Best recipes?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Live to eat
    on

Hi there,

I’m starting the BSD 800 tomorrow with my partner and I was preparing by making up some of the guilt free baking recipes.

I have now tasted the cheesy scone, guilt free brownies and zucchini and pumpkin seed muffins and they were all nasty and barely edible! I’m also not a fussy eater.

So, I’m wondering what are your favourite recipes so far (with calorie count, if they are your own)?

Cheers!

• posted by Hampshire Gal.
    on

My first question is why are you hitting on snacks/cakes?

This diet takes guts (pardon the pun) and determination.

I bought the book, thought “why bother reading” just go straight to the recipes??? One day later I was reading the book.

It sits on my breakfast island now, all day, every day for the past week. I checkout the recipes, decide what takes my fancy and plan my next days three meals or two on a Saturday/Sunday which allows for a scrummy Brunch.

Week one and 8lbs down……how happy am I.

I love the planning and I love preparing the food – it’s bought me back to my favorite love of cooking…….

Just take your time, write down the page number of the recipe you fancy (otherwise you can’t find it later)….keep a daily track of what you eat and write your comments in the book about that meal….really helps.

I’ve now got a chart of my start weight each day, how many calories I consume and how much ginger/lemon tea (74 cals) or sparkling water with fresh lemon. It really is a good way to stay firm.

and now, on to week two!!!

• posted by Live to eat
    on

Hey!

I’m not planning on only eating snacks/cakes. I just thought I’d prepare and freeze them when I don’t feel like cooking.

I’ve planned out my week of what I’m going to eat, but I just wanted to know what everyone’s favourite recipes were.

Congratulations on 8lb down the first week! Amazing!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Live to eat I think that most of the people who are successful with this way of eating are so because they completely change their diet and mindset. I’m not saying there is anything wrong with snacks but my guess is that you if you continue eating the same way as you are now, but with ‘healthier’ substitutes you are making life more difficult for yourself. As Hampshire Gal says “…the diet takes guts and determination”. No it isn’t easy, well at first, to ditch the sweet stuff and the high carb foods like bread etc. but after a while you no longer want to eat those foods as you taste buds change.

If you have diabetes then this is a complete change of lifestyle not a ‘diet’ to be started and finished. Carbs, especially simple carbs are the enemy, rather than calories, although they are obviously important too. Unlike other ‘diets’ this one doesn’t encourage you to keep eating as you always have done, but with lower fat and fewer calories, it encourages you to take charge of your health and change your way of eating for life. Enjoy the journey!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi live to eat, if you are doing the 800 calories then there is no room for ‘snacks’ – good or bad. In my view substituting bad carbs for slightly better carbs (think flour for almond flour for instance) just says to me, what is the point. How many people take the 800 route but say I still want to eat carbs, I cant manage 800 because of this excuse or other. Why do this diet, pick a different one that fits better into your lifestyle and one that you can keep to. If you start vlcarb and within a week are eating ‘healthy scones’ then you will have failed to take on the premise of the diet and when people fail, for whatever reason, it makes it more difficult for them to continue and starts them feeling useless. Why not go on the Med diet or ease in with the 5;2 and have your treats on the non fasting days.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Live to eat, I sympathize with what you are feeling right now…..started in the same place as you before I began the BSD. I used to do quite a bit of low carb baking and found some great recipes on the sites I have listed links for below.

The problem with them as the good recipes while low in carbs are pretty high in calories to fit into the BSD. There are some great scones, cakes, muffins etc but many of them are 250 – 300 calories….which means one muffin has to be eaten as your entire meal. If you are new to low carb (as in never ever have done it before) you can lose 30 lbs initially starting under 20 – 30 carbs. But many have found they hit a wall and cease losing if they don’t also lower their calories. That is why we all ended up here.

Anyway, here are some links to some good low carb web site with some excellent recipes. I love the BSD diet but don’t think much of some of the baking recipes in the book. Good intentions, but not great flavor.

Try some of the baking items from these sites in moderation. As I said…prepare to have one muffin and tea or coffee with cream be half your calorie allowance for the day. For most of us we just don’t lose without both keeping the carbs under 20 g AND the calories under 800. The non baked items on these are pretty terrific and are well within BSD standards….its the almond flour items, that while tasting terrific with great nutrition, are just pretty high in calories. Great for maintenance, not so great for losing weight.

Good luck.

https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

https://www.lowcarbmaven.com

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Feeling a bit guilty about being a bit harsh and prescriptive I would add to my advice that if you are going to do this diet in whatever format you choose then you are to be congratulated in taking positive steps to improve your situation.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Love to Eat,

I can understand why starting on this way of eating (WOE) feels like stepping off a cliff, and why you thought it would be a good idea to expect to include snacks in your menu plans. But it simply isn’t possible to stay with that WOE and follow this plan. Back in October I spent one week on the diet and then fell off the wagon for a week because it felt so hard before starting again. It does take a few weeks to get used to following this diet plan, but once you do the desire to snack, or even to have three meals a day fades.

Please log in or register to post a reply.