Any advice?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by BMEJPE
    on

My husband and I will be doing this together. We are newbies and plan to start in a couple of days time – I need to get the larder sorted first!

Here comes the advice bit – we are 82 and 67 respectively. He is a well man, although has skeletal spinal mobility problems and needs to lose weight (guess that holds for all of us, eh?)! He wants to do the low carb plan. Is there any reason why he should not?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi there, this is a very nutrient full diet and I am not sure about what your husband has got but if he needs to lose weight that is surely going to be better for his spinal column. Cutting out the bad carbs is really all this diet is about unless you are doing 800 calories which can bring its own problems, mainly thinking what to eat and planning. If he is worried he could start with the 5:2 and see how he gets on with the fast days or just do the Med diet. If he is not doing 800 then just getting rid of the carbs is a good thing.

• posted by Lexy4france
    on

Sunshine-girl/ BMEJPE…..I think my hubby is going to cut out the bad carbs now which will bring the calories down anyway…..he is going to aim for a 1000 cal /60 gms carbs now ….as he’s tall ( but is 3stone overweight) .

I always think once you’re on a mission to really alter your way of eating and way of life it will always work…it has to ! As one becomes more thoughtful about what one chooses ….one looks at the science and the evidence.

Michael Mosely is a wonderful and thought provoking doctor and journalist.

• posted by BMEJPE
    on

Sunshine-girl /Lexy4france – thanks for your encouragement. My husband and I each aim to lose a couple of stone to begin with. That will make a huge difference. My husband wants to do the 800 cal programme alongside me, hence my asking for your thoughts. We have each followed a Cambridge type program in the past with great success but about 10 years ago, so 10 years younger. I think your idea, Lexy4france, of 1000 calls/60grm carb a day has merit, and as I shall be orchestrating the meals, he won’t really know. Weight will pour off him if he stops alcohol, but being an alpha male, he doesn’t like being told this!
    Thanks again for your support. The book arrives tomorrow and we start on Thursday 12th. Fingers crossed. Happy New Year to us all.

Please log in or register to post a reply.