Blood Sugar Readings

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by General Melchett
    on

Hi,

I have just completed six weeks on the Fast800 diet where I have lost 8kg bringing my weight down from 82.5kg to 74.5kg and reducing my BMI from 25.2 to 22.7.

I undertook the diet following an HbA1c reading of 62 and am expecting the results of a follow up HbA1c middle of next week.

During the diet I have been monitoring my blood sugar with a home test kit and have seen a fall from initial readings of 8.7 to average 5.5 after a couple of weeks.

My question is that I have finished the weight loss part of the diet now and had a couple of treat nights of burger, chips, beer and the likes where the following morning my blood sugar readings have been around 6.5 (which is back in the borderline high region). Is this normal or do I still have an issue with blood sugar?

It is not my intention to revert to my old ways of too many carbs but I would hope to be able to enjoy them in moderation so is it normal to have this high reading or do I need to avoid them almost completely?

GM

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi GM, yes you have added in too many carbs. As you have reached an ideal BMI and dont really want to lose any more weight, stick to the no bad carbs rule but increase the other things so eat, ie and extra egg, larger portion of meat, a little more cheese. Note that it must still all be the good stuff and only increase little by little to see how your weight reacts. BUT, reintroducing burger (the bun part), chips and beer (all bad carbs) is going to have an immediate impact on your BG – so you still have an issue with blood sugar. This diet can reverse the high readings but you might have to watch those carbs forever or at least for a long time.

Sorry if this in not what you want to hear but imagine a smoker being told stopping for 10 years will put their lungs back to those of a non-smoker so they decide they can smoke again starting with new lungs – no, it doesn’t work that way. Although it wont take 10 years. In simple terms (cos I do rabbit on) what made you have a problem in the first place is still going to hurt you. Just stick with it until everything is stable then have that beer or a burger and chips as an occasional treat.

on

Hi Sunshine-girl,

Thanks for the reply. You’re right it’s not exactly what I wanted to hear but I did suspect that I may have to continue to stay off the carbs for a while yet.

I’m disappointed but will continue to monitor things in the hope that some day I won’t have to avoid foods that I love so much all the time.

Kind regards,
    GM

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Instead of all three at once, try adding back just one at a time, so in one day, add a burger with bun, or a beer, or some chips, and check again. Even someone without blood sugar issues probably has a similar rise with such a carb heavy load, they just don’t measure it.

on

Hi Mixnmatch,

That’s probably a far more sensible approach than my sudden carb load up 😁.

GM

Please log in or register to post a reply.