avoiding fasting hypoglycemic episodes on a diet – how?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by iang
    on

Hi,

I recently started on the blood sugar diet and am finding the amounts and types of food ok to eat, but one problem that I am having relates to headaches and very blurred vision. This seems to happen usually just before I eat at lunchtime (aprrox 12pm) and again at around 4pm.
    The headaches I can control with pain killers but the blurred vision is so bad that I cant physically read my computer screen and as I’m at work and work in IT, this is a real problem.

I have found that I can control these episodes by having a tea with sugar about 30 minutes before hand, but I’d rather not. So far I’m sticking to the diet quite easily and so don’t really want to go and change my diet away from what’s recommended in the blood sugar diet book. Any helpful thoughts?

Btw – I’m not diabetic (as far as I know) , just trying to lose weight…

Thanks
    Ian

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Ian
    are you diabetic ?
    Are you testing your blood sugar levels regularly ?
    I’ve had my fair share of diabetes related eye problems but nothing like that.
    It almost sounds like some kind of hypo. When I’ve had one I get shakey with a headache and sweating.

• posted by iang
    on

Hi Bill,

No, as far as I’m aware I’m not diabetic. I only thought my problems could be caused by fasting hypoglycemia due to a google search.

As I only seem to get this during the week, testing my blood sugar isnt something thing that I particularly want to do at work.

Thanks,
    Ian

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hmm, it only takes 30 seconds and is fairly unobtrusive.
    It just sounded like a hypo so better to know if your sugar is too low especially if taking sugar fixes things.
    If it is too low you could moderate the diet to make up for it.

• posted by katinka56
    on

Very pleased to have found this thread. i am on day 9 and have had a horrible day, woke to nasty visual disturbances and then a headach which has been with me on and off all day. Painkillers don’t seem to touch it. have been surfing the issue and think I may have hypoglycemia. Really upset as i have been getting on so well with the diet. I don’t have diabetes but am very obese, I have drunk a glass of juice and it seems to be slowly getting better. Do you have any advice?

• posted by Bissell
    on

Dear Katinka56. That sounds rough, I do sympathise. perhaps it might be a migraine which I think some others have had in the early stages of the diet. Hopefully it will go and not return! I have reactive hypoglycaemia, which means I over produce insulin in response to raised blood sugar levels. I am lucky that I haven’t had one episode since starting this diet. I guess if the blood sugar levels don’t go up, they can’t dip too low. The symptoms for me are a sort of tunnel vision, disorientation, giddiness, heart palpitations. Are you drinking enough fluids? Maybe breaking the meals into smaller portions, more often, if that makes sense. Stick with it though and good luck!

Please log in or register to post a reply.