Am l too old to use the BSD?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Floraellen
    on

I am 68 years old and 14st 9lbs. Have been type 2 diabetic for 5years. I was resigned to the fact that this was my all until l read the book. My GP was less than enthusiastic and said l was too old for the low cal diet and suggested a slimming club and a low fat diet. I am worried that without being monitored l could have a few problems. I do have high blood pressure and take statins. I really would like to hear from anyone around my age who has tried this diet.

• posted by Cazzowary
    on

My mum is doing it with me and she’s 76- day 24 and counting. She’s generally healthy except for recently diagnosed pre-diabetic fasting glucose readings and isn’t having any problems (we live in the same house and I’m doing the cooking). I think there are a few people around your age who have posted here so they’ll probably be able to help. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

• posted by Hopeful
    on

Hello ,
    I am 67 years old, weigh 14stone 9lbs and have been type 2 Diabetic for 6 years, am also on statins.
    I started the diet last week and was 14stn 11 lbs, so I have lost 2lbs in a week, haven’t been able to do that in 6 years!!!
    Also go for 1/2 hour walks at least once a day. My blood sugar levels have gone down, so not using as much insulin which will also help with losing weight.
    Give the diet a go, you have nothing to lose apart from weight and see your diabetic nurse if you have any queries, and don’t let anyone tell you you are too old to do anything you want to do!!

• posted by happysheryl
    on

Flora, I am in my 60’s too and will be starting on Monday.

First of all, may I say get a new doctor! I start on Monday so can’t really share my experience yet, but from everything I’ve read, eating lower carb and/or following a low glycemic load diet is the way to go for our blood sugar issues, and I believe Dr. Mosley is right on the mark with that. Adding in the 8 week thing and/or 5:2 is like icing on the cake. I am so confident that will really help me. The best to you!

• posted by GrumptoGlam
    on

Hi there,
    My 73 year old mum put the book in my hand. My dad is type 2, she’s already fed him so well that his GP is in awe of the change in his numbers. He has come off statins which is great for many other reasons… Mum is also starting this week to loose some weight gained in the last year or so. I hope you give it a go and are reassured by some of the success stories on this forum. Good luck! X

• posted by FloraDora
    on

Hi, I am 67 years old, my weight was 15stone 7 pounds. I was diagnosed as a T2 Diabetic in September 2015. I have been following a low carb diet and have reduced my blood sugar readings, and now weigh 13 stone 7 pounds. I am not content! I really like the sound of Dr Michael Mosley’s 8 week diet plan. My husband and I have both just started and are looking forward to slimmer and healthier bodies!

• posted by Arran Granny
    on

I was diagnosed in October as T2 and just given Metformin – no discussion or anything. I read as much as I could and in answer to the question no-one is too old. I was most heartened by some of the stories and mainly from older people. They are the ones with life experience. Some of their stories were heartrending such as the 70 year old who , after not being able to leave the house for 5 years due to the side effects of Metformin, had decided to give up on life. A friend who visited daily had coincidentally heard about the low carb diet and persauded this lady to follow the diet on the basis that it couldn’t do her any harm as she had given up anyway. Within 6 months she found her life again as she had been at 65 and was fit and off all medication. So I am following the BSD blood sugars are reducing and so is weight. You are never too old. If you want to read more about the alternatives google Metformin, side effects , low carb diet

• posted by Zandranna
    on

@floraellen – I”m 67 and on statins, and betablockers. Diagnosed T2 late last year.

I am feeling great on this diet.

This is not actually a low carb diet, it’s a low sugar diet. We are getting plenty of carbs, but good carbs. Bread, potatoes, pasta and rice are the bad carbs which turn into far too much sugar. We are simply substituting those for good carbs.

It’s the low fat style of eating that has been slowly poisoning us by feeding us overloads of sugar.

Don’t think of this as a low carb diet (it’s not) it’s a low sugar diet.

68 is not old and your Doctor is an idiot.

• posted by happysheryl
    on

Zandranna, you are right! My book will be arriving today, but as I look at the recipes on this site, I realize this is not your typical low carb diet. It is what we call in the States low glycemic load, which allows you good carbs like certain fruits and veg. I think if I had to count carb grams all day, I would lose my mind, and I hope that’s not advised in the book! Yes, a low sugar diet is good!

• posted by Floraellen
    on

Thankyou for all the replies. I was so down after the GP and a bit frightened about starting this diet as she was not the least bit interested in anything I had to say. I haven’t checked my blood sugar so dont know where l am yet, but l did measure myself and shock shock l am the same bust and hip size and my waist isn’tmuch smaller deffinately time for a change.

• posted by Clare (BSD Admin)
    on

Hi Floraellen I am sorry to hear that your GP is not very sympathetic to your diet plans. As a GP myself I know we tend to be a bit conservative about new things! Can I suggest you print off Professor Roy Taylor’s excellent information sheet in the link below. It is best to have your GP on board if possible.
    https://thebloodsugardiet.com/information-for-professionals/
    You may need to reduce your blood pressure tablets on the diet, but you are not too old!

• posted by Natalie
    on

I do feel sorry for GPs who have to keep up with all the latest medical science, have almost no training in nutrition so have to just follow government guidelines, and who have all these clients come in having self-diagnosed themselves off the internet or wanting to try a “crazy” new diet! But yours sounds terrible. Too old at 68 to get healthier? Or ever? And not listening to you. I know some places in the world you are assigned a doctor and might not have the choice to change, but if you have the chance go and find a doctor who will at least listen to your concerns and try to help you, even if they don’t agree with this particular plan.

• posted by gateofheaven
    on

I’m 65 with multiple significant health issues; not even able to exercise and I am doing well on the diet! Go for it! I’m feeling much better today than when i started. I also take my blood pressure as well as my blood sugars to make sure all is well and stay on top of changes. This way my doctor can help me modify the meds I take – which we have already done once!

• posted by Clare (BSD Admin)
    on

Hi Gateofheaven – Great to hear that you are doing well on the diet that your GP is supporting you. Most GPs are usually delighted when patients are proactive about their health. It’s helpful too that you are monitoring your BP and blood sugars.

Natalie you are right, if Michael and I are representative, doctors get little or no training in nutrition in our case (we met in medical school before we married).
    Anyway, good luck to all of you and hope you find the right approach for you.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi. I’m 65, Type 2 for 6 years, diet controlled. I’ve been following the BSD for six weeks tomorrow, losing 22 pounds, my fasting blood sugars have gone from 10.9 to normally in the 5s with the odd one in the 6s. Previously I could rarely get it below 7. I’ve lost a good dress size, with 6 inches off my waist. Saw the diabetes nurse today and my previously high BP (on 2 medications) is now low! Looking to come off the meds 😊. I’m keeping careful records of what I eat, calories, fasting blood sugar and blood sugar at bedtime. Also noting weight, BMI (down from 40.9 to 36.9), and measurements. That’s the control freak side of me – but it helps show reason for any odd result, and keeps me going. We’re not too old. I feel so much better, joints aches less, persistent cough has gone, thinking more clearly 😃

• posted by Floraellen
    on

Too late now if l am too old. Have been on a nearly bsd for a week now. Haven’t got all the ingredients yet. Even so l have lost 8 lbs which l am absolutely thrilled with. My fasting blood sugar remains at 9 mmol and it will be good to see that down. Never have been good at taking lots of fluid so find this a bit hard but it is getting better. This forum has helped no end and if l feel a bit low or hungry l just read all the goals you have all achieved at l can carry on. Thanks again everyone.

• posted by gateofheaven
    on

Wahoo! Floraellen. Tickled for your success. Please do keep monitoring your blood pressure as well as your sugars. My blood pressure went down first! Wouldn’t want you to faint!
    I think with careful monitoring, this old foggey will show ’em. And, it looks like you will too! How wonderful!
    My blood sugars finally came down to a nice normal (below 100) the beginning of the 4th week. 83 this morning (US measurements).
    Is there a way to change to another physician? I really believe monitoring is key on both sides for many of us.

• posted by Floraellen
    on

Unfortunatly my GP left so l am in limbo finding one that l can communicate with.. The one l saw treated me like a dim wit. I thought l would monitor myself as much as possible and after a couple of weeks go back and say ‘now can we dicuss my treatment’. Like get me off all this medication cus l dont need it any longer. Gosh how l would love to say that

• posted by Arran Granny
    on

Keep going and monitor yourself Floraellen. Its your life and your body. I bought myself a blood sugar monitor and already had a bp one. I love the comment in the book where it is said that as soon as you are diagnosed with T2 you will be thrown medication quicker than you can say CocaCola. I was- without even seeing a doctor. I disputed needing to be on Metformin so it was agreed that I could have a 3 month trial on diet and exercise.No advice given though. I took the Metformin when I found my bs was 15. I lasted a week and was so ill I came off it again. Started on the blood sugar diet and have lost weight and my bs is reducing. This even although, so far, I have not been very strict due to my husband and I both having significant birthdays in January. So we have had family meals out, a holiday in Rome and a final birthday bash this weekend. Then I will be strict. So be heartened and keep going – treating your body the way you want it to be treated not how someone else dictates. You will be able to tell your doctor that you don’t need medication once you are stabilised – and you will make that happen.

• posted by Madcook67
    on

Well done Flora, that was the right move. I am 72 and started the BSD 2 weeks ago. Since then i have reduced my insulin intake by 4 units a day and my readings are in the pre-diabetic range for the first time in 10 years. My objective is to cease all medicatio n for diabetes over the 8 week period. Ill keep everyone posted either way. My wife, who not diabetic,, is following the same diet and has.lost 9lbs in the 2 weeks compared to my three..Im feeling so much fitter already.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Floraellen,
    My Mum turned 75 this week and has been doing the BSD with me. This weekend will start our fourth week on the diet.
    She only had a few kg to lose but was quite concerned about finding it harder lately to get her fasting BGL’s under control. She has had some cardiac problems and is on statins. She loves the food and the feeling of being in control now.
    Her GP this week told her that she was her star patient and was very interested in the BSD. The GP couldn’t believe the results that Mum had achieved in such a short time. Her BP was down to 120/60 and fasting blood sugars consistently in the 4’s and low 5’s. She has promised to read the book and has sent Mum for another lot of fasting bloods. We are hoping that her cholesterol will be down too and that she will be allowed to cease or reduce some medications.
    So the short answer is that at 68 you are definitely not too old!! Go for it.

Please log in or register to post a reply.