Boiled egg snacks

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Bobbs
    on

Hi

Today is day 1 of the BSD diet and 4 hours after dinner I’m ravenous as is hubby. We used 710 calories between brunch and dinner which we really enjoyed. I read in the book that you can have boiled eggs as a snack. I don’t see how many calories that an egg has and I’m a bit confused as to how an egg is a suitable snack.

Hopefully after the first few days this gnawing hunger will go. It’s usually about this time we would have a bowl of ice cream but that’s definatly out.

Any ideas please?

• posted by Esnecca
    on

A large egg is 70 calories, 0 grams carbs. You can Google the name of a food and “nutrition” or “calories” and find out the calorie and carb content of anything in a second. You can also use an app like MyFitnessPal or Fat Secret to calculate the calories and carb grams in anything from fresh foods to pantry ingredients, even a lot of restaurant dishes.

May I ask what it is about an egg that seems unsuitable as a snack to you? Hard-boiled eggs are a very widespread snack, from my experience, from when I was a kid doing sports at school through to working in an office as an adult. I make 5 on Sundays for my OH and he brings them to work with a small container of smoked Maldon salt. He eats one a day, dipping it in the salt for an extra boost of deliciousness.

As for your being hungry, it’s probably because you’ve barely begun the process of detoxing from carbs. Ravenousness is a feature of blood sugar spikes and troughs. They’re the ones making you hungry, not the number of calories you’ve ingested.

Good for you for embarking on this new way of eating. Don’t be afraid. Keep your eyes on the prize and sooner than you know it, the pounds will start dropping like flies. 🙂

• posted by Bobbs
    on

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I do appreciate it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a boiled egg as a snack, in the contrary, I love eggs. I always have and the idea that I can have a snack of a boiled egg is just beyond deliciousness esp as your friend does dipped in smoked salt which is about the only kind I use now.

I can’t weight to see the weight drop off. I was always a skinnyminnie all my life till I became disabled and ended up on what seems like a pharmacy worth of meds including gabapentin which was the first drug I noticed weight gain on. Add in morphine and antidepressants and you get the picture. 3 stones later and I’m hypertensive and prediabetic and loathe how I look with a passion.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I love eggs too, Bobbs. I could eat them every day, and there have been plenty of lazy weeks when I did exactly that. 😀

I was listening to a podcast about low carb/keto/nutrition the other day and the doctor being interviewed pointed out that almost every drug on the market has been tested on its own. There are almost no studies specifically targeted to how drugs interact with each other. Most of what we know about drug interactions comes from anecdotal evidence, reports from patients who have found out the hard way that x and y don’t play well together. Still, docs prescribed vast arrays of drugs to patients, each drug targeted to one particular issue. You end up with a very complicated jumble of desired and undesired effects.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you that taking the low calorie, low carbohydrate approach can break through the barriers the meds have put up and put you on the road to physical and emotional wellness. There might even be some ancillary improvements to issues other than weight and metabolic problems. Carbs are highly inflammatory, for example, and cutting them can have a very positive effect on issues like arthritis, fibromyalgia, eczema, edema, chronic back pain, etc.

• posted by Squidge
    on

The hunger should indeed reduce greatly once your body adapts to a low carb diet. You might not feel great for a few days. Some people experience headaches (drinking plenty of water helps a bit there) or tiredness, but it really does get much easier fairly quickly. The better you are at avoiding refined carbs, the more quickly you’ll get over the wthdrawal period, as eating just a little will rest your cravings.

• posted by Bobbs
    on

Thank you so much Esnecca.

I fully relate to the undesirable side effects of drugs and I’m hypersensitive to so many as I’ve found out the hard way. Currently I’m onmorphine, gabapentin, venlafaxine, omeprazole ( no wonder my tummy gets upset) 3 different antihypertensive meds, high dose ibuprofen and a few more I can’t remember. Your list of symptoms is also interesting. I have chronic pain after 2 failed spinal surgeries, chronic nerve pain, depression, arthritis, newly diagnosed fibromyalgia, intermittent eczema. And some there I can’t be bothered listing. If reducing carbs can reduce some of it then isn’t that just the best reason to change my eating.

I’m doing not bad I hopw

• posted by Bobbs
    on

Thanks so much for answering.

I can’t wait for the hunger to ease as I’m starving and that’s so unusual as I don’t often eat during the day. I must admit though, I feel rotten. Im drinking plenty but still feel uurgh.

Fingers crossed it will all pass quickly. I can see why folk give up at this stage but I have too much at stake to just toss it away.

Please log in or register to post a reply.