Any advice re Lactulose

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Shyshihtzu
    on

Not a brilliant subject on a Saturday night, but just had a delayed light bulb moment! I am almost at the end of my 1st week of the BSD, but think I may have scuppered my weight loss because of taking Lactulose. I have to this following several abdominal surgeries, and sadly, it’s an ongoing problem. Has anyone any advice? I’ve searched the forums but not found anything.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I’ve never even heard of it but it sounds like it might be a sugar from the name. Is it? If it is don’t worry, just count it.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Shyshihtzu – I don’t think you have scuppered your weight loss at all. Lactulose can’t be absorbed as apparently we don’t have the enzymes to absorb or break it down. The gut bacteria feed on it and it causes faster transit. I take inulin which seems to have a similar action resulting in very fast transit. With Inulin I have to watch how much I take as it can cause explosive activity which is quite embarrassing. The sugars in Inulin are not absorbed by the body either.

• posted by Shyshihtzu
    on

Thank you so much KrysiaD, I wasn’t sure what would happen if I carried on taking it, but you have certainly helped put my mind at rest. It sounds like you understand very well, some of the less beneficial sides of Lactulose. I’ll see what the scales say in the morning! 😕

• posted by Shyshihtzu
    on

Thanks for replying to my query Mixnmatch. Appreciate you taking the time to post a comment. KrysiaD has given me some good news regarding Lactulose, hopefully it won’t affect my weight loss efforts this week. I’m not dreading the weighing scales quite as much as I was!

• posted by diggreen
    on

inulin is in jerusalem artichokes …
    sorry vaguely irrelevant but I felt the need to share.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Shyshihtzu
    Good luck with your weigh in this morning.

Diggreen – onions, leeks, garlic, asparagus and chicory root all contain inulin also. Because of the T2D I have to keep the carbs fairly low. So adding 20g of Inulin significantly ups my fibre without adding carbs. I did try 30g of inulin recently – only for one day because it triggered some explosive gut activity – so am back on 20g.

• posted by Shyshihtzu
    on

Well, not too bad for my first week. ….I’ve lost 5lbs! Still feel like I’m treading treacle re BSD, but I will read the book again and get things even clearer in my head. Thanks KrysiaD for your support, albeit through cyberspace 😊

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Great weight loss Shyshihtzu. Any questions just ask – there is so much expertise and support on this forum. It’s an invaluable resource – I log on every day as it has really helped me.

• posted by Shyshihtzu
    on

Thanks KrysiaD, I was pleasantly surprised myself lol. I have logged in each day, and would ask more questions, if I could figure out how to post comments without having to start a new thread every time. I only managed to post my weight because I hopped on the back of a previous one! I’ve tried searching, but to no avail. There should be an idiot sheet for numpties like me 😶

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Shyshihtzu
    I am a tech numpty also and have just lost a post to you by coming off the website before your post had posted on the site.

Will try again.

You can post on any thread by typing your reply in the box at the bottom of each thread. Or if you press the reply button next to the new topic button at the right hand side of the post you are reading it will take you to the reply box at the bottom of each thread.

Hope that is helpful.

• posted by Lara
    on

Hi Shyshihtzu. You need to be logged in and go to the last page of the thread that you’re responding to. I’ve found that if you’re not on the last page when you type your post and press submit, it disappears!

• posted by Shyshihtzu
    on

Eureka! So that’s that then…..I am now tech savvy 👍Well, not really, but thanks to your combined efforts, I may be able to join in a bit more. 😊

Please log in or register to post a reply.