Basil! (Imagine that in a Sybil Fawlty-like screech)

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Patsy
    on

Lots of the recipes in the book involve fresh herbs, so I decided to grow some of my own. It’s really quite easy. Perhaps a bit too easy …

Any of you clever lot like to suggest lots of uses for a surprisingly large amount of fresh basil?

• posted by neohdiver
    on

I’ve never had a problem with too much basil . . .now i did have a thyme patch get out of control!

I’m planning an herb pot garden this summer, for the same reason.

• posted by Patsy
    on

I have a thyme plant, but haven’t used that lately. Unless they’re on the windowsill I tend to forget to eat them. Must try harder – going out to pick them will add a few steps to my daily total!

• posted by neohdiver
    on

The spicy chicken and lentils is wonderful!

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Patsy,
    It’s been a great season for basil. I’ve always had difficulty growing it but this year my persistence paid off. My fall back recipe for too much basil is Basil Pesto. Now I haven’t had it since I’ve been doing BSD (I’m half way through Week 3), but think it may fit the BSD way of eating. Basil, olive oil, garlic, parmesan cheese, pine nuts. (look up a recipe for amounts).

You could put it on any of the vegetables that can be spiralised, or spaghetti squash or the low carb pasta substitutes that are on the market. Enjoy.

• posted by Hawks
    on

You can use basil as the leafy part of a salad.
    Try it with cherry tomatoes and feta, or tomatoes, avocado with a balsamic dressing, or with cucumber and strawberries or blueberries, or with whole fat yoghurt, whole roasted garlic cloves and olives.

Please log in or register to post a reply.