Best blood sugar monitor?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Lisa
    on

Hi everyone! Looking forward to being a member of the Forum, and I am currently preparing to start the BSD. As part of this prep, I am going to buy a blood glucose test machine so I have an idea of my start point. I started to read the Amazon reviews on one of the machines linked on this site, and there seem to be quite a lot of mentions of inaccurate readings. Can anyone recommend one that is known to be consistent please?
    Thank you! 🙂

• posted by Hopeful
    on

Hello Lisa,
    I am Type 2 diabetic on Insulin and have been using the Freestyle Freedom Lite which is very good, but be aware that the testing strips can be expensive(I get mine on prescription)you may use 4 a day, I test before each meal and before bed.
    Can I suggest you go on Amazon or Ebay and type in ‘blood monitoring testing strips’ and see which are priced reasonably then go for that make of tester,I think most of them are pretty accurate, or speak to your diabetic nurse at your surgery and she may be able to help, may even give you a tester!!!
    Regards
    Hopeful

• posted by Lisa
    on

Thanks Hopeful. I don’t need a fancy one as I have not been tested, but am curious as I suspect after reading the book that I may test as pre diabetic. I see that some do all sorts of things. I looked at the Aviva one that you could click the link to on here ( the one with the cartridge ) and this was where I saw quite a lot of people reporting an inaccurate reading. I will look at the strip prices thank you

• posted by Porkyatbest
    on

Hi,

Try ‘code free’ on Amazon. The monitors and strips are fairly cheap and they usually do a deal on the monitor and test strip package.

• posted by Lisa
    on

Thanks. The strips do seem to cost a lot in some cases!

• posted by Donnadoobie
    on

Code free, as mentioned before are the cheapest test strips. I use mine everyday and still have the same battery from 3 years ago!

• posted by gateofheaven
    on

I was able to get a Freestyle lite monitor for free going to their website. The strips are what cost. In the States we can get strips with a prescription for free. But, if that is not possible, Amazon had some of the cheapest prices for strips that I was able to locate. Even on Amazon, though, some companies were selling the strips for twice what others were. Cheapest I found was about $30 US for 50 strips (shipping included).

Please log in or register to post a reply.