An article on carbohydrates, western vs other societies diabetes rates & obesity

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Hawks
    on

(I am posting in this forum, because this isn’t specific to any one of the diet formats, and there isn’t another general forum, so I hope that’s OK.)
    I came across this article which is very interesting: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3402009/
    It isn’t a very light read being a scientific journal, and doesn’t answer questions, but suggests further study is needed, however it does make some points that others might be interested in.

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

So that is a light read for Hawks? The abstract from 2012 is definitely not an easy read for me given the language used but it is an interesting paper and states that it was not a funded one that may be significant or not. The line from the conclusions that “A dietary pattern with carbohydrates exclusively from cellular low-density sources may remove the root cause of a range of our most prevalent diseases.” could well be true. Hopefully the tide is turning but it is a slow process with many pockets of resistance to change.

• posted by Natalie
    on

I only read the abstract, which was fascinating in itself. My translation is that heavily processed Western foods cause inflammation because our gut bacteria are more suited to an “ancestral diet”. It is healthier to eat “a diet of grain-free whole foods with carbohydrate from cellular tubers, leaves, and fruits”. It seems to suggest a Paleo diet as being good for us.

• posted by Chongololo
    on

Ad libitum – to eat as much as desired when hungry.. This is the approach Bill1954 took! I have read his comment son the forums and he says he now eats so much less than he used to, as well. Perfect example!

very interesting article indeed – it’s true that agriculture has developed (plant breeding and methods) for maximum yields/shelf life/conditions tolerance. These changes to the plants, and our subsequent processing of the grains looks like it may have been a mistake – but, food is important!

no doubt highly processed tubers and fruits (to satisfy shelf life/transport etc) may still turn out to be an issue.

I don’t think the world can go backward to subsistence farming, we couldn’t feed our population if everyone went paleo in one fell swoop. (yes, that’s the extreme and will never happen, but illustrates the point).

On the other hand – the slashing of healthcare costs if those who could, did… would make it worth it and free up money to assist those in food deserts.

great article, thank you for sharing it.

Please log in or register to post a reply.