Bookclub

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Izzy
    on

Anyone up for a BSD book club? I don’t mean we all have to read the same book, but we can post here what we are reading regardless of fact/fiction/food related/mindfulness etc and share what we love and what we don’t, recommending or not for each other.

I use audio books as well as read and having failed at reading Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert ages ago I discovered I really enjoyed the audiobook. I’m now listening to Mindfulness for the Frazzled by Ruby Wax and have been enjoying this, it is part story and info telling and part 6 week mindfulness course, so I will go through the sections and try the suggestions.

I’ve just finished reading The Ocean At The End of The Lane by Neil Gaimen – which I’d say is aimed at younger people but I enjoyed it- he weaves a wonderful magical world. I’m now reading Harry Potter and The Cursed Child 🙂

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Yes i love the idea Izzy..i ‘d join yr book club .. I used to read a lot but i find it more difficult to concentrate for long these days..however i wd enjoy hearing what other folk are reading and making some suggestions of my own
    i also enjoy audio books,lovely to fall asleep to. X!

• posted by weescotty
    on

I’m in. I have regained my passion for reading for fun now I’m retired. Just didn’t have the energy when working. As a child I would need to be forcibly prized from a book to sit at the meal table. As a real treat if mum was waiting to eat later with dad I could take my book to the table. I worked most of my working life in libraries/archives and wistfully saw many an appealing book pass my nose as I checked them out. I have to use eBooks now as because of my job I have developed an allergy to the cheap paper which turns brown within about a week of publication! I have some study books and quality coffee table ones that I can hold as they use glossy good paper. Just now I have come very late to the book ‘Curious Incident of the dog in the night-time’ Mark Haddon. I borrowed it as an ebook from the library for free, a three weeks loan, can be renewed but I think I won’t need to. Totally riveting and glad to hear it is read widely at high school level in UK. So well written which is refreshing change from some popular authors. I tried to sign up to the e-audiobook service but somehow the login bit never worked in spite of trying the helpline 🙁 they couldn’t even delete my membership for me to start again.
    Yowzer49 I too tend to nod off listening so maybe not while driving!
    One of my favourites when in cassette form Izzy was Crowdie & Cream by Finlay J MacDonald – know it? He reads it himself in his gorgeous Hebridean accent. Don’t know if it is still available.

• posted by Camis
    on

Great idea! I read a lot but most tends to be children’s books as I am a teacher and like to be able to recommend new books to my class! I am a big fan of Neil Gaiman – haven’t read ‘Ocean’ yet but have read lots of his other books. Neverwhere is fab! I’m currently reading I’ll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson – not an author I had heard of but it was recommended by a friend and I’m enjoying it so far. Currently creating a pile of books to take away with me on holiday next week. I need a minimum of one per day! Before anyone says I need a Kindle – yes, it would take up less weight and space in the luggage but I just can’t get on with them and I have so many physical books in the house anyway, I need to read them at some point.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

The best book I have ever read was The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriaty. Thought it was going to be silly woman type book (chick lit) but it was a very enthralling thriller with such a twist at the end.

I love Kathy Reichs, Nikki French and Tess Gerritson (not so keen on Patricia Cornwell) but I have run out of good books in that vein as I have read ALL KR, NK and TG books. Any ideas would be gratefully received.

• posted by Izzy
    on

Camis I love Neverwhere! He has such a talent I think.

I’ve not heard of those other books I will need to look them up.

One of my favourites I read in the past was The Book Thief, I’m not normally one to enjoy books with war involved but a friend recommended it and I loved it. I’ve read it 3 times – didn’t think much of the movie though.

• posted by BabsG
    on

I have a Kindle but I also read paper books. At the moment on my Kindle I am reading The Island by Victoria Hyslop which was recommended to me by my sister in law after we failed to visit Spinalonga (where it was set) when we docked in Crete on a short cruise. It was a case of “How can you not go to Spinalonga?” And “You have to read the book by Victoria Hyslop”. So I am fulfilling one of her instructions😉. In book form I am reading The Road to Little Dribbling by Bill Bryson. It’s the follow up to Notes from a Small Island which he wrote 20 years ago and is a little light reading as an antidote to the book about the Leper Colony on Spinalonga

Sunshine-girl have you read the Shetland series by Ann Cleeves? The first book is called Raven Black. Also if you haven’t read them yet the Roy Grace books by Peter James, you really should.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Some good recommendations here! Thanks guys.
    I recommend Barbara Kingsolver, Margaret Attwood,Anne Tyler and Elizabeth Berg for good contemporary fiction with great character development.
    On audio i wd suggest trying anything with Penelope Wilton narrating – i listened to the whole Cazalet saga,which i didnt expect to enjoy,but i did,PW has a very soothing voice…maybe not in the car WEESCOTTY!
    I was thinking of childhood after Scotty mentioned what an avid reader she was …me too…they gave me a job as a kid stamping books in the library coz i was in there so much!
    What are peoples favourite childrens books? Mine was Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfiled. Loved all Enid Blytons,they were magic!
    As a mum the best book i read with my daughter was Nosy Shirley Rat ! Very funny but have forgotten the author.xx

on

Thanks Babs, I’ll check them out on Amazon

on

Babs, Just bought a Peter James book on Amazon, only 0.49p for Kindle edition. Lets see how it goes, called Dead Simple.

• posted by weescotty
    on

Yowzer, I too loved Noel Streatfeild’s they were dramatised on BBC children’s Hour. Great dark winter evening listening before tea. I liked anything ‘other-worldly’ so C.S. Lewis, Alan Garner (Weirdstone of Brisingamen ) Madeleine L’Engle, Ursula le Guin. But do think having tried to re-read a few in adulthood it is better to leave them as memories ( C.S. Lewis survived but the others didn’t ) just don’t read about the ‘scrumptious feasts’ they all seemed to partake of now and then if you are feeling a bit hollow ……

• posted by BabsG
    on

Pleased to hear you found a bargain. All the Roy Grace series have the word “Dead” in the title. I have read all of them except the latest one which I am waiting to reduce in price.

• posted by Camis
    on

Enid Blyton was my childhood staple – I must have read and re-read her books dozens of times.

Weescotty – I recently read A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle as I was thinking of using it in class for science fiction. I quite enjoyed it but not enough to buy the rest of the series!

Izzy – glad to find another Gaiman fan. His writing is amazing. I tried The Book Thief once but couldn’t get into it – maybe time to pick it up again.

My go-to easy reads are James Patterson – I know they’re pretty formulaic but for quick and easy reads I love his Women’s Murder Club or Cross series.

• posted by Izzy
    on

My favourite books as a child were also lots of Enid Blyton, I particullarly remember The Folk of The Faraway Tree quite vividly, sure that was one of hers. Once older I remember enjoying the Secret Garden and then in secondary school Watership Down. I read a lot but I don’t remember what they were.

I don’t remember where the quote came from other than my husband told me lol, and it won’t be word perfect but something about… Everyone lives on lifetime, but a person who reads can live thousands of lifetimes.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Yes IZZY! I loved the Faraway Tree too..Mr Pinkwhistle heehee..read them all over again with DD.
    Enid B was massively popular…i think we all wanted to be in the Famous Five and go to school at Malory Towers or Saint Clares. I love yr OHs quote x
    Ps does anyone remember E Blytons Adventures of Binkle and Flip..two bunnies,one good,one naughty!

• posted by Switzerland
    on

A book club. Izzy, what a great idea. I’m currently reading Stephanie Dowrick’s ‘Choosing Happiness – Life and Soul Essentials.’ I’ve read it before and thought it would be great to read it again.
    From my childhood (when I was about 8 years old) I enjoyed all of Hugh Lofting’s ‘Doctor Dolittle’ books and then a bit later Trixie Belden books (from memory there were several authors).
    I read a lot – way too many to mention here. The Service of Clouds by Delia Falconer is a favorite – set in 1907 – WW1 it reflects lives of people in the area where I live. Although a work of fiction, there are some characters in the book based on real people……and when she describes the clouds you know the author has spent many hours watching the clouds rising and falling out of the valleys and beyond the cliffs – divine!

• posted by Izzy
    on

I’ve not finished Harry Potter yet, bad Izzy!

However we were visiting today and it involved a 90 minute car journey there and the same back, so I grabbed a book on the way out the door ( I wasn’t driving)

A year or more ago I had a random conversation with a customer which resulted in him digging out this book and giving it to me. He told me he read this book in the past and enjoyed it so much he passed his copy along to a friend. Then he purchased another copy and found someone else to give it to. Then he bought yet another and continued to follow this pattern of buying it and passing it on, and on that day he was choosing to include me. I don’t know how many he had bought and given away in total but I don’t doubt that once I left his property he would have been busy buying another copy. I always planned to read it but hadn’t got around to it until today.

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

It’s an interesting and unexpected story about life, how to live and destiny. I really enjoyed it and although I don’t think I will follow my customers pattern of buying more I will pass this one on to another in keeping with how I received it, and I would recommend it.

By the time we arrived at my parents house I’d read almost half and by the time we were home I only had 10 pages left so it was all read in one day!

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Izzy,

Ah, The Alchemist….isn’t Paulo Coelho a great writer. I read it years ago and it’s one of those classics that you know you’ll return to across the years.
    Have you read any of his other books?
    My personal favorite The Pilgrimage. Camino de Santiago anyone? Or perhaps another? Maybe Canterbury Cathedral would be closer?

• posted by Izzy
    on

Ah Switzerland no, I’d never heard of him before. I think I will read the Alchemist again I’m sure it is the sort of book that when you reread it you see bits you missed and sometimes read it in a different light. I’ll read some of his others at some point.

I’m still reading Harry Potter – I found it harder to read than JK’s previous Potter books but I think it was just getting used to the format as it is a play script. I’m more into it now but I would have preferred it had she written a novel version.

I’ve not been doing the mindfulness – I keep doing a bit and then forgetting the next day so from Monday I’m going to attempt to properly commit to that so I can move forward with the Ruby Wax book as well.

• posted by weescotty
    on

Just starting a Wallander book by Henning Mankell. One Step Behind. I borrow e-books from the library. Comforting to read the thoughts of the detective re the changes happening in Swedish society, because they are much the same as we see here in UK. We are not alone…. The murdery bits can be gruesome but the thought processes of detection draw me into the plot. I like puzzles.

• posted by Nursebean
    on

I’m off to Canada 3 weeks today to be exact(!) Can anyone recommend a great, exciting book that will keep my mind off the flight? I love thrillers, horror (am a Stephen King fan) as well as books by Susan Hill and Ian McEwan.
    I’m just looking for something that will grip me – I like to be gripped!!
    Many thanks
    Bean xx

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

I’m not a horror fan NURSEBEAN so cant recommend anything..but for a gripping story that holds your attention..
    We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver ..
    Or Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn..(both books are now films)
    How exciting about yr Canada trip! X

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Nursebean
    If you haven’t read it already, I really enjoyed Girl on a Train – and everyone I’ve mentioned it to says they did too.
    It took me a while to get into it – I found the trick was to pay attention to the dates of each chapter (and who is ‘writing’).
    It’s described as a psychological thriller, so I think it would meet your remit.
    The film isnt being released until October, so you should be safe from having it as the in-flight movie.

When I mentioned the book to my sister she said that she’d started it and didn’t really like it – after I’d explained about paying attention to chapter dates, she texted rather grumpily a day or two later to say she was really tired because she’d stayed up til 4am reading it. Once you are hooked, I’d say it’s an ideal book to read on a journey such as a plane where there are lots of distractions – you really won’t notice them.

I loved ‘Kevin’ Yowzer – the friend that told me about it said ‘you might find it a bit shocking’ meaning the idea that some children are born evil.
    Nope, don’t really do Children, I start of with the premise that they all are, but some redeem themselves!

• posted by Nursebean
    on

Thanks YOWZER! Yes I’ve read Gone Girl, I’ve seen “We Need to Talk about Kevin” (great yet disturbing film) but haven’t read it so maybe that would be a good one!
    Oh I’ve heard of that one Frog – I think I ended up reading a very similarly titled book called “Girl on The Train” or something like that. It was a bit dull. The one you are talking about sounds as though it may be a bit hard on my already fragile grey cells(!) but I’ll have a look!

I had a job interview yesterday and got the job! Now I will definitely be looking forward to my holiday in Canada by the looks of all the training dates I’ve got to do. The salary is a joke – but at least it gets me back into the working world after a 4-year break!

Thanks for your book recommendations Frog and Yowzer – I appreciate it! 🙂

Oh Frog! Don’t you think little ‘blessums’ are pure and innocent and then the world hits them? Hmm you may be right! Oh I’ll have to read the book now 😉

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Very Well done getting that job BEAN! XX
    FROG Was Girl on a Train serialised on radio 4…if so,yes wd be a great read BEAN x

• posted by Nursebean
    on

Oh thanks YOWZER!!
    Ooooh that book sounds good 🙂
    Bean xx

• posted by Frog
    on

Just checked – it was “girl on THE train” rather than “girl on A train” – looked back and it was serialised on R4 about a year ago, I think I missed that – but Kevin is good if you’ve not read it yet.
    I enjoyed Emma Donaghue’s ‘Room’ too (both the book and the film were very good)

• posted by Nursebean
    on

So I need to get “Girl on THE train” and “WE Need to talk about Kevin” and I’ll arrive in Canada without even knowing it?! Fab! Thank you xx

• posted by Izzy
    on

I’ve been rubbish and still not practised the mindfulness (bad Izzy) I think I need to start again.

In other news I finished the Harry Potter book and although I did enjoy it, it wasn’t the best Potter book!

I’ve got on audio The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert having been converted to Eat Pray Love after not liking it to begin with.

It’s a big novel this, and it starts with a really long back story – which at times seems uneccessary as the *real* story starts well in to the book. I’m enjoying it anyway though but not sure I would have had it been to read as opposed to listening on audible.

• posted by Edith Carley
    on

Ihave just found the site and this topic. Great idea to have abook club. Nurse Bean I’d like to recommend Ken Follett’s The Pillars of the Earth for a holiday read. It’san historical novel. Not Follett’susual genre and in my opinion, brilliantly researched and written. Do look it up.

• posted by Edith Carley
    on

Been thinking about the books I read growing up, esp as Swallows and Amazons hasbeen made into afilm! Haven”t seen it yet. Was talking about books with my son this weekend! Harry Potter helped him become a reader. It was Orwell’s Animal Farm which really started him off! I’ve just reread TheLion The Witch and the Wardrobe – plan to reread the other books in the Narnia series. Agree that often books we’d enjoyed do not often stand thetest oftime. I enjoy reading booksby Michael Morpurgo, think he appeals to readers of all ages. Has anyone read Love Nina? (Nina Stibbe) It was recently turned into aTV series. I didnt think it was quite as good as the book. I like short stories, currently reading Best British short stories, 2016. Good way todiscover newwriters?

• posted by denisesunny
    on

Hi, just found this topic and so pleased you started it Izzy. Have read through all of the threads and I too have enjoyed many of the books mentioned. Particularly “Girl On The Train” !
    I have just taken The Alchemist off the bookcase (The Pilgrimage is waiting too), these were my husbands books but can’t wait to read them now.
    I have to finish my local “Book Club” book first – The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce. A good read so far.
    I have also ordered two audio books this morning – A Mindfulness Guide for the Frazzled by Ruby Wax (Izzy) and We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver (a few of you). Also just pre-ordered the new BSD recipe book.
    Putting my purse away now.

• posted by Izzy
    on

yes it can get expensive lol.

I’ve finished listening to The signature of all things, and although I did enjoy it I think it is too long to appeal to the masses. If you like a long detailed life story type read though I would recommend it. Certainly was a twisting and turning story.

I watched the movie ‘Cloud Atlas’ yesterday and thought I might enjoy the book so I’ve downloaded it, I guess that will be my next big read. I need to get back to Ruby Wax as well!

Denise welcome to the book club, I hope you enjoy the Alchemist!

• posted by shalimar
    on

Read all the Harry Potter books … loved them.
    I’m currently loving Victoria Thompson’s Gaslight mysteries, C. S. Harris and her historical mysteries, ca. 1811 England. Just started reading Tana French, murder mysteries set in Dublin, Ireland.

I love Charlaine Harris … pretty much all especially A Secret Rage, and the Midnight Texas series.

Love, love, love Kerry Greenwood – Corinna Chapman books ****** and Miss Fisher Murder mysteries!!

One of my all time favorites is “Wizard of Earthsea” by Ursula Le Guin.

P.S. also loved The Alienist and Angel of Darkness by Caleb Carr.

Love recomendations from other people!

• posted by weescotty
    on

I enjoy Ann Cleeves’ stories of ‘Vera’ and ‘Shetland’ on telly so am heading off to my local library ( tomorrow, it is closed all Monday – what’s that about? ) to buy a ticket for her visit to Perth in October.http://www.pkc.gov.uk/article/14610/Blood-on-the-Bannocks
    she may be speaking near you if you fancy an entertaining couple of hours with her. https://www.panmacmillan.com/blogs/crime-thriller/ann-cleeves-cold-earth-tour-2016 Having been retired for four years now am only just catching up with hobbies I had to let go in my final 3-4 years of work ( too tired to do much more than eat sleep work shop ) . As a child I would have to be levered away from a book so it is good to return to a well loved pass-time as an adult. Not always fiction. Am enjoying from the ‘cultureshock!’ series published by Marshall Cavendish. Am reading up on life in Sweden. Written by a Brit, Charlotte Rosen Svensson, who moved there as a child and again as an adult married to a Swede. I remember being attracted to Scandinavian countries since taking O level Geography studies in 1960s. An interest re-awakened by all the Scandi Noir tv progs and reading Henning Mankel ebooks ( free from you local library .) Charlotte writes engagingly and so far has educated me about ‘ordinary ‘ life ( as opposed to constant murders ) Plenty of humour making me giggle out loud – her observations of e.g. buying a newspaper in UK and Sweden = Sweden it takes perhaps six words, Britain it means at least another nine words which according to her would drive a Swede to absolute distraction 🙂 I didn’t know we were so chatty.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Also love the VERA tv series and have read a couple of the Anne Cleeves books they are based on … so far. Interesting. Also love the TV and books of Henning Mankel.

Also love
    Yrsa Sigurdardottir especially My Soul to Take: A Novel of Iceland (Thora Gudmundsdottir series).

and for a French Canadian flavor …. love pretty much all of Louise Penny books … murder mysteries … but GREAT wonderful characters. A Beautiful Mystery is one of my favorites. Best read in series order because the character development is so interesting.

• posted by weescotty
    on

Thanks Shalimar, will put those suggestions on a list. Good to explore new writers. I’m not going to get much housework done if I read all those , and am supposed to be researching a move to be nearer the coast on the West but keep getting distracted. Better get my Monday ‘work’ done ( I usually open a week’s mail and take action – or not. Then a bit of household accounts. Delete old emails, you know the sort of thing. Haven’t even started and it is almost noon. Bye for now.

Please log in or register to post a reply.