Any new starters this week? I started Sept 16th x

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Spalmon
    on

Hi I was hoping there might be some other brand newbies who might like to share comfort and support? I started yesterday, didn’t manage to get to 800 cals was more like 1100, but I did stick to the principles. Today I’m hoping to get to 1000 and tomorrow 900… I have a touch of the ” Carb flu” with aches and general grotty feeling. It is horrible to think how much sugar and carbs I’ve been eating to suffer withdrawal symptoms! I have drunk and drunk but still feel thirsty and pee is still quite dark which seems odd.
    I weighed myself yesterday and it was 83kg. I’m embarrassed to write this down, my ” normal” weight was 66kg for many years so to have gone to 83 is quite scary, its as though since I turned 50 three years ago I have given up on my body. So I want to make a big change and start to love my body and take care of it. I don’t want to be an unwell elderly person, I want to be able to make the most of the next years.
    So I am determined to do this. I want to be sensible and work my way into it, so that I can make it work forever and not be another flash in the pan.
    I find I stick to things best when I feel part of something so the forum is a wonderful resource. I’d love to be able to share this journey with others if I can.
    Right, having got through the horror of writing down my weight gain, I am going to do some house cleaning !
    Have a great day x

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I there and welcome, i’m sure someone will come along and join you. You can chip in on any threads as you will be welcome anywhere and dont forget to use the Search Box if you have any questions as they will have been asked many times and if you cant find an answer, just ask.

• posted by Macloud
    on

Well, welcome!

I cannot join you exactly, because I actually started on 21st August (2017 !). So today is 4 weeks in and the precise halfway point in the 8 weeks BSD regime. Perhaps my progress, though I am sure others will have done better, will nevertheless inspire you to stick at it ?

I started at a weight of 93.0 kgs on 21st August and this morning, 18th September, I weighed myself as 86.3 kgs. In old money that is a loss of just over 1 stone (14 lbs). BTW, I am male and aged 72.

TBH I am over the moon with progress. I have not found the regime too difficult to adhere to. Hungry for a couple of days as my stomach intermittently wondered what the hell was going on ! But since then I have not had too much trouble with hunger.
    I have managed to keep off bread, biscuits, cake, crisps, jam, breakfast cereals (except porridge), chocolate, fizzy drinks, even alcohol and the vast majority of other naughties. I continue to be really focused (to my surprise).

I will confess that my total calories, of which I keep a detailed record, has crept up to around the 900 average per day but no more. But, hey, I am bigger : right ? My reasoning anyway.

Being retired is a double edged sword as the food cupboards are close by and I do not have daily employment to keep my mind off food. I learned a long time ago that an unbroken routine is best to stick to diets and social events can be disastrous to one’s resolve. I am therefore pretty well totally anti-social just now ! I will deal with a just-been-notified funeral next week on the day. And I am sure that holidays could be even more disruptive.

As far as possible I try to fit in with the family meals, quite often having a ‘child’s portion’ of what is on offer. Occasionally I will cook my own buckwheat pasta, or whatever, while others have potatoes but I know that can result in kitchen chaos with different cooking times etc. ! We work through it.

Hope this helps, not least because it is my first post !

Just keep the faith and stick at it y’hear ?

Macloud

• posted by Spalmon
    on

Thanks so much for your post Macloud and well done on your achievements so far that is fabulous.
    I’m doing ok so far – would still say I’m easing in rather than fully compliant , carbs at 60 g and calories not yet down to 800, willbe 1000 today so going in the right direction and much less than half of what I have been consuming.
    It would be great if you could keep posting from time to time. Thanks so much x

• posted by PattyB
    on

Hi Spalman,

I started a few weeks ago but would be more than happy to join you. We can all use a positive, enthusiastic, and motivated support system no matter where we are in the process. I know my FitBit group helps me stay engaged in fitness and to stay accountable.
    We don’t weigh the same, share the same fitness level or age but that hasn’t stopped us from joining the challenges and supporting one another.

• posted by FatBeGone
    on

Hi Spalman,

I’m starting today and I’d love to share the journey with you. I had planned to start yesterday (and posted that somewhere else, which i now can’t find), but chickened out! Anyway, today’s the day. I stood on the scales this morning, completely freaked out and here I am, committed! I only want to lose 5.1kgs but I’m cranky with myself after losing 7.2kgs spectacularly slowly last year only to put 5.1 of that back on again this year. So I’m trying a different approach. How are you getting on?

• posted by Spalmon
    on

So I’m into day five and am very pleased with 4 lbs loss so far. Although it’s not as much as others have found, I’m really happy as I am usually a very slow loser.

It’s not been too bad , I couldn’t get to sleep last night as I was feeling hungry and fantasising about getting up and eating a big bowl of cereal but I stayed in bed and did eventually get to sleep!! I haven’t had the ” carb flu” feeling since Monday so that’s good.

I’ve had a spinach omelette this morning and planned my food for the day so hopefully today will also go well – it will be the first big test for me as I have an all day meeting at our national office and so there will be biscuits and a buffet lunch to tempt me. I have packed a healthy lunch and some almonds as a snack so now all I need to do is stay strong!!

Strangely despite my late night cravings last night I haven’t been hungry during the day, it is really scary how much more I have been eating than my body needs.

One thing I continue to struggle with is managing my carbs – they are everywhere !! I just don’t know how people get down to 20g, I haven’t got below 60 yet. Maybe as a veggie it is a little harder.

Hope everyone had a good day yesterday( and Fatbegone I hope your first day wasn’t too hard) and wishing you a wonderful day today – the sun is shining here so hope it’s smiling on you too xx

• posted by snekker
    on

Hello,

I actually also started on sunday 17th and this is my second time doing this, although my plan is somewhat more extreme this time. Back in january I did the BSD for ca 4 weeks and went from 105kg down to about 89kg which I was happy with at the time and started eating somewhat more normal, just from then started to skip meals (why eat breakfast?).
    A couple of kgs came back after I stopped the BSD in february, bu my weight has been stable at 92kg +/-2kg since then. During those 4 weeks at the start of 2017 I sticked mostly to the BSD regime (basically max 800 cals a day), but I was usually well below those 800 and some days I was able to fast completely. If you’re not hungry, why eat? I also only ate between 16-20 to maximize the fasting time between meals.

As said, since those weeks at the start of the year I’ve had no issues maintaining the new weight, but I now feel that I want to go further down to reach whatever my “ideal” weight is. In terms of BMI, it should be 75-80kg as I am 180cm tall, but due to the way I’m built it might be more like 85.
    So this time I do not really have a weight-goal in terms of a number, but the belly and some remaining fat needs to go. So maybe that is around 85 kg, maybe 80 or lower. I will decide from looking in the mirror.

The eating (or not-eating) plan for now is to try, as far as possible, to do a complete water-fast until I reach my goal, but as I am working normal hours (mostly in office, but next week I have to travel to Korea) I will probably have to or want to eat something some days. And then I will keep myself below 800 cals a day and try to eat only once a day.

After a complete fast with only water, bone broth and a multi-vitamin pill in the morning since my last real meal on saturday 16th, I felt relatively weak yesterday, so I had a little food last night. Probably 300 cals. Today I’m back on the fast and feel fine so far.

Weight at start sunday morning was 93,5kg and this morning 90,7kg.
    I have had a few days here and there during the spring and summer where I did a day or two of fasting, but I have struggled to get below 90kg with that. I am hoping this new regime, which I will try to sustain until I am at the target, will allow me to break through this barrier as it seems.

Will keep you notified about the progress and wish good luck to everyone.

• posted by Spalmon
    on

Golly Snekker I am impressed with your will power that sounds really hard core! Good luck I am sure you will reach your ultimate goal, it would be great to hear how you’re. Getting on x

• posted by lordburnside
    on

Started Monday. Day 4 and have lost 5lbs n weight which is great. The rate of loss is slowing down and with the weekend ahead I may put some weight back on!
    Getting a bit tired of eggs but there seems I can only have porridge.

Week 2 may be a challenge! But I am pleased with my progress. I haven’t been hungry at all and I am not missing potatoes rice pasta or cereal. just tired of eggs!

• posted by lordburnside
    on

Congratulations Macloud on losing 14lbs in 4 weeks. That is my goal too. I haven’t punted calories just eaten salad veg eggs and fish? My portion sizes are getting slightly bigger every day which I need to watch. I see some people use kg not lbs. Loss is better in pounds. I have lost 5lbs but only 2.3kg in 4days.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I used both pounds and kg, it gave me twice as many mini-goals to celebrate achieving 😀

• posted by JuniperT
    on

Can I join you? I started on 10th Sept so complete my 2nd week tomorrow. I’ve lost 8lb so far and am really excited about it. I’m eating real food and not finding it difficult…yet! Loved reading everyone’s posts.

• posted by Spalmon
    on

Welcome and well done on your journey so far what a fabulous achievement!
    I had four brilliant days but the last couple have been a bit mixed, all starting with a work meeting on Wednesday where I abandoned my diet and ate everything in sight. I’ve had a much better day today so hopefully tomorrow will be completely back on track.
    Even the bad days have been a major improvement on what I was eating before. I’m hoping that my weigh in tomorrow will still show a loss ! X

• posted by Spalmon
    on

Feeling gloomy ! My first week and I have lost 1.4kg or 3 lbs in old money. Normally I’d be delighted with this but, despite a couple of dodgy days, I must have eaten less than half the amount I was eating before so I was really hoping for a bigger loss. I’d lost 4 lbs by Wednesday so I’ve put a pound on since then.
    I’m going to have to be so consistent with this to lose the weight, not sure that the 5:2 approach will work for me, unfortunately.
    Need to keep the faith so have a plan for today ! Hope everybody else has a great day xx

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

If your ‘everything in sight’ included lots of carbs then you will be retaining water. It isn’t true weight gain unless you overeat your calories by 3,500 per pound weight gain over what your body is used, which however bad you have been is highly unlikely in just a couple of days. Likewise, you should only expect real weight loss according to the same measure, so how much you lose even on 800-1000 calories will depend on what your body uses in a typical day.

• posted by JuniperT
    on

Don’t feel gloomy, Spalmon! We need to be kind to ourselves and not think that absolute perfection is the only way. I have made myself a chart for the 8 weeks and each day record my weight, steps walked, calories consumed and other activities. It’s on paper so I can look at it easily and remind myself of how far I’ve come in 2 weeks. There have been 2 days when my weight was up from the day before, but that’s the human body!!
    I had my first negative reaction to this diet last night. I got out of the bath and suddenly felt faint and a bit sick. I went straight to bed and the feeling wore off. I slept well and feel fine this morning. Anyone else experienced anything similar?

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Yup. I get head rushes getting up from a seated position fairly regularly. They don’t bother me. I just hold on to something for a few seconds until they pass. In the early days I also experienced occasional bouts of nausea, only one of them severe enough that I actually vomited. That was in December and hasn’t recurred since.

Spalmon, it’s not just the amount you eat, it’s what you eat that drives the high losses. If it were a simple matter of portion sizes, it wouldn’t be the BSD. Have you counted calories and carbs on your fast days? If you’re anything like me, estimates won’t do the trick. They’re usually way off. If we were any good at guessing how much of what we were eating, we wouldn’t have much weight to lose in the first place.

Having said that, buck up! You lost 3 pounds in a week! It’s been months since I saw figures like that (I’m very close to goal now, so the losses have slowed to a crawl), and you should rejoice at saying goodbye to every ounce as it takes its fat ass on down the road.

• posted by Gladys From Cornwall
    on

Hi Spalman – I started the 8 week 800 calorie diet the day before you (15th Sept) and have been a very good girl (I am extremely addicted to carbs – especially chocolate and biscuits). Delighted that I have lost 3.5kgs in the first week! (I was 90.1), but I expect that will slow down soon.

On my 5th day I came down with a stinking cold and sore throat so have been lying on the sofa for two days – not good for exercise – but feeling better now so intend to do a walk tomorrow.

I’m not counting the carbs – but I am sticking to just the ‘good’ ones recommended – whole porridge oats for most of my breakfasts (portion controlled) with a few peach slices, spoonful of soya yoghurt and spoonful of seeds – yum! In place of rice I’ve had pearl barley. Eggs for brekkie twice – once with sunblush tomatoes and some avocado and the other time with a slice of smoked salmon.
    Tonight I did the stuffed pepper – but I used a little left-over from the freezer bolognese sauce and added spring onions, celery, chilli flakes for a kick and a little feta cheese.

I don’t eat mammals but I do still eat a little chicken every now and then – tomorrow, for my partner’s sake, we are having chicken breast (4oz) and a load of green veggies – cabbage, brocolli – and gravy – I will make him roast potatoes but abstain myself.

I think the trick is to have good flavours to keep the taste buds sated, but just be aware of stock cubes and packet sauces – lots of carbs in some of them – use sparingly.

You might find more weight comes off in your second week – that often happens to me. Keep going! Like you I am determined this time – I don’t want to be sick and old and fat and wheezy either!

• posted by Spalmon
    on

Thanks everyone for your support. I’m feeling much better today , realised that this is the most I ever lost in a week and the scales say 81kg this morning so that’s two kilo gone in eight days – also noted that this is all water probably at the moment !. I bought a misfit yesterday ( cheap Fitbit!) so I can start tracking my steps, and also went to the gym. Also noted that my bad days are when I don’t drink enough liquid so bottle coming with me everywhere now!
    I’ve got a cold coming so breakfast today will be yoghurt, few berries and seeds to get some vitamin c in me.
    Have a great day everyone, we can do this! Xx

• posted by Lessmuffintop
    on

Hi Spalmon
    I completed 8 weeks on Bsd recently and lost 20lbs. And tbh it took me about 4 weeks to get the hang of what I was doing. My weight loss sped up when I read posts by Theodora try thread starting Jan 17 . I learnt 3 things.
    1. I was eating 800 but high carbs so I brought it down below 50.
    2. Discovered fasting overnight from one dinner to next so 24 hours had a pretty great effect both on weight and body fat (my main objective.. am about to be 53!). But try to always make it at least 16 hours but sometimes don’t make it.
    3 I make myself do cardio and a few weights in a HIT fashion every morning before eating between 10 mins min to 2 hours … I go with the flow. I bust a gut for 30 secs walking, bike, elliptical or a DVD then rest for 60 secs and do it 10 times. Has meant 6% reduction in body fat and yesterday I fitted into my daughters size 8 jeans (ok they are stretchy)!!.

I really feel I have cracked this for life!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Really pleased to have been of help, Lessmuffintop, and well done on fitting into size 8 jeans, stretchy or not😉

Since I’ve been on maintenance (20 weeks now) I have found fasting to be even more useful. It means I can indulge in a blow out occasionally, (but never any refined carbs) knowing that I can lose any small gain within 1 – 2 days. I recently did a 49.5 hour fast and lost almost 6lbs in a matter of a few days, bringing me to my lowest weight since starting this WOE 😄 A whole 6lbs wriggle room. As I have had rather an indulgent few days, some of that has now been used up, so I intend embarking on a 36 hour fast this evening (Sunday), from after dinner until breakfast on Tuesday. I heartily recommend it to anyone who thinks they can manage it and wants a kick-start. I always feel great when fasting (once you get used to the concept) and quite look forward to them.

Spalmon, you are quite right, water and keeping really well hydrated is key, and well done on your loss so far.

Gladys, well done to you too, and I agree that the tastier we can make our food, the easier this WOE is. So often we are feeding “mouth hunger” not actual hunger, and I think really tasty food helps combat this.

Keep going guys, you really can do this.😃

• posted by lordburnside
    on

By day 6 I had lost 7lbs then throughout the day had a hunger headache so I I ate steak and chips and yoghurt and berries. This put me right and I went out or a pub crawl. 4 pints nd two two gin and tonics followed by a chicken kebab!

I didn’t weigh myself at the usual time but I think that added 3/4 lbs in one day!

Will be back on track tomorrow. Staying in next Saturday!

• posted by JuniperT
    on

Had a bit of a blip yesterday but kept on counting calories and carbs. It was all down to not planning ahead!

I usually track my whole day before I eat anything, then I know I will keep to it. Yesterday I ate 1700cals but still less than 40% carbs. That’s almost certainly a lot less than I would have eaten on an average day pre-diet! Still, I’m only having one meal today costing 400cals plus berries and a drop of milk for tea and coffee. No chance that I’m going to let it spoil my progress so far.

Hope everyone else is having a good Sunday. We can do it!!

• posted by Spalmon
    on

Dear all thank you for your posts it’s so good to keep up with everyone.
    I shall look at the posts suggested, and thank you Theodora and Lessmuffintop for sharing your experience. I am very interested in the fasting idea but not at all sure I can do it! Did you guys work your way up to it – e.g. Skip breakfast first , then move lunch back , then go all the way to dinner, or did you just go for it?
    Hope everybody has a great evening – I’m feeling very virtuous after doing lots of exercise and sticking to my plan for food.
    I bought a spiraliser today so am looking forward to giving it a go! Xx

• posted by Theodora
    on

Spalmon – I was already practising 16:8 so, initially all I had to do was skip breakfast (which I normally have about 10.30am), and I had fasted for 24 hours. After that, it was a short step to skip dinner too, so by breakfast the next morning I had done 36 hours and I have done that fairly regularly. Honestly, once you have got to 24 hours, a longer fast is not that difficult – I hadn’t intended doing a 49 hour fast the other week, but by the time I got to breakfast after 36 hours, I seriously wasn’t hungry, so decided to go until dinner to make it a 2 day fast, but I was out so ended up having my dinner much later than usual, so it ended up 49.5 hours – I could easily have lasted until the next morning though. Again, hydration is absolutely key – I had nothing at all but water, and one cup of really strong black coffee for breakfast, just for the taste.

Fasting supposedly has so many benefits other than weight loss, and I am particularly interested in the autophagy aspect which, if you research it, all sounds logical and there appears to be some serious scientific evidence behind it. If it works, fantastic, if not then at least it helps me maintain my weight loss. Good luck if you decide to try it, well good luck whatever you decide.

• posted by Spalmon
    on

Thank you Theodora that makes perfect sense. I shall start by practicing 16:8 and progress from there. I’ve been reading your posts about your journey, very inspiring!
    Thanks for taking the time to post x

• posted by Macloud
    on

Blimey, this is a popular thread !

OK : an update, now that I have completed 5 weeks on the BSD.

I have now lost 17 lbs since my start on 21st August and currently weigh 188.2 lbs (85.4 kgs). My BMI Is now 26.7 (was 29.1 at start). Weight loss has slowed a bit, but was expected. To my surprise I have gobbled no naughties whatsoever this week and I have still kept off the bread, biscuits, cakes, alcohol, etc., since I started back in August. I never knew I had such resolve !

That said, I will confess to an average cals intake of 931 per day for this past week, which reveals a creeping tendency to nibble occasionally. Cheese is a favourite, alas. Must try harder. OTOH, I have restarted running twice a week which surely helps the balance.

Folks talk about ‘carbs’ in their posts. Do they mean sugars ? If so, my daily intake is averaging about 34 gms of sugars (from all sources), which is a whole lot less than what I used to swallow. I no longer miss sweet things but a thick wholemeal Marmite sandwich would be very welcome !

Overall I am very pleased with progress and I have so far avoided possibly hazardous social occasions that might derail me. I believe that is so important for success.

I have had a couple of stints at 5:2 and even 4:3 alternate day fasting before (with some success) but eventually got derailed, usually by some social occasion or holiday. But I sympathise with those who find it all very difficult, especially with work to attend or a young family to run. I am not sure I could have done that then. I am now retired, you see (with no excuse !).

So, plod on folks and keep the faith. Best of luck with the glorious BSD !

Macloud

• posted by lordburnside
    on

I am pleased to report that my beer and kebab incident on Saturday has cost me less than 2lbs. I am back on track now and hope to catch up by the nd of the week. So on day 8 I have still lost 5lbs. 23lbs to go.

on

Macloud your resolve and results are to be admired ! Well done!
    Lordburnside back on it is the key … I have had a few blips myself on the road but still plodding.

• posted by bolly
    on

Hi everyone,

I started the 800 cals BSD on 21st September. Had tests done by my doctor as I felt tired and quite dizzy, got out of breath easily etc. Tests revealed I’m prediabetic so I’m hoping a BSD diet will put me straight. I’m 1.65 m tall and 140lbs so I hadn’t really considered I was carrying an unhealthy weight. Looking back though I’ve put on 6 kgs in a year and my waist size is 102 cm so action needs to be taken. I’ve got a family history of immune system problems so evidently that’s why I’m goinmg to be prone to type 2 diabetes. I have an underactive thyroid and my son is Type 1 so we’re used to not having much sugar around. Although I do like chocolate!

I’ve already lost 1 kg in four/five days so I’m hoping I can do this and turn the test results around fairly fast. I’m eating real food and using my fitness tracker to monitor progress. Not feeling overwhelmingly hungry at the moment and I’m trying to convice my lazy dog that he needs walks even in the rain!

Great to read everyone’s progress on this diet, keep up the good work!

• posted by Spalmon
    on

Dear Bolly it’s lovely to hear from you and well done so far! After some insight shared by Theodora I’ve done the 16:8 today – after my dinner last night I didn’t eat again until lunchtime, this was surprisingly easier than I expected however I’ve been starving ever since , I don’t know if this is usual although I have tried to stay busy and drink loads to avoide derailing my plan. I will try to do same again tomorrow.
    Loss so far since 16th is 2.2 kg, I have another 14.8 kg to go to reach my target so I think it’s going to be a while!

Good lick for your journey I know you can do it! Xx

• posted by Spalmon
    on

Well done Mcloud and lordburnside on your losses to date, it’s so inspiring to read! X

• posted by Rookiesuze
    on

Hi All!

Sounds like you are all doing great! I started yesterday, but I’m probably aiming more to do the 5:2 BSD, or maybe 4:3 800. We’ll see how I go! I’m type 1 diabetic, so I’ve found every now and then I need to eat a jellybean to keep my low blood sugar at bay, so hopefully that won’t affect me too much.

For me it’s all going to come down to careful planning and willpower, neither of which I’m brilliant at. And managing my blood sugar levels.

So far I’ve made the Poached Eggs with Spinach and Pine Nuts, the Greek Salad and the Chickpea Chilli from the BSD recipe book. Does anyone else have any favorites?

• posted by Spalmon
    on

Hi Rookiesuze welcome to the group – I found I had to ease my way into this as I had been eating soooo much bad stuff. I went from 1200 cals and 90 g carbs and gradually worked down to about 800 cals although I haven’t got below 60 g carbs , as a veggie I am really finding that impossible there are carbs in everything !
    I haven’t tried any of the recipes yet , whilst I get myself under control I am sticking to really really basic things that I can measure really easily. When I feel a bit more confident I will try them though as the ones you have had sound lovely.
    I think you are right, planning is everything in this. And especially making sure I drink enough water, my worst days are where I have not drunk enough so I am water bottle Annie at the moment !
    I am trying to make a longer gap between dinner and first meal of the day as described by Theodora, it was fine yesterday but I can tell that today will be hard as I feel hungry right now. I am busy this morning so hopefully a combination of that and glugging loads of water will help.
    Have a great day everyone xx

• posted by lordburnside
    on

Day 9. Bit disappointed to still have lost 5 lbs. Yesterday lost 3 ounces! Had a full fat yoghurt with blueberries must keep off them they are really nice. Think my portions are getting bigger. The size of meat or fish stays the same but the veg portion is too big. My cross trainer has now been used 9 times so that’s a positive. Hoping for a big loss tomorrow.

• posted by JuniperT
    on

Hi Rookiesuze

I’ve tried a number of recipes from the 8 Week blood sugar diet recipe book. It’s well worth buying. Our favourites are Pancetta, broccoli and tomato gratin (340 cals), skinny aubergine lasagne (200 cals), Michael’s Thai fishcakes (130 cals each), cauliflower cheese (450 cals), Dr Unwin’s quick bacon and broccoli fry-up (430 cal), spicy fruit porridge (260 cals) and Greek yoghurt with nuts, seeds and berries (200 cals).
    I love cooking so enjoy trying new recipes. All these are simple to make and tasty.

Good luck with your weight loss!

• posted by lordburnside
    on

Day 11 of my diet and my weight loss is 8.8lbs. That’s 4kg in foreign. If that isn’t fantastic enough for the first time in 15 years I way less than 15 stone!. It may only be a few ounces/grams less but its a milestone for me. Will I be celebrating? NO! After my beer and kebab incident last week which put me back 4 days I intend to eat sensibly. Maybe a bottle of red wine over the weekend and that’s all.
    My next goal is to be under 200lbs so that’s probably another 11 days of diet to get there. I am keeping fruit to a minimum as it makes me snack so its salmon/haddock/tuna/steak plus loads of veg/salad – no mayo. My treat for the week is bacon egg and tomato on Sunday. Still doing 30mins on my crosstrainer every weekday (it was hard work this morning).

I really should do some walking as well but its cold wet and dark by 7 so maybe this weekend I might venture out.
    The upside of this diet is that I am never starving or wanting to snack. I feel I am running on empty sometimes at 5 o’clock and need some fuel. The downside was the headaches which may be down to poor hydration – they seemed to occur before a good weight loss.

I just wonder what I do when I complete the diet. Mashed potatoes/ crisps/chocolate are going to make me snack again. I can eat 3 bags of crisps without trying. I can eat a plate of mash and lie like a beached whale watching TV so I am going to have to watch my portions and maybe cut these out of my diet completely. I haven’t missed these bad foods at all but after 8 weeks I may – wait and see. Well done everyone who is succeeding and get back on track if you are not.

I am wearing a shirt today that I couldn’t wear two weeks ago. I only look 4 months pregnant now instead of 8 when I started.

• posted by lordburnside
    on

Theodora,

I am thinking that as my weight loss slows I could start fasting maybe miss out 2 meals now and again. I was just wondering when you did the 49 hour fast how much weight did you lose? I would imagine 5lbs +. Did you put on the weight when you ate again/

If it had an amazing effect on weight I think I would give it a try.

• posted by Spalmon
    on

Sorry for the radio silence for a couple of days. I’ve been full of a really vile cold and am afraid I’ve fallen off the wagon into a pit of white , disgusting squashy carbs. I’m really fed up with myself and dusting myself and starting over today . Lesson = one small slip with the wicked carbs very easily leads to a tsunami of awfulness so I need to stay much stronger about the type of food I put in my mouth.
    I’m so impressed with your achievements so far lordburnside well done and stick at it!
    How wonderful to wear that shirt again!
    I haven’t tried the long fast that Theodora mentions but have left the long gap between dinner one day and lunch the next day and that was actually quite easy so could try that first and then start stretching it longer ?
    Have a great day xx

on

Spalmon

That is what happens with colds -you want stodge! Forgive yourself , take some multi vits and be good today and have a few early nights! I too had a carb day yesterday and will hold off till 2 and eat a nice protein meal to try and get me back in the BSD way!

Hope it goes well!

• posted by bolly
    on

Hi everyone,

Thanks for good wishes and well done to everyone for being so motivated and doing so well. I think it’s going to be fine to have a few lapses every now and again, I’m not going to beat myself up if that happens, I’ll just get back on track asap. Some days you just need a carb or two!

I’ve been following this pretty strictly for a week now and I’ve lost 4lbs/1.8 kg. I already feel better, My sinuses are clearing and a heat rash I had for ages is now disappearing. Probably due to less yeast and sugar. I’m not finding it too hard to stick to, although the chocolate shouted too loudly at me last night for me to ignore it! I’m going to try a protein shake for evening meal tonight as I’ll be going out later and not have much time to organise food. Hoping that fills me up so I can last till breakfast tomorrow.

I’m hoping I can reach target of 9 stone (57kg) in about another 3 weeks. If I lose 4lbs a week I’ll do it.

Here’s to a good weekend!

• posted by lordburnside
    on

Day 12. Same weight as yesterday. I am surprised because all I had for tea was a glass of champagne, one tiny canapé followed by an apple. SO I have lost 8.4lbs in 12 days so I should be happy. Hoping for great weight loss next week! I have to say I feel better and my stomach is nearly not embarrassing.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Lordburnside, with regard to extended fasting, our situations are totally different so I’m not sure my experience will be relevant to you. I have been in maintenance for 5 months, and have never exceeded my target weight in all that time (in fact at present I am half a stone under) so I didn’t do the extended fast for weight loss, but because I had become interested in the health benefits, and autophagy.

However, during the fast itself I did lose 4lbs and, in fact, dropped another couple over the next few days, whilst eating normally. But we are all different and everyone’s body reacts differently. Fasting, and certainly extended fasting is quite extreme and certainly not for everyone and I’m not sure about the benefits of extended fasting for weight loss – my guess is that the weight may go back on unless you were very careful.

I use short fasts as a weekly maintenance tool and have grown to enjoy them, particularly if I am feeling over-indulged or bloated, and they allow me to relax a bit during the rest of the week, so if I fast on a Monday, say, I will drop a couple of pounds overnight, but it goes back on during the week, only to come off again the following Monday. The rest of the week I stay low carb but don’t calorie count.

I have always practised 16:8 anyway and have only ever eaten 2 meals a day, even before BSD, so skipping just one meal results in a 24 hour fast, and 2 meals results in a 36 hour fast., 16 of which you can spend in bed!

My advice to you, if you are interested in fasting, would be to practice 16:8 for a few weeks and see what happens. Then, if you want to, skip a meal occasionally to make it a 24 hour fast. Do a few of those, and then, if you find you want to go further, skip 2 meals to make it 36 hours.

Honestly, whilst I enjoy water only fasting and think it’s quite a healthy thing to do, it is quite extreme and definitely not for everyone – and remember we are all different so please don’t expect your body to mimic mine. I am certainly no expert on fasting, so can only give you the benefit of my personal experience. I hope it helps. Good luck with your weight loss, whatever you decide.

• posted by Spalmon
    on

Thanks for the support lessmuffintop, I know it is how my body responds to attack, but I am disappointed in my la k of resolve! However….I’ve had a good day back on plan so I think I’m back on track. It’s a marathon not a sprint . Happy weekend everyone xx

• posted by Macloud
    on

6 weeks in now on the BSD. How am I doing ?

I have now lost 19.6 lbs since my start on 21st August and currently weigh 185.6 lbs (BMI 26.3). This is a loss on the week of a modest 2.6 lbs.

I am pleased to say I checked the rot on calorie-creep by cutting back to a more satisfactory 846 average per day than the previous week’s 931 average. It actually includes one semi-disastrous day at 1162 cals, but we all have our off days. Can I reach the standard 800 per day ? We shall see.

I am still managing to avoid being derailed by social occasions. The anticipated attendance at a relative’s funeral, with the inevitable calorie-fest, did not happen as my wife was unwell and we ducked it. Looking ahead, I can see no similar possibly derailing social events either. It is SO important to avoid these if at all possible. It is certainly looking good for the finishing-straight of the 8 weeks on the BSD. Actually I plan to extend to 16 weeks .. but the family does not yet know this. I will get very limited family enthusiasm for this extension, I know, having been this way before.

All in all I am quite happy with progress. My routine is quite familiar now. I recall my early days at fretful calorie restriction back in 2004 or so when I used to try to limit myself to 1,700 cals per day (failing frequently). This now seems like gluttony to me ! This BSD is really something else .

Keep the faith folks and plod on !

Back, all being well, next Monday.

Macloud

• posted by lordburnside
    on

Well done. I think I would be rounding that up to 20lbs! SO it looks like you have lost half a pound a day on average.
    I lost 8lbs in 11 days but in the last 5 days I have lost ounces. This is day 15 for me and I have nearly lost 9lbs so I suppose I am slightly ahead. I have probably been on the 1100 calorie diet because I did not count them. I thought not eating potatoes etc was a step far enough. I am starting the 12 week online plan so I will take it very seriously from now. If I can lose 20lbs mor that is my goal. I want no beer belly by Christmas.

• posted by lordburnside
    on

Thanks for you detailed reply. I am going to give fasting a try when I have been naughty! For every 2 pints of lager I drink I will miss one meal. No kebabs!

• posted by lordburnside
    on

The last post was for Theodora.

Day 15 9lbs lost but on a plateau. Need to watch portion sizes.

• posted by bolly
    on

Happy Monday everyone!

Well done macloud! Sounds like you’re doing brilliantly.

I’ve lost 5lbs in about 10 days which is probably about the right rate for me. I had a treat last night of a g&t but with a slimline tonic is only 110 cals so I kept within the 800. Well, slightly over but there you go!

I’ve still got 9lbs to go so I’m hoping another couple of weeks should see me right. And prediabetes will have disappeared. Fingers crossed.

Definitely going to look at the 5:2 in future to keep this in check.

Please log in or register to post a reply.