Are you sure your scales are accurate?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by chasingthedream
    on

I was getting a bit despondent because I didn’t seem to be losing weight even I’m my clothes seemed looser. Then I started this diet, initially lost 4 lbs, then weighed again two days later and registered same weight as before. Thought to myself “this can’t be right”, stepped off scales and on again and suddenly I seemed to have put on, in the space of 30 seconds, about 1.5 lbs. I really hope this means my scales have been playing tricks on me. I plan to get new batteries for those pesky scales, although I put the current one in not long ago, and have also spent £7.50 (mechanical Salter scales on offer from Amazon) so I can check my results. Fingers crossed that by the time I have myself organised on Monday I will have a nice surprise waiting for me. Maybe two sets of scales is the answer in any case, because from reviews I understand that electronic scales can be unreliable?

• posted by Trish45D
    on

You should only weigh on your scales once. Same spot on the tiles (only tiles not carpet) and you should if possible be wearing no clothing and have ‘gone to the toilet’ before hand. You should also try to weigh at the same time each time you weigh.

If you move the scales in order to weigh yourself, you have to reset them. If digital you do this by turning them on and waiting until they turn off again. Turn back on. Weigh. Do not weigh again. Do not have two sets of scales – there really is not need. Just be patient. 🙂

• posted by Iwanttobeslim
    on

I hope your instructions are obeyed in as much detail as they are given!

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

I think it depends on how accurate you want them to be. I use electronic scales placed on a hard surface. I’ve just put 60 kilos of weights (which are probably reasonably accurate) on the scales and they show as 60.1kg. Probably close enough for me as I think I paid £12 for them. I tend to use imperial and use the whole pounds as my weigh-in and see the fractions as a bit of fun.

Just reset them and they’re now showing 60.0kg!

I can’t really see much point in two sets of scales, because what do you do if they tell you different weights?

• posted by Iwanttobeslim
    on

Obviously one set of scales is ample. Chasing seemed to think her scales were faulty and bought the others as a back up. I’m sure she had no need of detailed instructions on the weighing process. Dare I say a bit patronising? I really hate to weigh myself because I am terrified I will not have lost weight. I always feel for the people on Biggest Loser who diet and slave in the gym all week and still only lose a pound or so. In my younger days I used a pair of jeans to gauge whether I had lost any fat. It was much easier then

• posted by Frog
    on

I had an old pair of digital scales that regularly gave different readings -I wasn’t too bothered when it was only fractions of a kilo – I gradually realised how inaccurate they were, and replaced them.
    Having read hundreds of customer reviews in deciding what to replace them with, it is not an uncommon problem.

The new set do body fat, water content, and all the fancy stuff that I rarely bother to use once the novelty wore off – but when I got them it took me a while to work out how to get the detailed stats working, so I tried the scales at least fifty times – and the weight given only changed by 50g (I probably lost that with the exercise of stepping on and off the scales so often!)

I haven’t checked them by weighing weights – but the weight given was in the right ballpark, as long as the new scales weigh consistently, that;s really all I need to know.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

I think Trish45D’s advice was excellent and not at all patronising. These are public forums and I have learnt loads that I’m sure many people thought was bleedin’ obvious. We are all coming from different experiences.

• posted by SchnitzelVonKrumm
    on

“Iwanttobeslim” and “chasingthedream” have had very similar experiences with South Tyneside Hospital then later going to QEII hospital. Almost identical experiences. Small world isn’t it!! You two should get together.

Please log in or register to post a reply.