An incredible journey-moving on

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Mike6
    on

Hi, I have been on BSD 10 weeks and in that time my life has changed dramatically. I had/have diabetes for 10 years. I was taking 70units of insulin a day. I had been diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment 2 years ago, which a neurologist said was not curable. I have been in hospital with heart problems, The cardiologists told me that I don’t get chest pain, just shortage of breath because my diabetes has damaged the nerves around my heart. To get to the point I also had other organs in my body that were not working as they should.
    In week 3 of the BSD I noticed that my short term memory was improving and as the weeks went on the ability to process thought had came back, I could now do a lot of the memory tests that I couldn’t do before. Over the next weeks I noticed my other organs had started working. I have also lost 12kg.
    My life has changed so dramatically for the good. I would welcome any comments to help me maintain my new life.

• posted by Janeycoughdrop
    on

Wow Mike! You are a shining example of WHY people should change to this way of eating.. the health benefits are measurable and proven! You must be feeling a million times better than 10 weeks ago! Keep it up and look forward to the longterm benefits of changing your habits 🙂

• posted by Nettle
    on

Mike6
    What a story. If you reread your story surely that will be motivation to maintain this new way of living. Living being the key word. I hope the medical personnel involved in your care are taking note and not attributing the results as anecdotal. You could be giving so many people the lift they require to carry on with this great new plan.

Thanks for an inspirational story.
    N

• posted by Mike6
    on

Thanks for your kind comments Janeycoughdrop and nettle. I have been given my life back by this incredible diet. Thank you Michael Mosley.
    I wanted to let people know what harm diabetes can actually do to your body long term and how this diet can prevent it or even turn it around.
    Mike6

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Mike, just wanted to add my congratulations. What an inspirational story and I wish you continued health improvements.

The BSD has encouraged me to read more about low carb/high fat diets and there is other research which suggests that it can assist neurological problems, which would be an added benefit.

My OH and I have noticed additional “liveliness” (difficult to know what else to call it) since cutting out refined carbs. He is Type 2 and has other liver problems and was always “dopey” and lethargic in the mornings. Often slept in, saying he was tired.

Now both of us are wide awake and alert early, and he is generally just behind me getting up for his coffee. It’s Saturday, before 9, and he has been up and about for nearly an hour already.

May be silly, but such a change.

And the best thing is, this isn’t difficult – the food is great, it’s adaptable to every life style, with a little thought you can set yourself up for most occasions/needs. And if you step away from the principles, you can watch the effects and then get back on the wagon.

I had despaired of “getting back into control” – although my issues were minor ones compared to some people’s, they were important to me. But now I want to tell people to try, as the results may be beyond their wildest dreams.

Very best wishes to you – and to everyone here on their journey 🙂

• posted by Izzy
    on

Congratulations on getting your life back Mike! Very pleased for you that this has turned your life around and thank you for posting your story.

• posted by josie53
    on

Well done Mike you sound like you are on your way to more improvements in your health, its great for us all to come on here and be inspired by other peoples journeys

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Mike6,
    You’ve already proven to yourself that this way of life suits you – stick with low carb med style with some intermittent fasting and you’ll keep feeling fabulous.
    You’ll know how to control what you eat and drink and how often to add fasting.
    All power to you.

• posted by Mike6
    on

Again thanks for your kind encouragement guys. There must be others who are in the same condition that I was in 2 years ago that haven’t heard about the diet. I found out by seeing Michael Moseley on a TV programme .
    For the last 2 years I would have done anything to have stopped my condition from getting worse, I never dreamed that I could actually ever feel as good as I do now.
    Mike6

Please log in or register to post a reply.