

Lunch: any sandwich filling without the bread, wrapped in lettuce or in ham. Or Measured amount of cheese grated on green veg.

Dinner: roast chicken thighs or salmon with veg.

Yes, I do hate cooking! I am very much an eat it raw/microwave or stick it in oven person. Good luck with it

Please log in or register to post a reply.