Awesome August

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Hello and welcome!

This is the latest monthly thread for anyone who wants to set one or more monthly goals and have some lovely company whilst working towards them. So, whether you want to shed a few pounds on the scales, lose fat from a specific body part, fit into those favourite clothes again, or get into a better exercise routine why not join us so we can help each other on our journeys? Let’s make August Awesome!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Jennie10,

I hope you enjoy your family time at the start of August, but while I remember I thought I would answer your question. – Yes, weight training to failure was the technique we were encouraged to follow. – The advice was to work out using a weight where you could achieve more than 7 reps, but less than 15. You would do one set, wait for a few minutes, do another set, wait for a few minutes do the third set. – The aim is to put your body under enough stress that it will encourage it to build extra muscle.

I have put in an order for a copy of Dr Bikmans book. – Apparently it should be available to send out in the UK in a weeks time. –
    I know that Dr Bikman talks about the difference at a cellular level of muscle adapted to burn fat for fuel rather than carbs – There are two mitochondria in a muscle cell adapted to use carbs for fuel, but 5 in a fat burning muscle cell. So my guess would be that exercise to failure is the best way to encourage your body to produce more cells, and those cells are likely to be adapted for fat burning.

• posted by shoegirl
    on

Hi all, thanks DCT for setting up this thread. I started back on a strict WOE mid-July and have lost 3.5kg, but most importantly reduced my waist by 5cm! I love your way of measuring your loss by using a belt, JGwen! I mentioned reading “Women’s Wellness Wisdom” by Dr Libby Weaver last month and she talked about using deep belly breathing to engage and calm the parasympathetic nervous system. She also made connections between this and emotional eating, that by tuning into our bodies during deep breathing we can often discover what we really want is an emotional connection (a hug or someone to say well done) rather than food. As a life long emotional eater I thought this sounded good and I’ll try to do this more in August. Slow, deep breathing while asking myself what I really need could be a support for me in maintaining my weight loss. Good luck to all fellow BSD followers in August!!

on

Hi Shoegirl that’s great news about your weight and cm loss in July. Very inspiring: if you wore a belt you’d be using the next hole or two along, just like JGwen! Good luck both of you with your belts – real or virtual – in August.

Shoegirl I’ve also been reading about the new stricter measures in Melbourne and I hope you’re ok? Merry Melba too. And to SueBlue and any other Aussie friends on this thread: how are things going for you?

Good luck in August everyone. I don’t want to set myself a numerical goal this month, just focus on being better at sticking to plan. I do eat the BSD way most of the time, and am maintaining, but I know I’m letting too many bad carbs drift in too often, and am unlikely to lose any more weight unless I can get on top of that. I need to start tracking my food more efficiently this month. So here goes: what I probably need to do is just work from the book again as I do find that helps to focus me.

Take care and stay safe everyone wherever you are, both physically and on your weight loss journey X

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Jennie10,

I just thought of another point to share with you. Dr Fungs assistant / patient 1. Blogs about her experiences as part of the advice they provide for free. – She makes the point in one of her blogs that she reached her target weight, but when she looked at photos she could see that she was still carrying too much fat. – So she continued fasting but increased the physical exercise. – The outcome was she dropped 2 more dress sizes, but gained 15kg during I think 3 months.

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi everyone,
    My August goal is to be 62kg by the end of August and not to have gone up and down like I have been. I’m not weighing for a bit, mainly because I see a loss on the scales then my brain says ok u did this , now eat something u shouldn’t..
    A few years ago I did the belt thing and it’s amazing how great you feel as the belt needs tightening..
    I wish they would go back to closing our border again here in the Northern Territory..more and more tourists are arriving from the other states in Australia and I think it’s only a matter of time before we have an outbreak here.
    Stay safe,healthy and happy
    😊🖐️

• posted by shoegirl
    on

I loved your post, waitaminute, I think that’s my downfall with maintaining weight loss too. Once I’ve lost a bit my brain says “ now have a treat”!! And so round it goes! Tips appreciated. Thanks for your kind thoughts, DCT, Melbourne heads into very strict lockdown at midnight, with most shops closed, no hairdressers etc. is that similar to the lockdown a few months back in the uk? If so it’d be great to get some words of wisdom on staying positive through it all. At least it helps me to focus on this WOE as it’s one of the few things I can control!! Stay safe everyone.

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi all,
    Shoegirl I have failed, or maybe I shouldn’t say failed.. I’ve had lots of glitches in the last few weeks, I started out saying right I have done this before and can do it again. Then as soon as the scales told me what I wanted, I self sabotaged..why? I don’t know. So all I can do is to not weigh and go with the nsv of going by how my clothes look.
    It’s going to be getting hotter here very soon, yesterday was 28c and the day before 29c..I tried on all of my dresses 2 out of the 6 fitted but were a bit tight..not uncomfortably so, but still not how I preferred..the others, well let’s not go there 😳.. I am not buying anymore so I told myself if U want to live in 2 dresses the whole spring and summer then keep eating the wrong stuff and binge away to your hearts content. Tough love 😂. Anyway I shall see whether I listen to the go eat side of my brain or the u can do this side😂.. hopefully the latter but there’s no guarantees.
    I need to just keep busy, that seems to get me through most of the day..evenings are the hardest..hubby eats chips and snacky stuff ..I join in because , well in my mind I can!! But I know I shouldn’t even while I’m doing. To top it off, I’m not even hungry at that time…so that has to stop. Stay tuned!!
    Stay safe, happy and healthy 😊🖐️

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Hello Everyone

I am just popping in to report that I am still following you all via the forum but don’t have much to contribute at the moment. Living in Greater Manchester we are under imposed lockdown rules and I was gutted when a meal I had booked for me and my husband And my son and his wife had to be cancelled at short noticed due to new restrictions. I haven’t been anywhere since March. I am not gaining any weight which is good and seem to have sussed out maintenance. However, I want to be losing. I am 10 lbs from where I want to be but the Michael Moseley programme has inspired me to go back to basics. I do intend to be 145 lb by the end of August. I am walking every day and drinking plenty of water. The hot weather has helped curb my appetite and increase my water consumption.

I have followed this way of eating for a long time now and it is second nature to me but I guess I have become a little too relaxed. My plan for the rest of August is to be stricter than usual so that I am no more than 145 lb by the end of the month. I know that is definitely achievable.

Hope everyone is having an awesome August. In the current climate we are all to be congratulated for keeping on but never has it been more important to be a healthy weight to give ourselves a fighting chance should we be infected with Covid. We have all had a massive wake up call about our health. I am keeping an eye on my BMI and I want it to be 24. I am currently in the overweight category. Good luck for the onward August Journey.

on

Hi Cathy

Great to hear from you and that you’re still doing ok in spite of everything. I had not put two and two together about you being in local lockdown. So sorry that your meal got cancelled 🙁 But I do hope it can go ahead soon.

Good luck with your continued progress and willing you onto 145 by the end of this month. I still need to watch the MM programme – its recorded but not got round to it yet. I’m hoping it will fire me up a bit as I need to work harder if I want to lose any more weight. I’m maintaining ok but am still around half a stone heavier than this time last year, and also – like you Cathy – 10lb higher than I’d ideally like to be. But bad habits have crept in: particularly wine during the nice sunny weather, but also chocolate and bread more often than is good for me. So I definitely need a bit of a reboot! I’m visiting my mother again next week so will likely be given toasted teacake for breakfast again, but at least can escape from the wine culture for a little while …..

Hope everyone else is doing ok and seeing some positive progress towards your August goals? X

on

DCT- we have been in our journey together now since 2017 and I reckon if we both get ourselves sorted out we can give ourselves the best Christmas Present EVER this year by getting to goal. We are not that far off now and I reckon it would be reasonable to “go for it”. I am aiming for 138 lb by Christmas- I think 133 was too low for me to maintain, I bet there will be others like us who are within say 1stone of goal weight who would like to join us. It might be something to think about from September onwards maybe starting a thread called “Goal Weight by Christmas” Something to think about? I really do want to stop messing about and want to get the job done!

You are good at maintaining too and were so close to goal. We know we can do it if we get ourselves sorted. I’ve been 130 lbs so is know it is possible. We know that our bad habits got us here in the first place. Enjoy time with your mum and that toasted tea cake! I’ve been enjoying crumpets!!

Keep going everyone..we are all on a mission!

on

Yes definitely like the idea of a longer term Christmas thread. Maybe that from September to December instead of a monthly thread? Would that work for others too?

Thanks for the encouragement Cathy. You’re right – we CAN do this. Finally!!!

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi CC and DCT,
    I’ll be in that.. anything to keep me doing the right thing and having goals😊
    Stay safe, health and happy 😊🖐️

• posted by TjBee
    on

Hi everyone, I’m new to Fast 800 and this forum. So cool to read people’s experiences and support on here. I’m aiming to lose 10kg in total and have lost 3kg in my first 8 days which I know will slow. Until I started Fast 800 I exercised 3-4x a week for an hour strenuously. I gave myself the week off when I started so I didn’t use exercise as an excuse to overeat when tired. I have been eating 2 meals a day, 12pm and 630pm and sticking to under 800cal, I still get hungry but just drink more water and it’s manageable. I’m going back to the gym next week, I do classes as I get bored working out on my own. I’m curious if anyone else is doing classes and what they’re doing and how it’s affecting their energy levels. I usually go at 6am and I work full time

on

Hi TjBee and sorry for the delayed response: the weekend got in the way! Sounds like you have got off to a flying start, well done!

Before lockdown I used to go to the gym and did Zumba and Pilates classes, plus swimming. I haven’t gone back yet, but during lockdown took up running which I am still doing. I usually do 16:8 and skip breakfast but find it easier to run on an empty stomach: feel sluggish if I have had anything to eat beforehand. So I time the run for mid-late morning then have something to eat fairly soon after I get back, as I’m always ready by then.

I’ve been following this WOE for a while now and do remember feeling quite weak in the early stages, so my only advice to you is to listen to your body. It may be that you need either to slightly up the calories or slightly reduce the intensity of your exercise when you go back to the gym this week. I suspect it will be a case of try it and see. Also, if you’re going straight to work from the gym and not then planning to eat until midday you might just need some kind of snack to give you energy. Just to keep you going. Something like nuts or berries or Greek yoghurt maybe.

I’m sure everyone will give you different advice on this, but as I said earlier you need to find what works for you. Every body is different. But I’m confident that with your positive approach you will continue to lose weight fairly quickly. Please do keep us up to date with your progress!

Hope everyone else is ok and we all have a good week X

• posted by TjBee
    on

Thanks for the kind words and tips ☺️

• posted by Sarah1968
    on

Accountability time foe me! . Have had a couple of cheat days over the last 3 weeks but certainly nothing like I would have before the WOE started. Feeling so much better without this excess weight but still got quite away to go yet ……..
    Carbs for the last 7 days 42g, calories average 883.

Week1 7lbs
    Week2 3lbs
    Week3 1lb
    Week4 2lbs
    Week5 2lb
    Week 6 nada
    Week 7 2lbs

Total 17lbs.

Am going to do this until 12 weeks as determined to get to my 2 stone.

on

Hi Sarah what a great post! You’ve done so well to pass the first stone milestone and here’s hoping you make your target of 2 stone within 12 weeks. It’s great too that you are still losing even with the occasional cheat day. Well done! It’s exciting to see how much you lose this week. Keep going!

How is everyone else doing? We’re just over halfway through August now, so time for an extra boost if needed? I’m away visiting family for the next few days so will be off the thread until Monday but plan to do a bit of a blitz next week. I’m also excited to start some kind of Christmas countdown thread in September (as suggested by Clarinet Cathy) and finally get to goal once and for all!!

Have a good week everyone X

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi DCT – I’m doing well, thanks – hope everyone else is going well, too.
    Sorry I’ve been with family so I’m arriving in August a bit (very!) late. Early August we had a strange, socially-distanced visit from our son who lives down in London. It’s been 8 months since we’ve seen him, so, although it was strange , it was just great. We then decided to take a chance and visit my brother and sister-in-law, neither of whom are in great health. They don’t live in Greater Manchester but they don’t live too far away from the lockdown areas so we thought we’d see them while we could. We stayed in a hotel and I was impressed with how the staff were managing the Covid-19 risk. I was still pretty nervous though, and amazed my husband and I managed the whole experience without a row (I was only pointing out what 2 metres looked like!). I’m glad we did it, because now I know it’s doable, but think it’ll be Skype and phone calls again for quite a while. Still, it was a great boost. I’ve managed to put on 2lbs so back to needing to lose 7lbs to get back to my 9st target. My plan for this week is to get back into my routine.

CC – I didn’t realise you were in lockdown either, I hope things are going OK and things return to ‘near’ normal soon. Sounds like you’re really focused this month – especially with the walking and the water – I always find the water drinking one of the hardest things. And, yes, I really like the idea of a three month thread running up to Christmas, too.

JGwen – thanks ever so much for your replies about the exercise – my plan is to develop my own exercise routine based on Ted Naiman’s ideas so I’ll incorporate some of what you did also.

TjBee – similar to DCT before lockdown I went to the gym and exercise classes. I did a resistance training class and a general exercise class focusing on building up my strength and balance – I needed it. Later I did Pilates. I haven’t gone back so am going to develop my own home-based routine for now. I didn’t start with exercise until I was a couple of months in as I wanted to focus on the dietary bit first (unlike you and DCT I’d never exercised before). When I did start I did feel quite weak initially but quickly found I had a lot more energy even though I was still only eating 800 cals. (Mind, I was retired so it was easier for me to rest later if I needed to). Roy Taylor, whose Newcastle diet (also 800 cals but in shakes) influenced MM’s BSD and Fast 800 diets, advised people not to worry about exercise during the 800 calories part of his diet, so I think it will be fine to ease off a bit if you do find it’s making you feel too weak.

Sarah – 17lbs – wow, that’s a great loss. Well done that woman! You must be thrilled. Hope things are going well this week for you.

Waitaminute and shoegirl – hope you’re both doing well with your August goals – and staying safe. xx

Jennie xx

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi all,
    Welcome all new people 😊🖐️,
    Sarah..look at you go ..woohoo congratulations 👏👏👏😁
    TjBee 3kgs is great, well done..you have got this 👏👏👏😁
    I’ve been in the self sabotaging place again 😳the little carb devils 😈 have been telling me it’s ok to have a little glass of scotch and coke pffft whoever has just a little glass!! Not me that’s for sure..soooo 4 glasses and 2 glasses of wine and nibblies that were in no way carb friendly found themselves in my belly😲🤢
    I’m doing good once more tho🙃..the last 5 days I’ve stuck to being sensible and have only eaten low carby stuff, had a horrible headache yesterday, not sure if it was to do with the low carb eating or a sinus one. They both aren’t very pleasant.
    I have upped the fizzy water, we have loads of lemons on the tree so I’ve squeezed some fresh juice into it. I read somewhere that lemon juice in water is supposed to be a good way to help flush uric acid out of your body…I’ve had less gouty pain in my toe almost to the point of it not hurting at all, so something is working.
    Now for a bit of a moan!!
    I wish people who are supposed to be self isolating would do it, and those here in Australia who sneak across borders think about what selfish b’s they are.😠😡
    At this rate I’ll never be able to move back to Tassie to live close to my family 😭😭😭
    I know I’m not the only one in this predicament , it makes me so angry that the majority of us are doing the right thing. The one’s who aren’t, moan when they get sick, well whose fault is that!!!!
    Ok rant over.
    Jennie10 I was always too lazy to exercise but since moving interstate early this year I had forced exercise..our house here has 3 flights of stairs so unless I want to live outside I had to climb stairs, it’s amazing how fast it takes going from trudging and moaning about “who rents a house with this amount of stairs. ” To running up them without even noticing😂
    We have a pool so I’ll get back into swimming soon as the weather heats up a bit more.
    We also bike ride too so if I take anything from this place it will be fitness 🚴🚴🏊🏊🤸🤸🤸 I draw the line at cartwheels tho😊😊.
    Ok have a great day/ night
    Stay safe,healthy and happy everyone.😊🖐️

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi everyone, hope August continues to go well for you.
    Not very good weather here so I’ve just got drenched during my morning walk. Anyway, I’m now drinking a lovely mug of coffee which makes it worth it. I’m managing to get in my daily 10,000 steps since I got back home – but food-wise I’ve not quite settled back into a regular routine.

Waitaminute – your exercise comments made me laugh. When I first started walking (from a zero start) I huffed and puffed around our local area, cursing and swearing (under my breath) every step of the way. I’d feel quite irritated with my husband because when we walked together he always found at least a couple of steep slopes for us to climb up (glad he couldn’t read my mind – he was quietly cursed from bottom to top of each and every one!). But, you’re right, not that many weeks in I suddenly found I was breathing easier and could walk up a steep slope without stopping – it felt pretty good. There are times when I still have to throw myself out the door but once out I really enjoy it – particularly early morning. No pool here sadly, but getting my bike fixed and having a go is definitely on my to do list.
    Really sorry to hear about the continued frustrations because of the pandemic. Haven’t seen much on the news lately – how are things going – hope the numbers of new infections are reducing. My frustration here (UK) is there are no numbers produced about how many of those who need to, are self-isolating! Nada – it’s disappointing. But, moving on, it’s great you’ve been so focused recently – long may it continue. By the time you get to Tassie you’ll be so fit, healthy and well. xx

I’m going to take my lead from you this week and really focus on my routine – I’ve been meandering from everything just a bit – diet, exercise, water intake, etc, so I just need to tighten the whole thing up. Recently, I heard an Olympic gold medallist say he was always told by the sports psychologist to ‘focus on the process and the product will take care of itself’. So, that’s going to be my mantra for the rest of this week.
    Hope everyone else is still doing well – would love to hear how everyone is going.
    Take care
    Jennie xx

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Guys, A discussion which occurred on the forum a few weeks ago reminded my that I knew something which was worth experimenting with. – So over the last three weeks I have been periodically eating coconut. – I know I could get the same impact from taking supplements of what I think is the key ingredient in the benefit that coconut brings. But this way is more fun and the local green grocer was selling 2 coconuts for a £.

The first time I noticed a dramatic impact on my gut. A major cleaning effect shall we say. – I had a fourth coconut over a couple of days recently and no dramatic impact. I have noticed a distinct reduction in the craving to eat even through I am not hungry. But I am going to keep going. I am going to monitor the changes to a couple of toenails which are not a healthy colour / shape and grow too rapidly to see if I get the long term changes I expect.

I also caught the a bit of a repeat of one of Dr MMs programs shown late on the BBC yesterday. – The one on the truth about exercise. It reminded me that there is research that HIIT helps to reverse insulin resistance. – Apparently they think that emptying the muscles of glucose by high intensity exercise so that insulin can carry out its normal role of replacing that glucose is the reason why HIIT is better than general exericise. I can’t stop thinking about it it terms of applying WD40 to a hinge and working away to get it moving smoothly, but anyway. I have decided to blow the dust of my exercise bike. I am sharing this bit for accountability, not so much the using the exercise bike but having the neccessary clean up to get to it to blow the dust off it. – 🙂

If we do go for a thread for the run up to Christmas, healing / balancing gut bacteria and reversing IR will be my two projects.

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi all,
    Jennie if only our other halfs/halves knew how much we silently cursed them 😂😂 for their unknowingly making us fitter!!
    I quite like that mantra that you posted..can’t see me being an Olympic gold medalist or an Olympic anything for that matter but I’ll do the focusing and let the product take care of itself..mainly because I’m lazy and if anything can take care of itself I’ll let it 😂😂😂
    Still haven’t weighed myself but my dress is looser so something is happening, either that or its stretched 🙃
    Stay happy,healthy and safe 😊🖐️

• posted by shoegirl
    on

I can’t believe that our Awesome August is almost over! I’m feeling pretty good, awesome could be pushing it a bit!! Since July I’ve lost almost 4kg, but over 6cm off my stomach which I’m thrilled with. I’m trying a little TRE twice a week as maintenance, fingers crossed! Sounds like people are staying focused. I love your coconut idea, JGwen, it’s sweet enough to feel like a treat, but hopefully the health benefits will be the best part. I hear your rant and agree, Waitaminute! As I’m also living in Melbourne I just want everyone to do the right thing and let us ease up lockdown a little!! I think that it’s hard to do this WOE during a lockdown as there are so many “ no you can’t’s” it’s hard to be strict with your eating. Also tricky to get quality exercise! Happy to have a longer thread to Christmas too! Stay well and stay healthy everyone!!

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Congratulations Shoegirl for your cm lost and kg too!
    It has been hard being in long lockdown – all for the good, and I do so much want it to work so we can maybe ease things a little. So been staying in for Awesome August, baking, walking my dogs – and trying to walk with a friend. For singles it has been a long time, so hoping for a better Spring. I haven’t been so concentrated on cals. Keeping low carb and mostly 16:8, but cals are higher. Once we get a little lockdown relief and warmer weather I will get back to 800. Roll on Super September!
    Lovely to see all the gardens in flower on my walks, as Melbourne has had good winter rains for a change. Magnolias, daffodils, camellias, daphne (my fave), daffodils. 💐🌺🌼

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi all,
    The last day of August and I didn’t manage to get to my goal, but nevermind, I’ll strive to make it soon..
    Stay safe, happy and healthy 😊🖐️

on

Last day of August and I too didn’t achieve my August goal but I’ve maintained, my clothes are still fitting and I am happy with that for the time being. I am well and haven’t had Covid so that is a massive win! I feel strong mentally and am preparing for the onward journey ahead of me. I feel that I’ve messed about a little too long now and am getting fed up of procrastinating, up and down a few pounds but thankfully maintaining despite taking liberties!! I feel now that autumn is approaching Im ready for new foods, soup, etc, I really do want to get to goal and be done with it once and for all. 2020 has been a washout in every sense of the word with Covid and all the devastation that is has brought to us all but how good would it be if we could all focus enough for the next few months so that we could achieve our goals and end 2020 as a winner! That is what I am proposing for myself and I think four months will be enough time to do exactly that.

I hope August has been awesome for others. I’ve messed about again! Must try harder and get the job done! See you on the countdown to Christmas thread!

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi all. Just checking in for the last day of August. I can’t say it was awesome woe-wise – since my trip to the UK proved a major distraction for a number of reasons. But I am happy to report that I have discarded my corona kilos. Next step will be getting back to the top of my healthy range, which I hope to do by end September. Please do not check my earlier posts to see the same goal with a different deadline… it’s all about picking yourself up again and KOKO!

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi all
    I’m also reporting in for the end of August. I’ve lost 6lbs of the 10lbs gained during lockdown so I’m pleased with that. But, although that’s great, I have to be honest, I’ve been pretty erratic from day to day – I put a couple of lbs on at one point – and then ate only one meal a day for quite a few days – to try to push the numbers down again. Yet again, my walking has also been stop/start this week and I’ve not really done any other form of exercise which I keep saying I will. Oh dear, not brilliant. A bit like you, caronl, I’ve been distracted by different things going on. So all in all, moving forward into September – as my old teachers used to say – Must Do Better!

Well, I meant to post more but I’m going to have to catch up with everyone later. My husband, who is in charge of cooking our roast chicken & green veg dinner has just come in to describe to me the precarious way in which the various dishes are placed in the oven – something sitting on top of the chicken ?!? – and to tell me he needs a lie down. May have something to do with the socially distanced bottle/s of wine he drank with his mate in the garden this afternoon. Anyway, I better go.

Will come back later to check things out but I’m definitely up for the 3 month run-up to Christmas thread.
    Jennie xx

on

Hi everyone, great to see all your posts.

I will set up the Countdown to Christmas thread now. Am drawing a line under August (have done ok, maintained, but nothing exciting!) and hoping to make (yet another!) fresh start tomorrow.

Look forward to seeing you there X

Please log in or register to post a reply.