Book for Vegetarians and Vegans

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Ali24sollio
    on

Hello everyone

I hope I’m posting this in the right place, apologies if not! I’ve been a lurker in the forums for the last few weeks and in particular looking at information for vegans as I am vegan. I’ve found what I’ve read very helpful and so wanted to help in return. I found out by chance that Kate Harrison published the 5:2 Veggie and Vegan book at the start of June. Although her recipes and approach don’t follow the low carb med diet, and she is working to the original 500 calories a day, I have still found this book great. I’ve tried at least 10 recipes so far and they’ve all been delicious and quick and easy to make. In fact some of them will definitely form part of non-fast day meals too! Some recipes will need modifying to make them blood sugar friendly but there’s plenty in there to work with.

Anyway, hope that is of help to any fellow vegetarians and vegans and even the veg-curious 🙂

• posted by Narnea
    on

Hi, thanks for this. I am not vegan (was for a while) but I prefer to have most of my meals without meat and dairy. I didn’t think this plan would be possible without the meat and dairy. The reason I am able to stick to it is because it keeps me feeling full until the next meal. Don’t you struggle without it? Would love to stop eating so much meat & cheese, I’m not used to it and don’t digest well. What are your experiences?

• posted by Ali24sollio
    on

Hi Narnea

I have no problems at all, in fact if anything, I think a vegan diet works very well with this approach as veggies & tofu are low calorie and pulses, though a bit higher, are very filling. I’ve been vegan for over a year, and with the exception of one year, was lacto-ovo vegetarian for 20+yrs so I am used to not using meat and to a lesser extent dairy. Curries, stews, soups, stir fries, etc are all good. I’m currently doing 3 days at 800cals and mostly low carb med. For breakfast I typically have 20g oats, 20g crunchy natural peanut butter, 100g soya yoghurt, 50g strawberries. Lunch is usually a homemade soup, salad with pulses/hummus, or tofu scramble. Dinner is often a Socca pizza (from the book I mentioned) & salad, pulses curry or stir fry with tofu/tempeh. And I still have calories for my cocoa with a little oat milk in the evening. It is worth noting though that because I have chronic fatigue and can’t work, my activity levels are low. For someone who is much more active it might be harder.

You could always try swapping one meal per fast day or having one fast day each week as vegan and see if you can adapt over time.

Hope that helps.

• posted by Nursebean
    on

This is so helpful @ali24sollio – thank you! I know it was written some time ago but it gives me encouragement that I can succeed on this plan whilst being vegan. I love curries so all should be ok! I would say I need to lose about 2 stone and I know I managed to lose quite a lot and quite quickly when I did this plan before – but wasn’t vegan! 🙁 (how could I EVER have not been vegan?!! 🙁 )

Anyway, just wanted to thank you for your post!

🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.