Awesome August

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Hello and welcome!

This is the latest monthly thread for anyone who wants to set one or more monthly goals and have some lovely company whilst working towards them. So, whether you want to shed a few pounds on the scales, lose fat from a specific body part, fit into those favourite clothes again, or get into a better exercise routine why not join us so we can help each other on our journeys? Let’s make August Awesome!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Jennie10,

I hope you enjoy your family time at the start of August, but while I remember I thought I would answer your question. – Yes, weight training to failure was the technique we were encouraged to follow. – The advice was to work out using a weight where you could achieve more than 7 reps, but less than 15. You would do one set, wait for a few minutes, do another set, wait for a few minutes do the third set. – The aim is to put your body under enough stress that it will encourage it to build extra muscle.

I have put in an order for a copy of Dr Bikmans book. – Apparently it should be available to send out in the UK in a weeks time. –
    I know that Dr Bikman talks about the difference at a cellular level of muscle adapted to burn fat for fuel rather than carbs – There are two mitochondria in a muscle cell adapted to use carbs for fuel, but 5 in a fat burning muscle cell. So my guess would be that exercise to failure is the best way to encourage your body to produce more cells, and those cells are likely to be adapted for fat burning.

• posted by shoegirl
    on

Hi all, thanks DCT for setting up this thread. I started back on a strict WOE mid-July and have lost 3.5kg, but most importantly reduced my waist by 5cm! I love your way of measuring your loss by using a belt, JGwen! I mentioned reading “Women’s Wellness Wisdom” by Dr Libby Weaver last month and she talked about using deep belly breathing to engage and calm the parasympathetic nervous system. She also made connections between this and emotional eating, that by tuning into our bodies during deep breathing we can often discover what we really want is an emotional connection (a hug or someone to say well done) rather than food. As a life long emotional eater I thought this sounded good and I’ll try to do this more in August. Slow, deep breathing while asking myself what I really need could be a support for me in maintaining my weight loss. Good luck to all fellow BSD followers in August!!

on

Hi Shoegirl that’s great news about your weight and cm loss in July. Very inspiring: if you wore a belt you’d be using the next hole or two along, just like JGwen! Good luck both of you with your belts – real or virtual – in August.

Shoegirl I’ve also been reading about the new stricter measures in Melbourne and I hope you’re ok? Merry Melba too. And to SueBlue and any other Aussie friends on this thread: how are things going for you?

Good luck in August everyone. I don’t want to set myself a numerical goal this month, just focus on being better at sticking to plan. I do eat the BSD way most of the time, and am maintaining, but I know I’m letting too many bad carbs drift in too often, and am unlikely to lose any more weight unless I can get on top of that. I need to start tracking my food more efficiently this month. So here goes: what I probably need to do is just work from the book again as I do find that helps to focus me.

Take care and stay safe everyone wherever you are, both physically and on your weight loss journey X

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Jennie10,

I just thought of another point to share with you. Dr Fungs assistant / patient 1. Blogs about her experiences as part of the advice they provide for free. – She makes the point in one of her blogs that she reached her target weight, but when she looked at photos she could see that she was still carrying too much fat. – So she continued fasting but increased the physical exercise. – The outcome was she dropped 2 more dress sizes, but gained 15kg during I think 3 months.

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi everyone,
    My August goal is to be 62kg by the end of August and not to have gone up and down like I have been. I’m not weighing for a bit, mainly because I see a loss on the scales then my brain says ok u did this , now eat something u shouldn’t..
    A few years ago I did the belt thing and it’s amazing how great you feel as the belt needs tightening..
    I wish they would go back to closing our border again here in the Northern Territory..more and more tourists are arriving from the other states in Australia and I think it’s only a matter of time before we have an outbreak here.
    Stay safe,healthy and happy
    😊🖐️

• posted by shoegirl
    on

I loved your post, waitaminute, I think that’s my downfall with maintaining weight loss too. Once I’ve lost a bit my brain says “ now have a treat”!! And so round it goes! Tips appreciated. Thanks for your kind thoughts, DCT, Melbourne heads into very strict lockdown at midnight, with most shops closed, no hairdressers etc. is that similar to the lockdown a few months back in the uk? If so it’d be great to get some words of wisdom on staying positive through it all. At least it helps me to focus on this WOE as it’s one of the few things I can control!! Stay safe everyone.

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi all,
    Shoegirl I have failed, or maybe I shouldn’t say failed.. I’ve had lots of glitches in the last few weeks, I started out saying right I have done this before and can do it again. Then as soon as the scales told me what I wanted, I self sabotaged..why? I don’t know. So all I can do is to not weigh and go with the nsv of going by how my clothes look.
    It’s going to be getting hotter here very soon, yesterday was 28c and the day before 29c..I tried on all of my dresses 2 out of the 6 fitted but were a bit tight..not uncomfortably so, but still not how I preferred..the others, well let’s not go there 😳.. I am not buying anymore so I told myself if U want to live in 2 dresses the whole spring and summer then keep eating the wrong stuff and binge away to your hearts content. Tough love 😂. Anyway I shall see whether I listen to the go eat side of my brain or the u can do this side😂.. hopefully the latter but there’s no guarantees.
    I need to just keep busy, that seems to get me through most of the day..evenings are the hardest..hubby eats chips and snacky stuff ..I join in because , well in my mind I can!! But I know I shouldn’t even while I’m doing. To top it off, I’m not even hungry at that time…so that has to stop. Stay tuned!!
    Stay safe, happy and healthy 😊🖐️

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Hello Everyone

I am just popping in to report that I am still following you all via the forum but don’t have much to contribute at the moment. Living in Greater Manchester we are under imposed lockdown rules and I was gutted when a meal I had booked for me and my husband And my son and his wife had to be cancelled at short noticed due to new restrictions. I haven’t been anywhere since March. I am not gaining any weight which is good and seem to have sussed out maintenance. However, I want to be losing. I am 10 lbs from where I want to be but the Michael Moseley programme has inspired me to go back to basics. I do intend to be 145 lb by the end of August. I am walking every day and drinking plenty of water. The hot weather has helped curb my appetite and increase my water consumption.

I have followed this way of eating for a long time now and it is second nature to me but I guess I have become a little too relaxed. My plan for the rest of August is to be stricter than usual so that I am no more than 145 lb by the end of the month. I know that is definitely achievable.

Hope everyone is having an awesome August. In the current climate we are all to be congratulated for keeping on but never has it been more important to be a healthy weight to give ourselves a fighting chance should we be infected with Covid. We have all had a massive wake up call about our health. I am keeping an eye on my BMI and I want it to be 24. I am currently in the overweight category. Good luck for the onward August Journey.

on

Hi Cathy

Great to hear from you and that you’re still doing ok in spite of everything. I had not put two and two together about you being in local lockdown. So sorry that your meal got cancelled 🙁 But I do hope it can go ahead soon.

Good luck with your continued progress and willing you onto 145 by the end of this month. I still need to watch the MM programme – its recorded but not got round to it yet. I’m hoping it will fire me up a bit as I need to work harder if I want to lose any more weight. I’m maintaining ok but am still around half a stone heavier than this time last year, and also – like you Cathy – 10lb higher than I’d ideally like to be. But bad habits have crept in: particularly wine during the nice sunny weather, but also chocolate and bread more often than is good for me. So I definitely need a bit of a reboot! I’m visiting my mother again next week so will likely be given toasted teacake for breakfast again, but at least can escape from the wine culture for a little while …..

Hope everyone else is doing ok and seeing some positive progress towards your August goals? X

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

DCT- we have been in our journey together now since 2017 and I reckon if we both get ourselves sorted out we can give ourselves the best Christmas Present EVER this year by getting to goal. We are not that far off now and I reckon it would be reasonable to “go for it”. I am aiming for 138 lb by Christmas- I think 133 was too low for me to maintain, I bet there will be others like us who are within say 1stone of goal weight who would like to join us. It might be something to think about from September onwards maybe starting a thread called “Goal Weight by Christmas” Something to think about? I really do want to stop messing about and want to get the job done!

You are good at maintaining too and were so close to goal. We know we can do it if we get ourselves sorted. I’ve been 130 lbs so is know it is possible. We know that our bad habits got us here in the first place. Enjoy time with your mum and that toasted tea cake! I’ve been enjoying crumpets!!

Keep going everyone..we are all on a mission!

on

Yes definitely like the idea of a longer term Christmas thread. Maybe that from September to December instead of a monthly thread? Would that work for others too?

Thanks for the encouragement Cathy. You’re right – we CAN do this. Finally!!!

Please log in or register to post a reply.