Anyone done a post 8 week Reboòt?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Jackie WilsonSaid
    on

Did the 8 weeks in April-May. Lost 25lbs, Gained new outlook and attitude.
    Since then stable weight with modest carbs and don’t drink as much. Enjoying regular intense exercise 3 x per wk.

So wondering if I should do another 8 with the aim of losing 5kg – an arbitrary figure to take me to a round number. And probably lose some more internal fat.

My concern would be if it didn’t work 2nd time and spoled my sense of achievement.

Anyone have experience of revisiting the 8 week programme?

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I did an initial 7weeks during which I lost 13lb. Then I was away for ten weeks on a road trip to Turkey, when I was sort of observing the principles of the BSD but not weighing /measuring consumption or myself. I returned having gained 2.8lb and started the BSD 800 again, which I kept up fairly strictly for six wks, but have become a bit woolly with it over the last four weeks, however, in that time I have lost the 2.8lb gained plus a further 6lb. I am about to go back out to Turkey for another five weeks and will be starting back on the BSD 800 in earnest on my return, with an aim to lose another 6lb (from my current weight) before Christmas.

I guess what I am saying here is, that there is no reason another stint on the 8week programme would not work, as long s you are adhering to it properly.

Good luck regardless of what you decide to do.

• posted by Frog
    on

I’ve just started a reboot this week
    I started in May – lost 13kg steadily for the first thirteen weeks, then kind of plateaud for three weeks before I admitted to myself that it wasn’t really a plateau, I’d not exactly drifted away from BSD, but increasingly more treats and non compliant days.
    There is an existing thread “2nd 8 weeks starting Tuesday August 30th” that you might want to look at. It’s a group of us that stopped/relaxed BSD a bit & are getting back to it.

I think today is about day 6 – I’ve lost 2kg (or rather I had until I went to the dodgy diabetic cookery class with bonkers recipes yesterday & put 0.2kg back on when I weighed this morning)

Many people have kept on with 8 week principles for several months – if you had good results the first time around, you know that the diet works. It’s great that your weight has remained stable for four months, but if you still need to lose more to get to a healthy or target weight, then you probably do need to repeat the 8 weeks -or experiment with cutting back on your current eating plan and accept that you may lose the 5kg, but more slowly.

on

Thanks SunnyB and Frog for sharing your experiences and thoughts.
    I think the 8 weeks seemed liked a great bargain in retrospect; my expectations were hopeful rather than high, so when it worked I was amazed – particularly in that the science made sense too.
    I have a nagging feeling though that there’s a bit more to go. My internal fat, as measured by the Tanita, is staying around 13-14% from 15%, so a further drop to a healthy 12% would give me a sense of ‘job done’. And also since sticking to a plan will keep me to more variety of food and a few less calories/carbs, it will do me good anyway.

I think I will do another 8 and meantime will look on the other thread too.

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Jackie WIlsonSaid,
    I did the 800 over 10 weeks then had a 6 week break to cover holidays, visitors etc. When I restarted it was very easy, I had put a little on (gutfill etc) and that came off in a couple of days and the weight just coming off again. I did another 8 week stint then I was doing a lot of physical exercise so upped the cals and carbs a bit for the next period and had a ‘relaxed’ day per week. The rest of the weight still came off and I am now at target.
    So yes, just restart, you know it will work and you know what foods to eat. It is much easier the next start!

on

Orchid – thanks for confirming what I’d hoped. And that a further 8 is practical and worth it.
    Well done to you.

(Anyone know how to fix a torn glute muscle – cycling I think – just when things are going well life creeps up and bites you…! )

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Jackie WilSaid

Not a reboot, but I’ve stayed on the BSD 800 for 38 weeks to reach my target weight. That 38 weeks included holidays, social occasions and residential conferences.

on

captainlynne that 38 makes a further 8 weeks seem like a breeze!
    Congrats on reaching your target and I hope that you are enjoying being there.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks Jackie 😃💐

on

captainlynne – I have a question:

How did you decide what target weight was good?
    particularly given the different opinions as to what is good – some argue that BMI is a bit arbitrary etc.

I felt pretty pleased with what I got on the 8 weeks. After watching the Mosley docs and reading extensively about diet and weight I settled for normalised HbA1c, 5″ less waist and -25lbs and that all my clothes now fit or are loose.
    Another few pounds and slightly less internal fat might be nice but if I went for a BMI governed weight I would be on the BSD for much longer I think.

Any thoughts?

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Jackie

The weight of 9st 7lb has been the one voiced by medics for decades when they’ve talked about my weight, so it was in my mind. When I started the BSD I thought my height was 5ft 2ins, so the top of my healthy BMI was 9st 11lb. At that point I thought somewhere around 9st 7lb would give me a little wriggle room under the top of my healthy BMI.

But then they checked my height at the doctors. And I was 5ft 1ins😱, making the top of my healthy BMI 9st 7lb!

So I decided that was my target, but wanted to still lose a few more pounds so that Imhad that wriggle room, especially while working out how to maintain my new weight.

Yes the BMI is an arbitrary figure, but I needed something to work from.

I’d already attained normal fasting bloods and HbA1c, many months ago. So goals were then not particularly health related. I wanted to be able to ‘double cross’ my legs as I once could do. That is ticked off. I used to be able to touch the ground, without bending my knees, with my palms flat on the floor. Today I discovered I can now do that again😃. Another tick. Shop in ‘normal’ clothes shops – tick. I’m now able to tuck tops in, rather than having to wear them outside skirts and trousers 😃.

Once upon a time I dropped down to 8st 7lb (due to stress) but that was too low for me. So, at the moment, I’ll say I want to stay between 9st and 9st 7lb, but not go above that upper limit.

I’m seeing my diabetes nurse tomorrow, to let her know I’ve reached my target weight (and what it is). Interested to see what she has to say!

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Lynne,
    Good luck with the nurse tomorrow! It will be interesting to hear what she has to say!

Hi Jackie Wilso said,
    I have had a few weeks ‘rest’ after my visit to the doctor to see him about my weight loss and whether I was still pre-diebetic, I had lost two and a half stone, however I wanted to lose another stone, but had reached a plateau! He suggested the resting, I started back on Monday this week and have already lost a pound each day! So to,answer your question I think it would be ok and also a success to do a reboot? So good luck and go for it!
    Christine.

on

captainlynne,
    Thanks for the details; I’ve concluded that everyone is different after all [!] so we’re going to be satisfied results that work for us as individuals. I’m happy so far, but admit to myself there might be a little bit more to go. So I’m going to continue with what works for me but with even more insight. I don’t want to lose any height so will give the BMI a miss [ha, ha!].

Christine,
    I appreciate your input. I’ve also enjoyed my ‘summer rest’ [now that it has a name] and feel optimistic about having another go at the 8 weeks to see if there is anything else that wants to disappear. Congrats on ‘pre-diabetic’ results and significant weight loss, may the next few lbs be painless.

And may I recommend a bit of mindful meditation to you all to complete the picture.

cheers

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Christine

Back from seeing the nurse (and having flu injection).

She asked how I was feeling, checked my weight on her scales (they weigh less than mine), told me she tells lots of patients about the BSD. She asked I’d I’d seen the GP to discuss it, because she keeps on telling the GP about it (and me!). But the GP does not appear to be interested. I have heard on the grapevine that the GP is leaving, which will mean the practice will be staffed entirely by locums. In the 15 months I’ve lived her I’ve never seen the GP, and only seen a locum once!

The nurse asked me what the top of her healthy BMI (at 5ft 1.5ins) should be!!!!!

She liked some photos I showed her that were taken a few weeks ago 😃

Oh – to go back in a few months, just to let her see how I’m doing.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Great Captainlynne, Looks like doctors come and go but we remain and keep proving that this works. I have put on another thread that the advice we are following flies in the face of recognised practice and medical persons are afraid to go off piste and recommend something that has not been rubber stamped by NICE. On the quite though some doctors, like mine, are saying if it works go ahead. Good for your nurse, who though we would be teaching them.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi sunshine-girl

The nurse has blown hot and cold about the BSD over the last 9 months. She admits she needs to lose weight, but does she try it? Of course not! Seems to be a case of ‘do what I say’ rather than ‘do what I do’. But it’s not my problem. She’s seen my results so one day she may decide to try it.

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Hi Captainlynne
    I’m sure you probably don’t know – but nurses are bound by strict protocols and guidelines that come ‘from the top.’ She may well agree with what you are doing but unfortunately her hands are tied unless she wants to get herself into deep trouble. If she endorsed a patient’s experience then that patient became ill, it would be easy for the patient to take her ‘all the way.’

Not sure why she’s asking you for the top of her healthy BMI – she would have access to that info at her fingertips! Maybe she is trying to be supportive to you.

As for her needing to lose weight – we’ve all been there! One day the penny will drop, something will click and she will join our ranks. Let’s hope and pray that happens soon for her- we all know what it feels like to try so hard all our lives and get nowhere!

Come on Captainlynne’s nurse – let your brain click – we are rooting for you!

Please log in or register to post a reply.