anyone with med-induced diabetes had any success?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by passionfruit
    on

I gained a lot of weight due to some psych prescription meds, became insulin resistant and then diabetic. At the moment I am unable to withdraw from the drugs involved but have just started the basic blood sugar diet. Has anyone had experience of this and any success?

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi there passion fruit

If you put med-induced diabetes into the SEARCH box (top right) you will find, in addition to your post, some others which discuss medical treatments inducing diabetic effects.

Hopefully some might be useful for you? 🙂

• posted by Avila
    on

Hi passionfruit,

I didn’t reach diabetic but high risk, I put on a lot of weight on psych meds too.
    Not sure about the diabetes being induced by the meds directly but thought it came from the weight side effects of the meds – in which case should respond the same way as most type 2 ???? That’s my theory anyway.

As someone following this plan whilst being on psych meds (Sertaline and Quetiapine) I have lost almost 2 stone over 8 weeks (16 to 14; I am 5ft 10). That included some days ‘off plan’ as in Totally Off – the depressed lets eat a whole (serves 4) cheesecake was a classic.

So can you lose weight on this plan whilst still on meds that give you the munchies – yes you can. The full fat is filling which helps, as does banning temptation from the house – and trying to avoid accidental shopping. That is a risk factor for me…

• posted by passionfruit
    on

Hi Avila,

Thanks very much for your reply – well done on your weight loss. It’s encouraging to here of your success. May I ask if you were doing the low carb med style diet, or the low calorie/5:2 diet?

Please log in or register to post a reply.