Any advice on tofu please!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I have managed to get to the grand old age of 42 and have managed to successfully avoid tofu all that time. But today I was brave and bought it. But looking at the instructions, it says I have to put it between two chopping boards for at least ten minutes to get the liquid out. I see two problems with this, 1) I don’t own two chopping boards and 2) I really don’t think I can be ar**ed.

I would like to know what other people do with their tofu to make it liquid free or otherwise just edible. What am I dealing with here?

Thanks in advance!

• posted by Matrika
    on

You can use plates instead of boards…or bowls with some water in for weight.

I think you only need to get the water out if you are going to deep fry the tofu…if you are using it in soup or a strir fry, it doesn’t matter so much. Silken tofu is the easiest type to manage, very soft…I just cut it into pieces and pour some soy sauce on it, sometimes with some grated fresh ginger in it.

You can search online for tofu recipes…sure you’ll find something you want to try.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Thanks Matrika
    I will give two plates a try. The recipe I have is for an alfredo sauce with courgette fettuccine from Rose Elliot’s vegetarian low carb book. I might try the silken tofu next time. 😍

• posted by auntylil
    on

Yes, tofu! My relationship with it is rather on infrequently/mainly off, but would say it only works in my opinion if marinated thoroughly. Worth pursuing as it is very good, just whichever way I’ve tried it it resembles polystyrene in different forms. Another of your favourites – quinoa, which I had last night with some veg curry; I added some grated nutmeg and butter and found it quite nicer than before. Another one of those things that is worth including because it is good for you.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Thanks auntylil. There is definitely a pattern here. All the things that are ‘good for me’ are hideous! But still, I have managed to avoid all the things I really like (apart from coffee!) for nearly 9 days now so if it can’t be that bad. How has the back end of week 2 been for you?

• posted by auntylil
    on

Thanks for asking – not good 🙁 Extremely light headed and faint and I have been drinking lots of water. That leads to having to be cautious about being near enough to a loo at all times. I suspect low blood pressure as well as low blood sugar, and remember I am not diabetic or pre-diabetic.

I toppled when having physiotherapy for a shoulder injury yesterday. Got told off. Nicely though. I think ketosis isn’t kicking in because I haven’t lost weight or inches during this 2nd week and I have been strict about the diet, so, I may have to switch to 5:2. I had two oat bics with butter and a dab of honey earlier so I could safely drive my car and take the dogs for a walk on a towpath as haven’t the strength to walk up hill. I am not usually so miserable, I am a problem solving type of a person but this is beating me. I know I am supposed to be exercising and unable to, so as my gp is supportive I am going to seek advice. Also, and you may know about this – mushrooms, Miso and Soy Sauce I think have lead to thrush, that’s why for years I avoided them but I stuck to the diet and now I am suffering!

I have followed some of your comments in the forum and well done you, you seem to be flying girl.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Sorry to hear you are suffering at the moment. Did I read that you recently had an operation? If so, would it be possible that you haven’t allowed enough time for your body to heal itself? I don’t think 800 calories were ever meant to cover healing as well as just basic nourishing. And also to add more exercise on top might be asking too much just now.

As for me, I’m doing ok by my own standards but I haven’t lost anything as of day 3 of my second week. Not too worried, again could be any number of reasons including not counting properly, as per my post on olive oil.

I’m glad you are going to see your doctor. Be kind to yourself for a few days and I’m sure you will find your equilibrium once again.

• posted by auntylil
    on

Thank you for that – there’s wisdom in it : ) I did have some minor surgery which was more of an emotional issue than physical if I’m honest and contributed to me facing up to there needing to be some changes. I’m glad you shared the thing about olive oil as I think I’ve been too liberal with it – all those years of being of the impression I shouldn’t use it and when I read it has so many calories I’m giving more thought to quantities not just quality. I need a personal food trainer.

The book ‘Peace and Parsnips’ arrived yesterday and it is wonderful – can’t recall who recommended it on here now but whoever you are a very generous thank you hug from me. It’s supposed to be £22 but I found it for less than half, so yes, I am kind to myself but some gentle realignment is also required!

Looks like weeks 2 and 3 are bigger challenges than week 1 for a lot of people so roll on week 4!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Lol yes! I can’t help but wonder how often I will want to invest so many calories in olive oil, and rapeseed oil is just the same. I’ll look out for the book you mentioned. I had a look at the blog and immediately found the recipe for raw chocolate brownies, they sound just heavenly! I am reading Rose Elliott’s low carb veg diet and finding it very complementary to the bsd.

Please log in or register to post a reply.